Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booking is suddenly missing letter in first name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Did anyone experienced something like this: my first name changed in my booking.
In July I made 2 different bookings on AC flights for next year (first flight end of May, 2nd one half of June). Both were confirmed mentioning my name correctly in the booking confirmation like this:

Passengers
Tim D P

Today I got a message telling me that one of the 2 flights had changed and the document suddenly mentions Name: Mr Ti DP. So the M went missing (+ the space is gone in my last name but I know this is normal). When I lookup my booking online, the first name is suddenly also wrong in there. Even stranger (or perhaps 'logic') is that also my second booking, which was made on a different day, has the same wrong first name. As my booking confirmation mentions my name correctly I'm not too concerned (yet) but I don't want to tempt fate. I still have plenty of time to figure this out. I did send a mail but got a reply that I need to call to reservations. Since only landlines support the toll free number my only option is to call the American number which can make it an expensive call. Unless skype supports the number but I still need to try that.

Or am I just too worried about some data glitch that is clearly on their side?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by TimDP
Did anyone experienced something like this: my first name changed in my booking.
In July I made 2 different bookings on AC flights for next year (first flight end of May, 2nd one half of June). Both were confirmed mentioning my name correctly in the booking confirmation like this:

Passengers
Tim D P

Today I got a message telling me that one of the 2 flights had changed and the document suddenly mentions Name: Mr Ti DP. So the M went missing (+ the space is gone in my last name but I know this is normal). When I lookup my booking online, the first name is suddenly also wrong in there. Even stranger (or perhaps 'logic') is that also my second booking, which was made on a different day, has the same wrong first name. As my booking confirmation mentions my name correctly I'm not too concerned (yet) but I don't want to tempt fate. I still have plenty of time to figure this out. I did send a mail but got a reply that I need to call to reservations. Since only landlines support the toll free number my only option is to call the American number which can make it an expensive call. Unless skype supports the number but I still need to try that.

This "M" problem is not new.

Air Canada dropping last letter of first name

The mystery of the "M"

I am not sure how to resolve this however.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Clearly anyone named Tim, Tom, William, Adam - or about 500 other options - need to go and get a legal name change. Immediately.
canadiancow and Twickenham like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Hi Ti, I'm Ada, nice to meet you.

I have been consistently having this issue for several months, but it has yet to cause me anything but my own anannoyan at the fact that my BPs are wrong.
TimDP and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks!

As it seems a glitch, I will just call a few days before my flight when I'm in Canada so I can use the toll free number . Cause probably any change between now and then will cause the error to happen again.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Thanks!

As it seems a glitch, I will just call a few days before my flight when I'm in Canada so I can use the toll free number . Cause probably any change between now and then will cause the error to happen again.
I wouldn't bother. They will likely tell you your name is populated correctly in the ticket. This is just a display issue.
D582 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I wouldn't bother. They will likely tell you your name is populated correctly in the ticket. This is just a display issue.
Correct... the system sees the M as a title as displays it as such. So if you have SMITH/TOM, it will display as M To Smith, but on the actual ticket it stall shows SMITH/TOM. Airline systems do not have a defined field for title (or middle names)./
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Technically, wouldn't the title be more accurate if it said that bookin was suddenly missing a letter?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Technically, wouldn't the title be more accurate if it said that bookin was suddenly missing a letter?
Shouldn't it be that the booking is issing a letter?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Shouldn't it be that the booking is issing a letter?
Or an email?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Since only landlines support the toll free number my only option is to call the American number which can make it an expensive call. Unless skype supports the number but I still need to try that.

Though it all seems like it's nothing to worry about, Skype will let you call pretty well any North American toll free number for free, so 866, 877, 888, 800 all work and where you are calling from does not matter.

For the minor cost despite "everyone" using WhatsApp and Line and Messenger, prepaying a small amount like $5-10 on Skype for SkypeOut is very useful. Calls to the US and Canada are around a penny or two a minute so 10 bucks would pay for a long call. Still handy to have the ability to call actual numbers on cell or fixed lines now and then, like to older people who would not use WhatsApp in a million years. I think Google phone used to allow calls for free or something but not sure now but Skype does and does it well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.