AC Testing Under-Seat Baggage Tags

Old Dec 5, 18, 1:17 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MQS007 View Post
I am 6 ft 3 and to my mind one of the real advantages of z2 boarding is I get to not have anything at my feet.
I'm the nearly the same size and follow the same logic - though as I said I make sure to fit my laptop in a place where a rollaboard wouldn't fit.
Old Dec 5, 18, 1:22 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
I actually think the opposite. I check my luggage so I don't have to put in a suitcase on the overhead bins, but then I expect space for my laptop, because I don't want it in the seat in front me of me. It's limited pitch as it is, I want the leg space. I'd pay for this. Don't force me to put my laptop under the seat.

You want to board faster? Try making overhead space more expensive than checked luggage.
Originally Posted by 172pilot View Post

This. As long as the airlines charge for checked bags and overhead is free, the problem will remain. Change it around and flights will board faster and the airlines will still collect revenue.
Please no. Please. I take 3 week trips with nothing but a rollaboard for a reason - when I arrive at my destination, I prefer to have my belongings arrive with me 100% of the time. Not 98%. 100. I also like being able to schedule meetings for immediately after I land knowing that I won't have to wait for my bag.
Old Dec 5, 18, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
I actually think the opposite. I check my luggage so I don't have to put in a suitcase on the overhead bins, but then I expect space for my laptop, because I don't want it in the seat in front me of me. It's limited pitch as it is, I want the leg space. I'd pay for this. Don't force me to put my laptop under the seat.
This is a great point, and probably something that'll come up during the test. Many of the people I saw towards the end of the boarding process had only one bag which was tagged, and most of them seemed to be coming back from some vacation destination which likely meant they had checked luggage. Basically, they're being told "you can't use the overhead bin space," which, if you've paid to check a bag specifically because you planned to put a small bag in the overhead bin, is kind of unfair.

I am 6 ft 3 and to my mind one of the real advantages of z2 boarding is I get to not have anything at my feet.
As I alluded to in my OP, I'm your prototypical Z2er. The bulk of my flying is in Y, so as an E50, I'm more often than not boarding along with the rest of my Z2 brethren. I didn't realize one of the perks of Z2 was an entitlement to be a selfish and inconsiderate seat mate

AC (and others) is trying to tell us what we should already know: if you have two bags and you're not sitting at a bulkhead, put the smaller bag under the seat in front of you. If there's excess room in the overhead bins, go ahead and move your bag up there after the seatbelt sign goes off.
Old Dec 5, 18, 1:29 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by ffsim View Post

I didn't realize one of the perks of Z2 was an entitlement to be a selfish and inconsiderate seat mate
Pardon me, but DYKWIA?
Old Dec 5, 18, 1:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
If bag storage is not a benefit of Z2 boarding then what is the benefit?
Old Dec 5, 18, 1:36 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy View Post
Didn't they do this a few years ago when they were tagging bags with red bag labels? I think someone around here was going to print a bunch so we can could get around the silliness.
They definitely tried this one Christmas. There was a bunch of them on a stand as we waited up. There was no one there though so a few people helped themselves. That was personal experience though, Iíve seen it posted about here several times always for a short period of time.

Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Seats with less pitch and now they want you to lose the under seat space. No thanks.
On the very rare occasion Iíve taken two, I wait until boarding is complete before I cram my 2nd one onto my first one. Same with coat. Fortunately I tend to be in J when I have two (especially narrow body wise) and have used the closet a few times without issue.

Originally Posted by 172pilot View Post
This. As long as the airlines charge for checked bags and overhead is free, the problem will remain. Change it around and flights will board faster and the airlines will still collect revenue.
This would help but not eliminate the problem.

Iíd happily check my camera stuff if I had a guarantee it would arrive with me, in perfect condition at destination and if it didnít Iíd be given cash to replace it (and even then thatís not everywhere so Iíd still be checking inbound). I have the perfect candidate, I have no need of a telephoto 1.5kg lens in my bag but at $2k itís not going into checked luggage.

Last edited by jc94; Dec 5, 18 at 1:41 pm
Old Dec 5, 18, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
Please no. Please. I take 3 week trips with nothing but a rollaboard for a reason - when I arrive at my destination, I prefer to have my belongings arrive with me 100% of the time. Not 98%. 100. I also like being able to schedule meetings for immediately after I land knowing that I won't have to wait for my bag.
But then you just pay for it... I would pay for the right to overhead space. Or include it in the fare, similar to what they do with checked bags and the current fare classes.

This would significantly speed up boarding, assuming they have a corresponding increase in baggage handling capacity. It would also reduce people coming on-board with multiple oversized carryons because they would rather push the limits than pay $25 for a bag.
Old Dec 5, 18, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by meagicano View Post
But then you just pay for it... I would pay for the right to overhead space. Or include it in the fare, similar to what they do with checked bags and the current fare classes.

This would significantly speed up boarding, assuming they have a corresponding increase in baggage handling capacity. It would also reduce people coming on-board with multiple oversized carryons because they would rather push the limits than pay $25 for a bag.
Z1 is the top reason I pay extra for short routes.
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:11 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

20 extra (and entirely free) minutes in a glorious AC seat. You've flown 50k+ miles in those seats over the past year so you earned it.
monkai likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Z2 (pretty much) guarantees that you'll get your overhead on the plane, fairly close to where you're sitting. It doesn't give you the right to put two bins in the overhead. If there's room after others have got their roll-aboards on, sure thing. But otherwise it's a dick move to potentially force some FOTSG to check their bag just so you can have a bit more space at your feet. If your second item is properly sized, there will still be room to extend your legs if you position it correctly. (And I'm 6'4").
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Early-ish access to bin space for your bag (singular) is definitely a benefit of Z2 boarding.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Z2 (pretty much) guarantees that you'll get your overhead on the plane, fairly close to where you're sitting. It doesn't give you the right to put two bins in the overhead. If there's room after others have got their roll-aboards on, sure thing. But otherwise it's a dick move to potentially force some FOTSG to check their bag just so you can have a bit more space at your feet. If your second item is properly sized, there will still be room to extend your legs if you position it correctly. (And I'm 6'4").
+1
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:59 pm

The root cause is, airlines put too many people in Y.

My suggestion is put dividers and seat numbers in the OH bin. Stuff as much as you want to your own slot, the rest goes to your seat.
jc94 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, MR Plat, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Everything, of course, depends on the situation - your luggage situation, flight load, equipment, flight length, etc. I think what people are talking about is that airliners are shared spaces, and we should be considerate towards other passengers. It's no different than trying to select an aisle seat if you know you will need to frequently use the lavatory.
I think everyone here is capable of making their own decisions given the circumstances at the time.
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by songsc View Post
The root cause is, airlines put too many people in Y.

My suggestion is put dividers and seat numbers in the OH bin. Stuff as much as you want to your own slot, the rest goes to your seat.
While I agree with the sardine point, the same people that throw things into J bins before walking to row 30 will just ignore these.
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
While I agree with the sardine point, the same people that throw things into J bins before walking to row 30 will just ignore these.
Which is why AC is now keeping J bins closed during boarding, and why J pax should report this to FAs so that the bag can be moved back appropriately.

Search this Thread