How to calculate AQM

Reply

Old Dec 5, 18, 7:18 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 24
How to calculate AQM

I am travelling premium economy from Hong Kong to Beijing on Air China and then onto Vancouver on AC and back to HK on AC. I called Aeroplan who said there is no magic formula, wait and see.
Brenjoa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:21 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-2MM, SPG-LT Plat , Marriott- Plat, IHG- Plat
Posts: 2,115
Originally Posted by Brenjoa View Post
I am travelling premium economy from Hong Kong to Beijing on Air China and then onto Vancouver on AC and back to HK on AC. I called Aeroplan who said there is no magic formula, wait and see.
Have you looked at this?
new-improved-calculator-aqm-aeroplan-miles-aqd.html
24left likes this.
Plumber is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:23 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, AA EXP, NH, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 14,151
Originally Posted by Brenjoa View Post
I am travelling premium economy from Hong Kong to Beijing on Air China and then onto Vancouver on AC and back to HK on AC. I called Aeroplan who said there is no magic formula, wait and see.
Seriously? "no magic formula, wait and see"

AQM is based on the fare class of your ticket. The Aeroplan pages for Air Canada and Air China will show you what you should earn. But you need to check very carefully to see exactly what.

If you can post your exact flight routes (not dates or other personal info) and the exact fare class showing, then perhaps someone here can help you figure it out.
24left is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:29 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 24
Yes, i was surprised but just scrolling through past posts I see that it has happened to others. I was just surprised by the attitude. with Aeroplan agent but I must say that the AC agent tried her best.

Thanks so much for your advice. .

Flights are: CA 118 from HKG to Beijing on B class, then AC030 from Beijing to YVR on N class, and from YVR to HK on AC 7 on N class. Thanks in advace for any help provided.
Brenjoa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:32 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, AA EXP, NH, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 14,151
Originally Posted by Brenjoa View Post
Yes, i was surprised but just scrolling through past posts I see that it has happened to others. I was just surprised by the attitude. with Aeroplan agent but I must say that the AC agent tried her best.

Thanks so much for your advice. .

Flights are: CA 118 from HKG to Beijing on B class, then AC030 from Beijing to YVR on N class, and from YVR to HK on AC 7 on N class. Thanks in advace for any help provided.
I assume this is a paid ticket, not an Aeroplan reward ticket. And back in the day, the Aeroplan agents used to be able to tell you what the miles are. Telling a customer there is "no magic formula, wait and see" is silly and somewhat unprofessional. IMHO.

N being Premium Economy on AC...

YVR-HKG is exactly 6,382 base miles x 1.25 for PE = 7,977.5 AQM
24left is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:35 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 24
Yes it is a paid ticket. Thanks for the information re the YVR to HKG portion. Hoping someone can help me with the rest.... My problem is the HKG to Beijing part which is on Air China. I did book on the Air Canada website.....
Brenjoa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:39 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, AA EXP, NH, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 14,151
Originally Posted by Brenjoa View Post
Yes it is a paid ticket. Thanks for the information re the YVR to HKG portion. Hoping someone can help me with the rest.... My problem is the HKG to Beijing part which is on Air China. I did book on the Air Canada website.....
Here is the page for earnings on Air China

https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...rtner=AirChina

I only included YVR-HKG as I fly it often so I know the base miles.
24left is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:42 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 24
Thank you so much..Appreciate the help.
Brenjoa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:47 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, SPG P75, NEXUS
Posts: 421
I flew AC30 two weeks ago and it was 5,277 + 2,639 miles in J, so + 1,319 in PY.

The eUpgrade site “preview” feature can give you a good estimate as well, however I find it’s always off by a few miles.
JordanYVR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:55 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks for the tip,,, This is the problem, I cannot afford to be off by a few miles.... I made a number of errors in bookings this year and am at the stage for every mile counts.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.
Brenjoa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:08 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 24
Tried the e-upgrade feature but no information was provided.
Brenjoa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:09 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, AA EXP, NH, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 14,151
Originally Posted by Brenjoa View Post
Thanks for the tip,,, This is the problem, I cannot afford to be off by a few miles.... I made a number of errors in bookings this year and am at the stage for every mile counts.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.
Some advice and I only speak for myself: I would never let myself get so close as to have some unexpected issue mess up my earnings. (AQM,AQD,AQS). Weather, mechanicals and issues with partner airlines, and/or flight changes and cancellations, can all lead to earnings that are not what was estimated.

I'm sure many here build in a buffer, and many others add segments or do a MR. I'd rather be over than worry. But that's me.
shadowspar, Bohemian1 and Brenjoa like this.
24left is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:21 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 24
Yes I did a last trip one weekend and again was not careful enough as was not abreast of all changes. .
​​​​​Unfortunately I couldn't afford to get the time to do extra runs, first experience in this predicament. Been a AC frequent flyer over 20 plus years and always had over 5000 miles than needed. Oh well live and learn.

Thanks again for the help.
Brenjoa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:39 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 5,286
Originally Posted by Brenjoa View Post
Tried the e-upgrade feature but no information was provided.
24left linked to the pages on the Aeroplan site that will see the percentage earning rate relative to distance flown.

Plumber linked to the calculator spreadsheet that was built by me and several others to help with situations like this.

Combine the two and you will know, with a tiny margin of error, what you will earn.
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 5:19 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
24left linked to the pages on the Aeroplan site that will see the percentage earning rate relative to distance flown.

Plumber linked to the calculator spreadsheet that was built by me and several others to help with situations like this.

Combine the two and you will know, with a tiny margin of error, what you will earn.
Brenjoa is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: