Wiki Posts
Search

Why the allure to Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:00 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DaveObee
A newspaper, a magazine, a drink, maybe a snack, good wifi, a chance to leave my stuff at a chair worry-free while I slip to the washroom ... I'd pay $10 for that, even $20.

A shower? Well, I paid $10 for a shower at Narita one time, when my status was on hiatus and I had been spoiled by the lounge shower in the lounge on previous visits.

So with a shower, add $10, for a total of $30. No problem.
Speaking of magazines, I find the press reader hotspot at MLLs to be quite useful. Hundreds of magazines and newspapers can be downloaded to read on the flight or later.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:13 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by ffsim

Precisely why I stopped wearing my iron ring for a bunch of years... as if I need to advertise to all within eyeshot that I’m a social gracelessness know-it-all who’s better than them
I'm not sure that mine will even come off anymore. At least not without a pair of secateurs.
ffsim and eigenvector like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by pmaclell
Well, you shouldn't worry about your iron ring. Most people don't know what it means anyway. And those that do, wear it proudly and do not see themselves as graceless and know-it-alls.
Not sure that anybody totally lacking in social graces would ever see themselves as graceless?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I like to visit lounges so that I can attempt to expedite the #2.5MMuffinTop growth.
Plumber and Diabeetus like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ridefar

Not sure that anybody totally lacking in social graces would ever see themselves as graceless?
Precisely the conundrum

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I like to visit lounges so that I can attempt to expedite the #2.5MMuffinTop growth.
#NRDtothemax
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by phdtraveller
Hi AC FTers!

I've read many posts here, and it seems a common theme that many FTers value lounges greatly. However, I don't understand this value can you explain it to me? I am operating under the assumption most FTers are paid corporate flying, and also have a per diem to spend on meals per day.

I've been to some lounges, i.e., CX (HKG, YYZ Premium Plaza), AC (YYZ, YYC, YVR). However, in all these cases, I don't see the value in the lounges. In fact, I was just at a Maple Leaf lounge today, the food is so bad (unhealthy), you couldn't pay me to eat it. Additionally, the alcohol while might be free, is also very poor quality (you couldn't pay me to drink some of their wines). The only thing I value about lounges is showers (esp Asian airport showers) and quiet space (but let's be real, you probably won't find that in any Maple Leaf lounges at busy hours). The economic value I place on these lounges are $5 max, maybe $100 for a nice shower at an Asian lounge. But for a Maple Leaf lounge, I definitely wouldn't pay more than $5. Your thoughts!?
  • My first assumption will be that is a typo on the value of a shower at $100 if you deem a Maple Leaf lounge as only worth $5.00. Let's assume you mean $10 instead. Fair enough.
  • I am not a corporate flyer, so I have no per diem. All self funded. Does that change your mind set?
  • I am not so snooty as to say I will not eat Maple Leaf Lounge food. Is all of it good? No. Pick and choose. I have had some pretty good food in there at times
  • As for value of the wine, no idea since I don't drink it, so I cannot comment on the "you could not pay me to drink some of their wines". I will drink champagne and some lounges in the world have a very nice bottle or 2 to choose from. At a standard ML Lounge I do however have a couple of mixed drinks or perhaps a craft beer. Nice to get them for free instead of paying $15 or more per drink at a bar/resto in the airport.
  • There are some great lounges in the world. Sorry if they don't appeal to you, but I certainly have enjoyed them as has any travelling companion with me. Beats sitting in a plastic chair staring at the gate.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I'm not sure that mine will even come off anymore. At least not without a pair of secateurs.
I know mine won't, hasn't been off since I got it. It was one of the last handmade ones, so I'd be reluctant to have it cut off.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Everyone knows iron rings shrink after about 25 years. That's why they have ring fittings at the reunions. @Stranger, they do have iron rings in the U.S., but it is more of an optional honour society. Same underlying story.

On topic, I like the lounge because I arrive very early to avoid being late, and the bar and snacks and magazines (and oatmeal mmm boarding school oatmeal) amuse me. I share the appreciation for being able to leave a bag and coat on a chair and walk to refill my drink without expecting it to be stolen or marked as a suspicious abandoned bag. I do not get the shower thing at all. Is that a guy thing? Or is it equally popular with women travellers?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
We use the lounges before and after flights for potty for our toddler:
- cleaner than the public ones.
- generally no line-up.
- some of the MLL's have separate handicap/family washrooms (i.e. YYC & YVR).

Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I know mine won't, hasn't been off since I got it. It was one of the last handmade ones, so I'd be reluctant to have it cut off.
I didn’t even bother to get mine.

Speaking of the value of the lounge, and AC MLL more specifically, there is little value when the airport is not busy and I have a short layover. But the value increases substantially when there is an IRROP and I am stuck at the airport with an unknown departure time.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by eigenvector
My position is that the value of a lounge is inversely proportional to the quality of the general airport terminal.

In some relatively pleasant airports, like YVR, which have abundant seating, free drinkable water and fast wifi, it's barely an upgrade.

In ADD or LIM, even a mediocre lounge could be a godsend. In Southeast Asia it's worth it just for the air conditioning. And in FRA, ZRH or LHR, where many facilities are available but a coffee is likely to set you back 5 EUR and a mediocre pastry another 5, free access just for a snack and a drink can be a good value.

I reserve particular disdain for first-world airports that don't have free potable water, ahem, Frankfurt.
This is it.

As well, I find the value in the lounges can be those that have showers, for when you have a late night red eye long haul flight and you just went to the airport straight from a full day of meetings or other work. It's nice to be able to freshen up and get changed.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:47 pm

I also usually don't eat much in the MLLs, but I do like them for drinks.
While I could always buy something to drink in the terminal, I just don't want to pay for overpriced airport drinks, so I appreciate the free drinks in the lounges.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by songsc
....the value increases substantially when there is an IRROP and I am stuck at the airport with an unknown departure time.
+1 Totally this is when lounges are valuable. Expert help, no (or shorter) line ups to get said help, and somewhere not unpleasant to hang out for a few hours.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by pmaclell
Well, you shouldn't worry about your iron ring. Most people don't know what it means anyway. And those that do, wear it proudly and do not see themselves as graceless and know-it-alls.
I’m guilty of the iron ring and have enjoyed the company fellow engineers chatting in Albania, Japan and USA , it’s like minded people educated with a similar interest , not like those with the yellow FT tags...... ( wait for it....)

Last edited by Jimmie Jet; Dec 12, 2018 at 12:18 am Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: AC SE
For me, I've done a pretty heavy amount of long haul / "ultra" long hauls recently (ie, YYZ-YUL-MUC-DEL-TRV-DEL-YVR-YYZ last week). Lounges are the difference between coming out one end of a trip relatively refreshed, or the "30 hours of travel" smell and feel.

Showers, wifi, comfortable chairs. Snacks are a perk, but relatively low on my list - and booze I avoid when flying. I do my crazy travel in J, but even with that, lounges are a requirement on trips that long. Good shower facilities are by far my biggest lounge item (and allow me to take this time to say that AC's YYZ international MLL showers are terrible).

Last edited by epiphani; Dec 12, 2018 at 5:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.