Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin / closet in J?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
I am aware that the bins in Y are smaller than in J, but with same on both sides. But are they too small for the allowed carry on size?
I honestly don't know. Are they different than the CR9? If so, one could be forgiven for carrying on a bag that fits on one aircraft but not another.

The "allowed carry on size" itself differs on every trip I've taken.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The moral of the story is: don't fly on a CR7.
Good thing AC doesn't operate CR7s and never has.
Stranger and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The confusion may be the AC did operate the CRJ 705 for some time. The 705 is a CRJ 900 that has went through a paper exercise to reduce the number of passengers the aircraft is certified for. They tend spent money to go through a paper exercise to turn them back into 900s. Not certain if it also involves a softwre upgrade or not.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The confusion may be the AC did operate the CRJ 705 for some time. The 705 is a CRJ 900 that has went through a paper exercise to reduce the number of passengers the aircraft is certified for. They tend spent money to go through a paper exercise to turn them back into 900s. Not certain if it also involves a softwre upgrade or not.
But it was referred to as the CRA, not the CR7.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Did anybody state that they did?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Did anybody state that they did?
OP did.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
OP did.
In which post was Air Canada mentioned?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
In which post was Air Canada mentioned?
OP said CR7 in the very first post. I suppose he could have been talking about an Aeroplan branded aircraft. Or a CR7 on another carrier (in which case, expectations of special treatment for an incognito SE would be even more weird).

But this is the Air Canada forum, so...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
I was flying on a CR7, in row 12. My luggage could not fit in the overhead bin (no issues with a prior flights on CR9, Q400, etc.), so I left it there. After boarding, the FA did her check, and asked "whose bag is this". Here is how the conversation went...

FA: "you have to put it under your seat"
Me: "do you have space in the closet" (note 2 pax in J, and obviously the closet had space)
FA: "it's for business class only"
Me: "but can I put it there, since you have space?"
FA: "Again, and as I told you no, it's for business class"

At which point, I went ahead and put it under the seat in front of me.

Q: why do you have to be awfully rude, especially to a S100K passenger, and why can't I put my bag in the closet if you have space? Thoughts?
I don't necessarily condone the way the FA spoke to you, but I think you could have likely achieved a much better outcome to this process with a different approach, which I think is what you're getting at.

As someone who spends far more time on CRA/CR9 than he would like, I would make the following observations:
  • The bins on those aircraft are tight. Depending on how full the bins are and where you're trying to fit the bag in, even a fully legal carry-on may not fit properly. This can be true even if there is space for the bag itself - the geometry of the bins and the bin doors may not allow one to get a bag in without breaking the door off. And there's really not enough bin space for the number of seats on the plane. So, provided your bag wasn't oversized, I can sympathize.
  • There are fewer seats in J, but even less bin space after accounting for the fewer seats - the DF side bins may be slightly larger than they are in Y, but the A side bins are totally useless. It is often necessary to use most or all of both closets simply to hold bags from the J cabin.
  • The closets in J are intended for J passengers. I would have no problem with the FA telling you that the bins were for J passengers, but that if there was space after the J cabin had boarded fully, you could put your bag in there. And I would have no problem with your bag going in there, under those circumstances, and have seen this done on a few occasions in the past. I have also seen bags from Y being brought up to sit under empty seats in J after the plane has boarded and the bins and closets have been full.
  • I suspect you would have received a better response from the FA had you not left your bag sticking out of the bin and instead had proactively asked the FA what you could do with it, and whether it would be possible to place it in the J closets, space permitting.
  • I don't want to get in to some tiresome discussion about dick-measuring contests or peacocking or plumage, but in my experience, having elite, and especially SE, tags on bags can be useful in situations like this. Right away, it tells the FA that this bag doesn't belong to some FOTSG but to someone who is a fairly important customer to AC, and they tend to react slightly differently as a result.
jc94 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:47 pm

OP said CR7 in the very first post.
True. But that wasn't my question.
I suppose he could have been talking about an Aeroplan branded aircraft.
A what, sorry?
Or a CR7 on another carrier
Perhaps. Which renders ChrisA330's retort moot. Which is where I was going with this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Right away, it tells the FA that this bag doesn't belong to some FOTSG but to someone who is a fairly important customer to AC, and they tend to react slightly differently as a result.
Sadly, I believe this to be an accurate assessment of many staff, and it's a primary example of why Air Canada (indeed any airline with this attitude) suffers from a chronically low public opinion.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
FYI, Jazz always referred to them internally as CR7. At least between the crews.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Perhaps. Which renders ChrisA330's retort moot. Which is where I was going with this.
Where did @ChrisA330 say that someone suggested AC flew CR7s? He could have been saying that he's happy the problem experienced in the OP isn't prevalent on AC because the bins are different on the CR9.

Or, he could have assumed the op was referring to an AC A/C because, well, the forum title says it.

My point is, that each of us has filters with which we interpret what we read.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Q: why do you have to be awfully rude, especially to a S100K passenger, and why can't I put my bag in the closet if you have space? Thoughts?
A couple of points to answer the question at hand.

I would argue the J bins have less total space vs Y given the very small bins in the A side of the aircraft, so protecting extra storage for J pax is a prudent thing to do.

Also, how did you know the closet had lots of space? Did you consider there could be stowage restrictions in this closet, and while it might look like there is lots of space, it’s possible it was getting full already. I know it's not the same aircraft, but the E75/E90 have this restriction Overflow J bags in closet: E170

Lastly, flip the situation around. If you were flying J and needed the closet, but it was full of Y bags, I would bet you’d be even less impressed than you were on this occasion.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Dec 11, 2018 at 7:12 am
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:57 am

Who are you to question the FA that your bag should go into their closet? I think you are rude to begin with, hence the uncooperative response.
If I was the crew I would say "sorry there's no space" or " this is for crew use only, your other alternative is to gate check"

Communication is a two-way street, flashing off a shiny S100K is just an attention grabber IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.