Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Feds announce new pilot safety rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feds announce new pilot safety rules

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by mellon
or how many will miss the runways in Halifax almost land on a taxiway in SFO or tail strikes in HKG. Reality its the ancient 320s and very poor pilot training and the new "sleep" rules are just union featherbedding.
On a flight safety point of view, I'd much rather an aircraft designed in the 80s to use computers then an aircraft designed in the early 60s and "tweaked" to the point it no longer has positive stability throughout its commercial envelope.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
To get away from the reporting hyperbole, here is a link to a summary of the changes:
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...anagement.html

Generally seems pretty sensible, though I'm not an expert in the field.
mellon likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Why would I do that? I have not doubted the veracity of the wind shear claim. I'm genuinely curious what you saw that led you to claim you viewed the shear phenomenon from your seat.
I cannot speak for others, but I certainly can accept that the conditions associated with wind shear are often visible at some airports. For example, when I am on the approach or landing during one of the more intense thunder/rain storms in SE Asia, and I look out the window at the mess, and turbulence then occurs, I know that there is a high risk of wind shear.

One could argue that a fatigued pilot might not be able to react as quickly or appropriately as a non fatigued pilot. I am not a qualified pilot, but I do accept what the experts have said that SE Asia airports like Hong Kong have the classic weather conditions associated with wind shear.

Now, in your capacity as an experienced pilot of large aircraft such as the B777 or B787 landing at Hong Kong, if you say that wind shear is not discernible to passengers based upon visible characteristics and weather conditions, then I will certainly take your expert opinion into consideration.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
For example, when I am on the approach or landing during one of the more intense thunder/rain storms in SE Asia, and I look out the window at the mess, and turbulence then occurs, I know that there is a high risk of wind shear.
Sure. We can recognize weather phenomenon that may include wind shear, for example a downdraft with associated precipitation, or the effects of moving air on water bodies you can see out the window. Can you spot the shear itself? My flying includes a lot time spent in turbulent air close to the ground with lots of visible particulate matter (smoke) in the air. It's very very difficult to point to a wind shear and say "oh, there's one". I certainly anticipate one, feel it, and see it in the form of what the instruments are telling me.

One could argue that a fatigued pilot might not be able to react as quickly or appropriately as a non fatigued pilot.
One could certainly argue that. But why would one insert this unsubstantiated variable into the discussion?

(*edited to add: I thought we were in the Scary Winnipeg thread; seems we're in the fatigue regs thread. Maybe we should move the AC15/wind shear discussion over there).

I am not a qualified pilot, but I do accept what the experts have said that SE Asia airports like Hong Kong have the classic weather conditions associated with wind shear.
OK. Were there any assertions to the contrary?

Now, in your capacity as an experienced pilot of large aircraft such as the B777 or B787 landing at Hong Kong, if you say that wind shear is not discernible to passengers based upon visible characteristics and weather conditions, then I will certainly take your expert opinion into consideration.
One doesn't have to precisely match the circumstance in order to accumulate relevant experience or express a qualified opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.