Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Aeroplan Ticket AND Middle Name on ticket but not on passport/visa - okay or trouble?

Question: Aeroplan Ticket AND Middle Name on ticket but not on passport/visa - okay or trouble?

Old Dec 1, 18, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Aeroplan Ticket AND Middle Name on ticket but not on passport/visa - okay or trouble?

Booked our 22 yr old daughter to come with us to China - she is on an Aeroplan ticket and we are on a revenue ticket.
Itinerary: AC YOW-YYZ-PEK Air China PEK-SHA Asiana PVG followed by AC ICN-YYZ-YOW

She has 3 names, including middle name.

So I booked her Aeroplan ticket through my Aeroplan account, using her 3 names.

Then we took our visa applications to the Chinese visa processing centre in Ottawa.
The agent there noticed that the passport only had 2 names, but we had put all 3 names on the visa application.
So her middle name was removed from her visa application.

Obviously, when she had renewed a couple of years ago, she had elected not to add her middle name onto her new passport.
I have booked her flight tickets over the last couple of years - on AC - mainly domestic or transborder routes. But earlier this year, she did fly from Paris to Montreal on Air Transat. No issues on those flights.

The question is whether there will be an issue with her flights - as her name on her ticket "does not match" that of her passport - 2 names on passport and visa; 3 names on ticket.
Complication: besides AC - flying on Air China and on Asiana.
Old Dec 1, 18, 5:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan P25, Skymiles, Accor Silver, Hilton gold
See this thread for a recent discussion on middle names
Middle Name on Tickets
Old Dec 1, 18, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
See this thread for a recent discussion on middle names
Middle Name on Tickets
That thread is opposite to the scenario I am inquiring about in my post. That thread talks about middle names listed on the passport or other identifying documents, but not on the flight ticket or boarding pass.
I am asking the reverse - what happens if the middle name is on the ticket/boarding pass but not on the passport or on the visa?
Old Dec 2, 18, 11:03 am

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
That thread is opposite to the scenario I am inquiring about in my post. That thread talks about middle names listed on the passport or other identifying documents, but not on the flight ticket or boarding pass.
I am asking the reverse - what happens if the middle name is on the ticket/boarding pass but not on the passport or on the visa?
From post 10 in that thread:
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
Like others I have dropped my middle name on my passport and everywhere else. It is just easier.

There was a period where my tickets had it and my passport didnít and it never caused a problem. At least for Canada - USA travel.
Old Dec 2, 18, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
From post 10 in that thread:
As stated in my post - my daughter is not undertaking Canada-Canada or Canada-USA travel; and the flights are on 2 other airlines besides AC.

So my question still stands!
Old Dec 2, 18, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
As stated in my post - my daughter is not undertaking Canada-Canada or Canada-USA travel; and the flights are on 2 other airlines besides AC.

So my question still stands!
I think @canopus27's and @wysiwyg's points were that the thread they referenced could have been leveraged with your additional deltas since @ridefar's post was the opposite of the OP and more aligned with your question. But I could be wrong on what I perceive their attempts to be.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Aeroplan was not able to change the ticket - the agent said I had to cancel the ticket and rebook the flights - but if I did that, I would incur a change fee! and that the Canada to China and China to Canada flights no longer had IKK/priority Aeroplan reward space in business class.

So I then went to the central concierge desk - the agent contact AC/Air China/Asiana - first it got their policy on middle names not matching between ticket and passport.
Air China and Asiana would not have accepted her (Aeroplan) ticket with her middle name, if the passport did not have the middle name.
AC did not have such issues.

Then the concierge was able to change the ticket by speaking to Aeroplan - just with a name change - but no change fee incurred!
Old Jan 19, 19, 6:26 pm
5mm
Suspended

Booked our 22 yr old daughter to come with us to China - she is on an Aeroplan ticket and we are on a revenue ticket.
Itinerary: AC YOW-YYZ-PEK Air China PEK-SHA Asiana PVG followed by AC ICN-YYZ-YOW

She has 3 names, including middle name.

So I booked her Aeroplan ticket through my Aeroplan account, using her 3 names.

Then we took our visa applications to the Chinese visa processing centre in Ottawa.
The agent there noticed that the passport only had 2 names, but we had put all 3 names on the visa application.
So her middle name was removed from her visa application.

Obviously, when she had renewed a couple of years ago, she had elected not to add her middle name onto her new passport.
I have booked her flight tickets over the last couple of years - on AC - mainly domestic or transborder routes. But earlier this year, she did fly from Paris to Montreal on Air Transat. No issues on those flights.

The question is whether there will be an issue with her flights - as her name on her ticket "does not match" that of her passport - 2 names on passport and visa; 3 names on ticket.
Complication: besides AC - flying on Air China and on Asiana.
First, I'm surprised that the passport offfice would issue a passport with this mistake. Maybe go get her passport reissued with her legal name. I don't think you will have a problem, but if any problems come up, the ticket name will have to match passport.
Old Jan 19, 19, 6:44 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 5mm View Post
First, I'm surprised that the passport offfice would issue a passport with this mistake. Maybe go get her passport reissued with her legal name. I don't think you will have a problem, but if any problems come up, the ticket name will have to match passport.
Previously I had thought that this was a mistake to not have the full name. However, I have booked flights for a number of my wife's family who have not included their middle names on the passport. None of these people experienced problems flying. These flights were to various locations domestically and internationally (including Cuba).
Old Jan 20, 19, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belky15 View Post
Previously I had thought that this was a mistake to not have the full name. However, I have booked flights for a number of my wife's family who have not included their middle names on the passport. None of these people experienced problems flying. These flights were to various locations domestically and internationally (including Cuba).
I am saying that the issue of middle name being identical with ticket and passport is airline specific. Of course, AC has no issues with this. But Air China and Asiana did have issues - which was confirmed by the concierge contact the representatives of both airlines, respectively.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: