Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How does RM know when they screw up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does RM know when they screw up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
The question about RM is a good one. My guess is that they are measured on an aggregate basis- load factors, revenue per seat and other such metrics. So it is probably very difficult to measure on a flight by flight basis, except with some random testing as others have alluded to above.

As per the specifc example of the OP, RM would know that X% of the time they are better off selling a couple of LMUs for a lower fee than holding out hope that 'n' number of seats will be bought at the last minute. Their goal is to maximize revenue, thus in the long term they are better off not carrying too many J seats till the day of the flight.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
A few things:

1) Day of departure (within 24-36 hours of departure) RM is not in charge at most airlines. The control of inventory (including upgrades, IRROPS related overbooking, etc.) switches to an operationally based team because they work 24 hours a day and are better equipped to respond to issues.
2) Even if you could tell RM they missed an opportunity in this case, nothing would likely change as a result because it's one instance out of many.
3) Most RM teams are unlikely to hold back two seats from upgrades (noting they did hold back one) for the off chance that two bookings will come in on the day of departure. The expected pattern is likely that a sole business traveler is making a last minute booking so holding one seat back is safe. Holding two seats that don't sell results in a chorus of complaints about not upgrading more people in advance.
4) If the RM analysts J cabin metrics as strong versus last year (or whatever period they are measuring against) then there's no motivation to change that behaviour.

Not saying it's necessarily the right outcome, but rather just how they are likely to be approaching the situation.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Why didn't you buy the night before when it was J4?
acysb87 and bawm like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ffsim

Are you saying you can buy two J tickets for a flight that’s J1?
Nowhere did I say that nor imply it. I said you can wait list as a counter example to "there is no way to signal to RM."

However, I have indeed seen cases where space opens and the wait lists are cleared.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bawm
Nowhere did I say that nor imply it. I said you can wait list as a counter example to "there is no way to signal to RM."

However, I have indeed seen cases where space opens and the wait lists are cleared.
You were responding to and quoting a post containing the words “I have no way of signaling that I wanted to buy two seats”... Your firm assertion that the claim was “not true at all” implies that OP can indeed signal this desire using the “waitlistability” (for lack of a real term) of a full J ticket.

So, if we agree that OP cannot but two J seats for a flight that’s J1, are you suggesting that he should’ve bought bought one J seat for the desired flight and then another for a different flight before waitlisting this second ticket back onto the desired flight?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But was he interested in full J? If he was he could just buy, and later cancel if changing his mind.
bawm likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
But was he interested in full J? If he was he could just buy, and later cancel if changing his mind.
I gather that two J tickets were not available at the time that OP was interested in full J. Hence why he didn’t buy the night before. Hence this thread.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:21 pm

You were responding to and quoting a post containing the words “I have no way of signaling that I wanted to buy two seats”... Your firm assertion that the claim was “not true at all” implies that OP can indeed signal this desire using the “waitlistability” (for lack of a real term) of a full J ticket.

So, if we agree that OP cannot but two J seats for a flight that’s J1, are you suggesting that he should’ve bought bought one J seat for the desired flight and then another for a different flight before waitlisting this second ticket back onto the desired flight?
I stand by my firm assertion. I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to buying one ticket or buying tickets for a separate flight. You can wait list any flight in J if the pax count is greater than the availability. In this case, 2 pax for a flight that is J1. This directly shows RM there is further interest than space available on the flight. Why make this more complicated?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:28 pm

Why make this more complicated?
Because OP couldn’t buy two tickets for the flight he wanted.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:33 pm

Because OP couldn’t buy two tickets for the flight he wanted.
I don't disagree. He couldn't confirm 2 seats in J.

But he could signal to RM that he wanted 2 seats by waitlisting in J.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I though the long complaint on this board was R0 when J<1. "The R Games" wasn't a long running thread for nothing. This has to be the first time I have heard AC being criticized for being too generous with making R space available.
There's a difference between J30 R0 and J8 R8.

This is not true at all. Full J always allows wait listing, which is just one of the ways you can signal to RM that you want a seat.

bawm
I actually had somewhere I needed to be. This wasn't just a game. I booked something else that was available.

Originally Posted by croberts134
A few things:

1) Day of departure (within 24-36 hours of departure) RM is not in charge at most airlines. The control of inventory (including upgrades, IRROPS related overbooking, etc.) switches to an operationally based team because they work 24 hours a day and are better equipped to respond to issues.
2) Even if you could tell RM they missed an opportunity in this case, nothing would likely change as a result because it's one instance out of many.
3) Most RM teams are unlikely to hold back two seats from upgrades (noting they did hold back one) for the off chance that two bookings will come in on the day of departure. The expected pattern is likely that a sole business traveler is making a last minute booking so holding one seat back is safe. Holding two seats that don't sell results in a chorus of complaints about not upgrading more people in advance.
4) If the RM analysts J cabin metrics as strong versus last year (or whatever period they are measuring against) then there's no motivation to change that behaviour.

Not saying it's necessarily the right outcome, but rather just how they are likely to be approaching the situation.
3) The flight was J1 R1 when I checked that morning, so they were not even holding back one seat.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Why didn't you buy the night before when it was J4?
Because I wasn't sure if I wanted it, or if I'd wake up in time, etc.

I gather that two J tickets were not available at the time that OP was interested in full J. Hence why he didn’t buy the night before. Hence this thread.
I could have bought it the night before. But see above.

I don't disagree. He couldn't confirm 2 seats in J.

But he could signal to RM that he wanted 2 seats by waitlisting in J.
That's way more effort for a scenario that, in this case, would have been pointless, as it wouldn't have cleared. I'm not going to spend half an hour on the phone for those odds. I was just wondering why they would manage inventory in a way that makes it impossible to know they've lost a last-minute sale.
ffsim likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I wonder if AC track people looking for two seats on a J1 flight at an hour or two out.

Of course, I doubt they can track the class people are looking for, at least on the app you search for seats not by class.

Actually I doubt AC has the ability to do this at all. But I wonder if other airlines do. Especially those that allow me to search for J only such as UA
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I'd argue a few things:

-RM knows they screwed up when the J cabin has any nonrev employees seated in it

-J4R0 going to J1R1 could have meant a few different scenarios happened. maybe a flex/latitude who had e-up'd did a same day change reopening as R1, and maybe AC sold some upgrades at time of checkin reducing J qty.

-Since it was within T-24 AC likely did not auto clear any from the waitlist. BUT in several instances I've seen JXR0 go to JX=RX close to flight time even while I have been waitlisted. Annoying as it means unchecking in, but I get to grab the guaranteed seats (and I don't get a tainted ML*1 boarding pass).

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 10, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
I wonder if AC track people looking for two seats on a J1 flight at an hour or two out.

Of course, I doubt they can track the class people are looking for, at least on the app you search for seats not by class.

Actually I doubt AC has the ability to do this at all. But I wonder if other airlines do. Especially those that allow me to search for J only such as UA
What about searching Google Flights, or Expedia, or Expert Flyer?

But even on AC.com, if you search for YYZ-YYC for 2 people... that's all they see. If the flight you want is J1, and you leave the site, they don't know you wanted J, and they don't know you wanted that specific flight. The fact that they have an 0800 and 2000 with space doesn't matter if you needed to leave between 1200-1500. It just means you went to WS instead.

Originally Posted by expert7700

-RM knows they screwed up when the J cabin has any nonrev employees seated in it
Sure, that's one obvious case. They priced J too high on that flight.

Likewise, J0 two months out means they priced it too low.

Originally Posted by expert7700
-J4R0 going to J1R1 could have meant a few different scenarios happened. maybe a flex/latitude who had e-up'd did a same day change reopening as R1, and maybe AC sold some upgrades at time of checkin reducing J qty.
I have no idea where those last 3 people came from, but for all I know, it went to J4 R4 and people confirmed upgrades.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Because I wasn't sure if I wanted it, or if I'd wake up in time, etc.

I could have bought it the night before..
Since it was full J you could have bought the night before and cancelled any time if not flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.