Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

China - Canada Relations: Impact on Air Canada & Transit of AC Pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China - Canada Relations: Impact on Air Canada & Transit of AC Pax

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tracon
The only thing surprising about this story is why wasn't Ms. Wanzhou flying on a corporate jet?
Who says she was not? Maybe the jet did not have enough legs to go direct to Mexico?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjclancy
Do you have a source for this? It's the only connection to your 2nd question, and was not mentioned in the references I looked at.
Do a search, it'a all over the place. For instance,

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-b-c-1.2705169

Also recently a Chinese intelligence agent was arrested in Belgium and extradited to the US. He was after information on jet engines from the CFM consortium (GE-Safran). Subsequently a bunch more folks were arrested in the US. Mostly originally from China but at least one from Taiwan also.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Do a search, it'a all over the place.
Not quite the example of AC transit or casual business visitors that your Q2 referenced.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
overeaction

As for the targetting of CA citizens traveling to China, there are many of us. What are you suggesting? Mass arrests? For what? I have not committed fraud, That I know.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 8, 2018 at 2:15 am Reason: off topic
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Do a search, it'a all over the place. For instance,

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-b-c-1.2705169

Also recently a Chinese intelligence agent was arrested in Belgium and extradited to the US. He was after information on jet engines from the CFM consortium (GE-Safran). Subsequently a bunch more folks were arrested in the US. Mostly originally from China but at least one from Taiwan also.
Ok so where is the news about the crackdown on chocolatiers and Stella Artois brewmasters that according to this thread must have happened?
I bet if you illegally sell technology through a few ruses to countries sanctioned by China they might get testy when you transit but Joe Blow from Camrose is of no interest to them.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjclancy

Not quite the example of AC transit or casual business visitors that your Q2 referenced.
Are you confusing me with the other poster?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Please note that a number of posts have either been deleted as the arrest of this executive, the legality of sanctions or other geopolitical matters are not the subject of this thread so let's please confine the discussion here to what if any effects there might be to AC pax transiting China.

tcook052
AC forum mod
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Good Point; However, I think we can expect enhanced less welcoming scrutiny

Originally Posted by tcook052
Please note that a number of posts have either been deleted as the arrest of this executive, the legality of sanctions or other geopolitical matters are not the subject of this thread so let's please confine the discussion here to what if any effects there might be to AC pax transiting China.

tcook052
AC forum mod
I think we can all expect a less welcoming reception when arriving in China as a final destination or simply in transit on AC or other carriers for that matter. In fact since transiting via China involves using them either as a convenience or to save a few dollars by a cheap routing, why would Canadians be overly welcome? Arriving in China right now on a Canadian passport while flying AC just to transit to another country with minimal spend in China is absolutely no reason for them to hold out a welcome mat.

Should we avoid China right now? It's a matter of opinion but I'd be more comfortable in a 777HD Y seat to HKG than in 787 J to China. In fact I'm even starting to become concerned about transiting HKG in any long term plans.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TemboOne
I think we can all expect a less welcoming reception when arriving in China as a final destination or simply in transit on AC or other carriers for that matter. In fact since transiting via China involves using them either as a convenience or to save a few dollars by a cheap routing, why would Canadians be overly welcome? Arriving in China right now on a Canadian passport while flying AC just to transit to another country with minimal spend in China is absolutely no reason for them to hold out a welcome mat.

Should we avoid China right now? It's a matter of opinion but I'd be more comfortable in a 777HD Y seat to HKG than in 787 J to China. In fact I'm even starting to become concerned about transiting HKG in any long term plans.
I think that is a little extreme, especially the part about not transiting in HK.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

After more post deletions it seems my previous polite request went unheeded so will bring closure to this thread.

tcook052
AC forum mod.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.