Question: Short on AQD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan
Question Short on AQD

hi everyone,

first post here.

I am will be way pass 50K on miles this year (>60K). But I am short of AQD (about 2k) since most of my flight are international J and AC is more than 20% more expensive than other members. Also I have a flight on Jan 5th with AC, which should be enough to get to 6K.

1. Can I fight for the Jan 5th flight, ticket already purchased.
2. would I get a buy-up

Thank you
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by skjj
hi everyone,

first post here.

I am will be way pass 50K on miles this year (>60K). But I am short of AQD (about 2k) since most of my flight are international J and AC is more than 20% more expensive than other members. Also I have a flight on Jan 5th with AC, which should be enough to get to 6K.

2. would I get a buy-up

Thank you
1. Nope
2. Unknown

The rules and benefits for Air Canada Status are published and quite straightforward. You need to achieve that AQD to trigger that respective status! Less than 30 days before year end so its quite simple, do you want to spend the necessary funds to achieve the status you want. Is that spend worth the value of the status? I like to break it down to these simple terms! Good luck.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
1) no
2) Possibly, but AC likely cares more about your cash then your body moving segments or distances, so less likely then the standard unknown level of likely
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
hi everyone,

first post here.

2. would I get a buy-up

Thank you
Welcome to FT.

If you’re looking for a way to earn the missing $2k in AQD, there’s another thread that can offer some ideas and assistance: Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

However, the answers to your questions are “no” and “maybe.” If you want to be absolutely sure of hitting E50, you should find a way to earn the necessary AQD before the end of the year.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
hi everyone,

first post here.

2. would I get a buy-up

Thank you
Op ,

Are you saying that you haven't been loyal to AC because their flights have been more expensive, but you wonder if they would do you a favor because you haven't been spending money on their service?

I wonder what any successful business would say to such a request.
RangerNS, ridefar, gcashin and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Op ,

Are you saying that you haven't been loyal to AC because their flights have been more expensive, but you wonder if they would do you a favor because you haven't been spending money on their service?

I wonder what any successful business would say to such a request.
well, in this case, can I switch all the mile that has been credited to AC? I will most likely get a status from another airline.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Most buy ups were for people at 80-85%+ AQM who were well past the AQD.

most of my flight are international J
There is not much if any benefit to E50k if you are flying J.

If you only want status for flying around Canada or even NA on AC in Y, E50k options may not offer much more value than E35k.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Welcome to FT.
I highly doubt that 11.5 months into a year you can change mileage already credited to another ff program. Maybe if you had accounts in both programs but had not submitted any boarding passes anywhere....
You need to earn the remaining AQD before the end of the year or you will be E35K (presuming you have $4,000 AQD.) You might look at tracking your AQM and AQD beginning earlier in the year to avoid December dilemmas.
If you expect to fly enough Star Alliance to need the benefits, you could front-load your 2019 AC travel to early qualify, and then you would have that status (or higher) through 2019 and 2020.
I would not expect a buy-up if you do not already have E50K status - there is no way AC would know you were interested in the status. Even if you do, they may choose not to make an offer. For instance, I had more than enough AQD for E75K last year, and had E75K at the time, but fell short of AQM and did not receive a buy-up offer.
The advice from @ffsim is good. The other thread has good suggestions how to close qualifying gaps in the short time remaining.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
well, in this case, can I switch all the mile that has been credited to AC? I will most likely get a status from another airline.
I don't believe you can do this after they have been credit to AE.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
You cannot retroactively switch mileage accumulation.

Why do you want status? It is an airline's way of rewarding and retaining loyalty, but in your case, you don't seem to have much? Let me be clear here - I don't judge the way you select your tickets - buying the lowest ticket makes sense for most people and is a practice that is easy to defend. It does however make status mostly moot, doesn't it? Even if you chose to do an AQD run to get your Altitude status, how many of those perks will you really use considering you clearly rarely fly on AC metal - again, for perfectly legitimate reasons.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
You didn't credit them to AC, you credited them to Aeroplan.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
You cannot retroactively switch mileage accumulation.

Why do you want status? It is an airline's way of rewarding and retaining loyalty, but in your case, you don't seem to have much? Let me be clear here - I don't judge the way you select your tickets - buying the lowest ticket makes sense for most people and is a practice that is easy to defend. It does however make status mostly moot, doesn't it? Even if you chose to do an AQD run to get your Altitude status, how many of those perks will you really use considering you clearly rarely fly on AC metal - again, for perfectly legitimate reasons.
thank you all for the reply.

As I understand so far, if I fly J, E50k is not really worth it. Then I guess what I really want is just the star alliance gold for lounge access in case I do not fly J.

Also I do have some domestic fly from YYZ to YUL or JFK. Could the E50K worth anything for this?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Welcome to FT.
I highly doubt that 11.5 months into a year you can change mileage already credited to another ff program. Maybe if you had accounts in both programs but had not submitted any boarding passes anywhere....
You need to earn the remaining AQD before the end of the year or you will be E35K (presuming you have $4,000 AQD.) You might look at tracking your AQM and AQD beginning earlier in the year to avoid December dilemmas.
If you expect to fly enough Star Alliance to need the benefits, you could front-load your 2019 AC travel to early qualify, and then you would have that status (or higher) through 2019 and 2020.
I would not expect a buy-up if you do not already have E50K status - there is no way AC would know you were interested in the status. Even if you do, they may choose not to make an offer. For instance, I had more than enough AQD for E75K last year, and had E75K at the time, but fell short of AQM and did not receive a buy-up offer.
The advice from @ffsim is good. The other thread has good suggestions how to close qualifying gaps in the short time remaining.
Thank you for suggesting the tracking. But the most likely same situation for next week, but it might be just for even higher mileage. (will need to fly to HK and Africa several times next year, which I think maybe over 100K mileage).
Booking on AC stock really hurts the business. I can't really justify to my manager for extra $3k on the same ticket.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
thank you all for the reply.

As I understand so far, if I fly J, E50k is not really worth it. Then I guess what I really want is just the star alliance gold for lounge access in case I do not fly J.

Also I do have some domestic fly from YYZ to YUL or JFK. Could the E50K worth anything for this?
Nothing more than your E35K will do for you.
jc94 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Also Amex Platinum can give you a lot of lounge access internationally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.