Wiki Posts
Search

AC Testing Under-Seat Baggage Tags

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ffsim
I think the best outcome here is for AC to simply revisit the policy and apply some common sense to it. IMHO the sort of pushback you suggest would most likely antagonize the GA and jeopardize the trip well before s/he decides to prey on a more accommodating passenger.
It would be better if they revisited the policy but in the meantime I'll press the envelope in the firm conviction it would be easier for a GA to relent than start the deboarding process over my refusal to put my lone bag under the seat in front of me. Throwing someone off is a lot of paperwork.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: air miles
Airlines should provide enough overhead bin space to allow every passenger to store a max size carryon period. FA bags and safety equipment should have their own storage spaces.

instead airlines count on sime % of passengers not using the overhead bin, and in todays "pay for a checked bag" world more and more people are bringing carryons with them.
respectable_man likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:57 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Airlines should provide enough overhead bin space to allow every passenger to store a max size carryon period. FA bags and safety equipment should have their own storage spaces.

instead airlines count on sime % of passengers not using the overhead bin, and in todays "pay for a checked bag" world more and more people are bringing carryons with them.
Yet another indignity of modern air travel.

But building upon what you said, they (it's not just AC) should simply charge for excess carry ons instead. If they did it right, they wouldn't make less revenue (people would probably check more bags) and boarding times might actually improve.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978

In an effort to improve this an airline manufacturer tried building a plane with more overhead storage. Unfortunately the plane suffered from some other issues.

I still feel that charging for a carry on would improve things even if it increases prices again. And yes I'm aware of all the potential issues with boarding times etc.

Can't you just rip the tag off after you get past the GA?
Old May 22, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
Can't you just rip the tag off after you get past the GA?
Yes.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Flying YVR->YOW in narrow body (A321) J last week, I had only a small backpack. It got tagged at the gate despite my protests. The FA on the aircraft also said to me "the backpack needs to go under the seat in front of you." I then pointed to 1D, my bulkhead seat, and said "but I'm sitting there." The FA then seemed flustered. I "wasn't allowed" to put my tagged backpack in the overhead bin, but of course there is no seat in front of me. She tried to tell me it had to go under *my* seat . . . finally she relented, *took off the white tag* and allowed my backpack to go overhead.

I almost died eye rolling.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Janet Simons
Flying YVR->YOW in narrow body (A321) J last week, I had only a small backpack. It got tagged at the gate despite my protests. The FA on the aircraft also said to me "the backpack needs to go under the seat in front of you." I then pointed to 1D, my bulkhead seat, and said "but I'm sitting there." The FA then seemed flustered. I "wasn't allowed" to put my tagged backpack in the overhead bin, but of course there is no seat in front of me. She tried to tell me it had to go under *my* seat . . . finally she relented, *took off the white tag* and allowed my backpack to go overhead.

The problem is the gate agent who put the tag on did not look at your boarding pass and the floor plan for the aircraft to determine if the little white tag was appropriate.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jc94
I still feel that charging for a carry on would improve things even if it increases prices again. And yes I'm aware of all the potential issues with boarding times etc.
Please no. I did my first and last Flair flight a few months ago. (Only think not sold out at the time I needed to do Vancouver to Edmonton).

They charge for carry on. All announcements need to start with a long explanation. The boarding process keeps getting stopped as the gate agents need to do credit card translations during boarding.

Charging for carry on is just evil .......
Old May 22, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Janet Simons

Seriously, what a joke this bag tag is.

ffsim likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:19 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Well the seat-back cushioning looks about right for Y. Or any seat on the Max.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: *$ Green
One time I had a bag and a carry on, and I asked for the white tag cause why not, and the GA said no you don't need it.

I was upset, so I out both bags in the O/H.

YULYYZ
Old May 22, 2019, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Seriously, what a joke this bag tag is.
The predicted life expectancy of that tag on my bag would be measured in seconds. Tag? What tag?
Old May 22, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marco Polo
Why can't they just enforce the carry-on rules? (this includes the shopping bags after security) This should alleviate most of the issues

Sure it sucks and its very LCC-ish, but for many people who have traveled with other airlines (all types), they would've had a combination of:

1) carry-on bags being weighed (not applicable to AC)
2) carry-on bags being counted (max 2)
3) carry-on bags being fit in the sizer (usually very slack w/ personal item)

after a while, most people will naturally figure out the suitcase goes up, the backpack/personal item stays down.

My experience:
I was in Japan recently flying from Osaka to Hong Kong w/ HK Express (LCC). The fare prices were absurd, but that's besides the point. At check in, the agent specifically weighed my carry on bags and also said no less than 3 times: "you have a backpack and a suitcase, you cant not carry a 3rd bag." At the gate, the agent refused to board anyone that was bringing on more than 2 bags, so you see people get out of the line, shove their duty-free shopping into their purse/backpack, and get back in line to get on.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
IIRC at DXB, the Emirates people sized and weighed my carry-on just before security. if it was over, I probably would have had to go back to checkin. that's more efficient than at the gate - at a few airports I've seen people walk around and pick up carryons to see if it was too heavy to carry on.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Is this “test” ongoing? Only on certain routes?

I’ve flown numerous times since mid November and not seen it but with several upcoming flights wanted to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.