Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: check/alert for business seat availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: check/alert for business seat availability?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: no status
check/alert for business seat availability?

So I finally managed to use up most of my points for a trip to Europe in business class (LO and TK). Not surprising, the only two flights within Canada are also the only segments in Economy, but I was told that if seats become available I can call in at any time to change them. I think there is (or was?) some tool where I can check for seat availability, or even set alerts and I hope that someone can point me in the right direction. The specific flights are AC1118 on March 8, and AC1117 on April 3.
TIA
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
These guys do a good job with both availability and setting alerts:
https://www.expertflyer.com/
sram and bluenose77 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bawm
These guys do a good job with both availability and setting alerts:
https://www.expertflyer.com/
Thanks, I signed up and it shows many empty seats. But I don't think they are available for rewards - is there a way to filter those available for AP redemption?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:34 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Thanks, I signed up and it shows many empty seats. But I don't think they are available for rewards - is there a way to filter those available for AP redemption?
Once you are logged into EF, on the left hand nav click on the "Awards and Upgrades" item. Once you enter in some dates and choose the airline, you should see a variety of filters that you can use to figure out if there are any reward seats. You can also set alerts as well for these.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Once you are logged into EF, on the left hand nav click on the "Awards and Upgrades" item. Once you enter in some dates and choose the airline, you should see a variety of filters that you can use to figure out if there are any reward seats. You can also set alerts as well for these.
Ah thanks. It looks like this tool will require a subscription but has 5-day trial. Any chances that award seat will actually open up in a 5-day trial period - so question is when should I take the trial for flights in March?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:19 am

Ah thanks. It looks like this tool will require a subscription but has 5-day trial. Any chances that award seat will actually open up in a 5-day trial period - so question is when should I take the trial for flights in March?
That's really tough to predict, but I doubt a 5 day window is going to do you much good.

For me, if you were planning any amount of travel over the next year or were looking to do another Aeroplan redemption, I think the cost of Expert Flyer is worth it. There's also KVS Tool, which I use more often for researching award travel, but only you can say if either of these two assets are worth it to you.

If cost truly is an issue, you might be better off checking Aeroplan every day.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So I finally managed to use up most of my points for a trip to Europe in business class (LO and TK). Not surprising, the only two flights within Canada are also the only segments in Economy, but I was told that if seats become available I can call in at any time to change them. I think there is (or was?) some tool where I can check for seat availability, or even set alerts and I hope that someone can point me in the right direction. The specific flights are AC1118 on March 8, and AC1117 on April 3.
TIA
@Merlin666

Aside from EF, checkout the wiki in this master thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...st-thread.html

I don't believe BCD Availability tool allows for alerts, but at least you can check inventory anytime without a subscription.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

If cost truly is an issue, you might be better off checking Aeroplan every day.
I have pretty much given up on aeroplan and AC, and this trip burns most of my last miles before more devaluation and chaos. So I will likely just check on aeroplan once in a while. Thanks for all the good suggestions.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
You could pay for an actual subscription for a few months, it's only ten bucks a month.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Expertflyer is an awesome tool for many things, but not all that great for monitoring Aeroplan award availability on AC since Expertflyer only displays AC award availability offered to partner airlines (whereas AC makes much more award space available to Aeroplan members, especially in business class)
shadowspar likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Expertflyer is an awesome tool for many things, but not all that great for monitoring Aeroplan award availability on AC since Expertflyer only displays AC award availability offered to partner airlines (whereas AC makes much more award space available to Aeroplan members, especially in business class)
That's one of the reasons I like using KVS Tool - I get a more accurate view into Aeroplan rewards. From the KVS Tool help:

Great for research, but sadly not alerts.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

That's one of the reasons I like using KVS Tool - I get a more accurate view into Aeroplan rewards. From the KVS Tool help:

Great for research, but sadly not alerts.
Figures that they have this blocked in my office for "Freeware and Shareware"
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:01 pm

Figures that they have this blocked in my office for "Freeware and Shareware"
Neanderthals!

Probably the same people who block reddit.
jc94 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Neanderthals!

Probably the same people who block reddit.
I didn't realize @Merlin666 works for AC.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I didn't realize @Merlin666 works for AC.
Good one ... but not even close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.