Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Short on AQD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Op ,

Are you saying that you haven't been loyal to AC because their flights have been more expensive, but you wonder if they would do you a favor because you haven't been spending money on their service?

I wonder what any successful business would say to such a request.
Y’all are so friendly around here.

My answer would have been more like “he!! no and I hope not”.

Nothing personal OP but if your butt itsnt in the sear, and your not spending then it isn’t deserved. Which I should just start quoting in the 27 million other threads like this.

And no I don’t think AC should sell status either. Or offer complimentary status for those who are close. This ain’t horseshoes or hand grenades. Close don’t count.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by ridefar

Y’all are so friendly around here.

My answer would have been more like “he!! no and I hope not”.

Nothing personal OP but if your butt itsnt in the sear, and your not spending then it isn’t deserved. Which I should just start quoting in the 27 million other threads like this.

And no I don’t think AC should sell status either. Or offer complimentary status for those who are close. This ain’t horseshoes or hand grenades. Close don’t count.
I understand my ask might be too much. But if it is that hard for me to get a status thru AC, I might just switch to another FF program to get that star alliance gold next year.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by skjj
I understand my ask might be too much. But if it is that hard for me to get a status thru AC, I might just switch to another FF program to get that star alliance gold next year.
It’s not easy or hard to get status with AC; like any airline, they have their own published requirements.

I think you need to ask yourself an important question first: what are you hoping to get out of status? It sounds like you’re looking for status with the Star Alliance, but why? If you’re a “free agent” buying the best business class “deals” depending on the trip, why limit yourself to one particular alliance? Buying business class outright often provides many of the same benefits provided by earned status without being tied down to an alliance.

And, as mentioned above, the Amex Platinum card provides lounge access in many airports around the world regardless of airline or class of service,
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
If you want *G, it isn't going to happen for early 2019 unless you do a dollar run in the next 3 weeks.

Failing that, it seems you would be wise to do some research of the different *A airlines and their requirements for status, and then put all your eggs in that basket early in 2019 to get early qualification with said airline.

As of today, there is no path to *G for early next year without you buying a $2K+ AC ticket and sitting in the seat sometime in the next 3 weeks.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope

As of today, there is no path to *G for early next year without you buying a $2K+ AC ticket and sitting in the seat sometime in the next 3 weeks.
Which is not too hard to do if willing to spend the money. I don't think I would for 50k. But for SE I would not hesitate.

I once returned from a one day meeting in Toronto to YYC via FRA. Maybe ten years ago.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Why not just change your flight from Jan 5 to Dec 31? Have a few days vacation is Asia, and earn your status.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
thank you all for the reply.

As I understand so far, if I fly J, E50k is not really worth it. Then I guess what I really want is just the star alliance gold for lounge access in case I do not fly J.

Also I do have some domestic fly from YYZ to YUL or JFK. Could the E50K worth anything for this?
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Nothing more than your E35K will do for you.
E50k would give you a JFK lounge right? And preferred luggage. But otherwise no. Other than some more eUps and greater window/higher eUp waitlist.

Of course both a credit card even paying for a lounge when needed is well under $2k if not doing it that often.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Is the spend $6,000 plus over 50,000 miles for this level? (it doesn't say) I cannot imagine AC thinking someone 15% over the required miles but only 1/3 of the way to spend would be much of a deal to give this status to. He's not spending any money. They'd prefer he was 15% over the spend and 1/3 the miles, not that they would grant a concession but they'd be happier with the $7,000 in revenue.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jc94
E50k would give you a JFK lounge right? And preferred luggage. But otherwise no. Other than some more eUps and greater window/higher eUp waitlist.

Of course both a credit card even paying for a lounge when needed is well under $2k if not doing it that often.
Priority Pass offer access to 4 lounges at JFK. It’s defintiely less expensive than a $2k AQD run.

And the lounge access issue becomes moot if OP is flying business,
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
And the lounge access issue becomes moot if OP is flying business,
That's not strictly true. I was in YEG transborder yesterday, flying business. But neither my status nor being in J got me into that lounge.

PP has benefits regardless of cabin/status, though obviously much less if you're always in J.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's not strictly true. I was in YEG transborder yesterday, flying business. But neither my status nor being in J got me into that lounge.

PP has benefits regardless of cabin/status, though obviously much less if you're always in J.
Op's question relates to E50K status. So, lounge access (due to E50K) is moot if you travel in J, as ffsim points out.
Flying from a point with no MLL or *A lounge is a separate issue.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Ok, “mostly moot ”

Taking my full post in context, however, you’d be a free agent flyer with an Amex Platinum card and you would’ve been able to access that TB lounge at YEG.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Do some research before Jan.1, and start crediting elsewhere with your first Jan.5 trip.
If you are flying on expensive work tickets - start flying or at least booking through revenue-based credititing airlines and credit there.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:23 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jc94

There is no Star Alliance domestic or transborder flight from JFK so E50K is moot. With Priority Pass, OP can access National Bank lounge in YUL and the Plaza premium lounge in YYZ. OP should definitely get a credit card that offers Priority Pass rather than spend the 2000.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Note that if you do a AQD run, note that the fare quoted won't all go towards AQD as AQD only applies to base fare and not the taxes/fees.

So to get an additional $2K AQD, you'll likely need to spend $2.3K+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.