AC Testing Under-Seat Baggage Tags

Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mathemagic
Today in YYZ D gate security I saw what appeared to be an agent making people size their carry on bags (in the non priority area) before going into the security lines. People were stopping to line up as if this was a thing. Yikes...
What's wrong with that? Catch them when they can still easily go back to the check-in counter and actually pay for their oversized bags.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I forgot to add a data point to this last week. EX CDG every single person was getting these upon check-in. Everyone.

I didn't bother reminding the agent that she had just checked me in for 2 flights in Signature Class and that the bag wasn't likely to go under the seat in front of me.

Anyway, this was a new approach that I've only seen at CDG. Anyone see it anywhere else?
What about if you do online check in (carryon only) and go right to CDG security? Does one skip this procedure? There would be no reason to go to the check in counter.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by mathemagic
Today in YYZ D gate security I saw what appeared to be an agent making people size their carry on bags (in the non priority area) before going into the security lines. People were stopping to line up as if this was a thing. Yikes...
I walked from the concierge office to the international security checkpoint recently. Noticed the AC person by the entrance to the domestic security area. He was staring st my Briggs but I was headed elsewhere and past him. Certainly had the feeling he was going to say something.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Bartolo

What about if you do online check in (carryon only) and go right to CDG security? Does one skip this procedure? There would be no reason to go to the check in counter.
Yes, one would skip the procedure in this case.

OLCI wasn't working for me for some reason. Normally I wouldn't need a check in agent.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Yes, one would skip the procedure in this case.

OLCI wasn't working for me for some reason. Normally I wouldn't need a check in agent.

Unless, of course, there’s someone “lying in wait” elsewhere on one’s journey through the airport.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Imma gonna make a How To video on removal of this jokester tag.
How dare I! bup bup!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Imma gonna make a How To video on removal of this jokester tag.
How dare I! bup bup!
Judging by the discarded tags I see on many a jet bridge, the point of your video is already common knowledge.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim

Judging by the discarded tags I see on many a jet bridge, the point of your video is already common knowledge.
Gotta train the FOTSGs!

Also, just for bits and wiggles.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I was boarding a flight in YVR, paid J, with one carry on only (a water field cargo bag, basically 15" laptop capable shoulder bag). The agent at boarding tried to give me a tag and tell me that my bag "HAD TO" go under the seat.

I don't f'ing think so.

One thing I find frustrating is the blind eye that is turned towards SEs and/or J flyers. Start enforcing both size and number limits consistently and then you won't need to try to tell someone that has a personal size item that it needs one of these magic tags.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I flew from YYZ to YQM on Tuesday. There were no tags but the FA was VERY proactive in removing anything other than roller bags from the bins and telling people to put them under the seats, even large backpacks. I heard one unhappy passenger complain but most people complied, probably because the FA seemed like a likeable guy who did it in a friendly manner - a different FA might have had more resistance. Once everyone was seated, there was still some empty space in the bins so he offered to put smaller bags up there if anyone wanted but very few people did.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I was boarding a flight in YVR, paid J, with one carry on only (a water field cargo bag, basically 15" laptop capable shoulder bag). The agent at boarding tried to give me a tag and tell me that my bag "HAD TO" go under the seat.

I don't f'ing think so.

One thing I find frustrating is the blind eye that is turned towards SEs and/or J flyers. Start enforcing both size and number limits consistently and then you won't need to try to tell someone that has a personal size item that it needs one of these magic tags.
I have no skin in this game (as I've stated before) as I always put my bag under the seat in front of me... but this is a big time joke.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:26 pm

I thought there was another thread about tagging of carry-on but couldn’t find it despite several searches hence this list.

A while back lots of posts about new tags of all carry-on. No one has mentioned it for a while. I didn’t encounter the practice on my last flights but they were international long haul.

Wondering if it’s still happening.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I hear it off and on, of late. No strong memory when, but I've been 75% e170 or 190, express or ML, for the past couple of months.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I thought there was another thread about tagging of carry-on but couldn’t find it despite several searches hence this list.

A while back lots of posts about new tags of all carry-on. No one has mentioned it for a while. I didn’t encounter the practice on my last flights but they were international long haul.

Wondering if it’s still happening.
Got my shoulder bag tagged a few weeks ago. Don't remember if it was the domestic or int'l leg.

To be honest I did not put my bag under the seat, it's not even 3" thick and fits upright in the overhead bin so seriously doesn't take up overhead soace.

Maybe they check tags if it's full and ask people to take them under seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.