Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada From Vancouver to SYD - Buy Business upfront or buy economy & Upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada From Vancouver to SYD - Buy Business upfront or buy economy & Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Not sure what status you have with AC or what other flying you will do next year (and the year after) but you are going to earn 150% AQM here and a good chunk of AQD. I would try and leverage this to ensure I made SE, ideally with early recognition. That would help justify the $$ spend.
PE actually earn 125% AQM, not 150%. But a fair point nonetheless.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by chicago747
I see that on March 19th Air Canada has YVR-BNE at saver levels in J. I bet you could purchase a BNE-SYD flight cheap.

I also see that on March 28th Hawaiin Airlines has SYD-HNL on their new lie-flat seats at saver J levels. They partner with Amex I'm sure you could then add on a nonstop HNL-YVR on AC. There's also some paid one-way flights thru Asia home for $3k and under.

If it was me I'd probably leg this using miles and probably cash for the add on flights. But I'm cheap and $8k is more than I'm willing to spend. I'm guessing that $k for the ease and convinces of nonstops is worth it to the OP. If not, then hopefully you are within the 24 hour cancel period (if AC has one).
I also saw Virgin Australia from YVR to SYD on the exact dates that OP has wanted for <C$5,500 all-in in discount business class.

Buying AC business at C$8,000 or C$3,500 in PE and hoping to do a bid upgrade or LMU does not appear to make a lot of sense.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I also saw Virgin Australia from YVR to SYD on the exact dates that OP has wanted for <C$5,500 all-in in discount business class.
VA fly LAX - SYD/MEL/BNE. From VYR to LAX would be on AC or DL codeshares
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Not sure what status you have with AC or what other flying you will do next year (and the year after) but you are going to earn 150% AQM here and a good chunk of AQD. I would try and leverage this to ensure I made SE, ideally with early recognition. That would help justify the $$ spend.
OP stated not currently being Aeroplan member at all (post 1). Signing up for Aeroplan account should be the first order of business, unless crediting to another Star Alliance account.
24left and jc94 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by jasdou
PE actually earn 125% AQM, not 150%. But a fair point nonetheless.
Yes, I thought the OP had paid the premium to book J. If only PY then the case for SE is much less compelling, but I would still want to ensure some status from it. Years ago when I realised I wouldn't make status in one calendar year I did a LHR-SYD run in J (there used to be some good fares through CAN) in Feb, around 40K, status for two years. This was when there was either E or SE only.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Not to mention even at PY you’re not that far away from a 25k mileage award ..

YQ (and bags) free within NA even at P25 I believe.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Did you pay the huge premium to fly AC instead of some other airlines with significantly cheaper business class fares?
Um, Yeah, unfortunately. I looked at a lot of other options. Driving to Seattle, flying out through Calgary, Flying through China or Korea and the best price was $5500 with long layovers Via China Air or $6000 with short layovers but much longer flights (Korea). It was 15.5 hours Vs 22 - 26 hours to save $2k so i just said its not worth it. If i wasn't doing a flight to Athens two days later i'd have been more willing to jump through the hoops on this one.

Not sure what status you have with AC or what other flying you will do next year (and the year after) but you are going to earn 150% AQM here and a good chunk of AQD. I would try and leverage this to ensure I made SE, ideally with early recognition. That would help justify the $$ spend..
I did pay the premium for J. I did also sign up for Aeroplan right beforehand. I hadn't thought about status at all here. If i could get early recognition it would be great for the follow on flight. Would that be putting in a call to them or how to achieve?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Conor Seasaca
Um, Yeah, unfortunately. I looked at a lot of other options. Driving to Seattle, flying out through Calgary, Flying through China or Korea and the best price was $5500 with long layovers Via China Air or $6000 with short layovers but much longer flights (Korea). It was 15.5 hours Vs 22 - 26 hours to save $2k so i just said its not worth it. If i wasn't doing a flight to Athens two days later i'd have been more willing to jump through the hoops on this one.
Did you consider Virgin Australia? YVR-LAX (Code share AC) thence LAX direct non-stop SYD. All for under C$5,500 all-in on the dates that you wanted.

Good deal if Aeroplan points and Attitude status are unimportant to you. Admittedly, this is not a direct non-stop from YVR to SYD.

I gave up on AC status a few years ago because I could almost always find cheaper (premium class) fares on other airlines, sometimes code share operated by AC!

There are also other a little more expensive but cheaper than AC Signature/business class fare on other airlines such as UA and NZ around the dates that you wanted.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: *G
As far as J upgrades YVR-SYD are concerned, I agree it’s normally difficult but I once saw all Business fare classes, including R, showing 9 when the flight closed. J was half full.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Conor Seasaca
I did pay the premium for J. I did also sign up for Aeroplan right beforehand. I hadn't thought about status at all here. If i could get early recognition it would be great for the follow on flight. Would that be putting in a call to them or how to achieve?
Just earn the extra AQM to get you to 25,000 AQM. AQD won’t be an issue for you.

While P25k wasn’t somethig you could early qualify before 2019 one assumes it’ll work the same as it has done for all other levels. Shortly (normally 1-3 days) after you hit 25k you’ll get an email and option to select your benefits.

Which will all be valid until Feb 2021. And you’ll get to repick options Dec 19-Feb 20.

Given J you’ll be about 1700 miles short. Do you have any other *A travel booked in 2019? For example, NZ travel out of SYD would qualify.

Edit - Make sure you new AP numbers are associated with the booking. You can do it at OLCI but might be easier to do it now. Certainly easier than having to try and claim it afterwards.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Did you consider Virgin Australia? YVR-LAX (Code share AC) thence LAX direct non-stop SYD. All for under C$5,500 all-in on the dates that you wanted.
I looked during the cancellation period specifically after seeing your post. It was coming in at $6200 for me and between the routing and layover the travel time was something like 7 hours more, so i just reckoned it was not worth it.

Originally Posted by jc94

Just earn the extra AQM to get you to 25,000 AQM. AQD won’t be an issue for you.

While P25k wasn’t somethig you could early qualify before 2019 one assumes it’ll work the same as it has done for all other levels. Shortly (normally 1-3 days) after you hit 25k you’ll get an email and option to select your benefits.

Which will all be valid until Feb 2021. And you’ll get to repick options Dec 19-Feb 20.

Given J you’ll be about 1700 miles short. Do you have any other *A travel booked in 2019? For example, NZ travel out of SYD would qualify.

Edit - Make sure you new AP numbers are associated with the booking. You can do it at OLCI but might be easier to do it now. Certainly easier than having to try and claim it afterwards.
I just checked the Star Alliance members and no joy there. I'm sure i'll have a flight somewhere during the year though. Probably one to YVR to Greece will be on Air Canada and business too.

So there is there a way to get the staus before the Syndey flight is actually taken as the next flight is the day after I get back. It would be nice to be able to book that with status.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you're flying paid J, S100K status would give you a potentially marginal benefit, but no lower tier is going to make much difference.
jc94 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Good deal if Aeroplan points and Attitude status are unimportant to you. Admittedly, this is not a direct non-stop from YVR to SYD.

I gave up on AC status a few years ago because I could almost always find cheaper (premium class) fares on other airlines, sometimes code share operated by AC!

There are also other a little more expensive but cheaper than AC Signature/business class fare on other airlines such as UA and NZ around the dates that you wanted.
Which airline do you have status with?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by lsquare
Which airline do you have status with?
Just a FYI, you replied to a post from Dec 2018.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 24left
Just a FYI, you replied to a post from Dec 2018.
I know, but it wasn't that long ago right? It's only March 2019...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.