Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Trying to book Business class from YYZ to MEL Australia on Aeroplan award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Trying to book Business class from YYZ to MEL Australia on Aeroplan award

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Trying to book Business class from YYZ to MEL Australia on Aeroplan award

Hello,

I am looking to travel to Melbourne in the first couple of weeks of January 2019. I see some availability on economy on AC via YVR. We are ideally looking for one way and don't mind traveling to US to catch flights to Melbourne.

If one way doesn't work, we can probably do round trip by adding stopovers but ideally we would like to minimize travel and flights as we have a 2 year baby.

Any suggestions/advice on some creative routing ?

Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Does that mean you are looking for three Business award seats?

Where are you based?
Do you have Status with Air Canada?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plumber
Does that mean you are looking for three Business award seats?

Where are you based?
Do you have Status with Air Canada?
Yes I am looking for Business award seats. I am based in Toronto. I am also looking at options where I just get to Auckland and then buy separate flights to Melbourne. Unfortunately I dont have a status with AC.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Melbourne has a very generous permitted mileage.
Look into awards via Asia. You are unlikely to find Air Canada/United space for summer time this close in.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Look into awards via Asia. You are unlikely to find Air Canada/United space for summer time this close in.
Could you perhaps explain what you mean by this? A search of Aeroplan is unlikely to turn up anything like awards via Asia. So what's the process for finding them and then booking them via Aeroplan?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Could you perhaps explain what you mean by this? A search of Aeroplan is unlikely to turn up anything like awards via Asia. So what's the process for finding them and then booking them via Aeroplan?
Search by segment using Aeroplan one ways or united.com, stitch the route together yourself, and call in to book spoonfeeding the agent flight by flight.
If its under the MPM, it will validate, you pay your $34 phone fee, and youre on your way.

There are many example of getting to Australia via Europe/Asia in the mini-rtw thread.

Now unlikely the OP wants to take their 2yr old the long way - but going via Asia only adds a few hours, and avoids connecting in YVR/SFO/LAX
Clipper801 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I sometimes work backwards. If you know which *A airlines fly into MEL, you know which hubs you need to get to. In this case, SIN and BKK would be the main Asia hubs to route though.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AC SE
That's really helpful. Thank you.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Celticfrost
I am looking to travel to Melbourne in the first couple of weeks of January 2019. I see some availability on economy on AC via YVR. We are ideally looking for one way and don't mind traveling to US to catch flights to Melbourne.

If one way doesn't work, we can probably do round trip by adding stopovers but ideally we would like to minimize travel and flights as we have a 2 year baby.

Any suggestions/advice on some creative routing?
Yes I am looking for Business award seats. I am based in Toronto. I am also looking at options where I just get to Auckland and then buy separate flights to Melbourne. Unfortunately I don't have a status with AC.
Getting 3 business class awards North America - Australia/NZ on the same flight is always very very hard. And close in at a busy time even more so. Consider all airports with separate domestic/TT flights as needed.

Air NZ (Star Alliance) are know to be very stingy with awards to partners, which will not help you. But look at the new ORD AKL route.
Trans Tasman (NZ AU) there are many airlines from/to many airports. Not just AKL SYD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Airport

Good luck: you will need it!!

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia (not from all airports to all airports)
  • American Airlines AA(LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
  • Air Canada AC (YVR – SYD BNE MEL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO ORD IAH YVR via AKL)[Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX via Tahiti. Last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
  • Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ (LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL ADL via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA (HNL – BNE SYD) (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ (HNL – BNE SYD MEL)
  • Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK(via LAX) DFW HNL YVR*– SYD; LAX-BNE; LAX SFO-MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) {* seasonal}
  • United UA (LAX-MEL, LAX SFO IAH– SYD) [Star Alliance]
  • Virgin Australia VA (LAX – BNE SYD MEL) (codeshares with AC*) (Delta & AC* partner) [*= some routes in 2017-18 link
And others via Asia & Middle East

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from New Zealand are (not from all airports to all airports)And others via Australia, Asia & Middle East

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 30, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@Mwenenzi

Great post and very informative. Thanks

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Getting 3 business class awards North America - Australia/NZ on the same flight is always very very hard. And close in at a busy time even more so. Consider all airports with separate domestic/TT flights as needed.
Agree.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
.....Air NZ (Star Alliance) are know to be very stingy with awards to partners, which will not help you.
Trans Tasman (NZ AU) there are many airlines from/to many airports. Not just AKL SYD.
Exactly. While I was able to find multiples this year, it was just one seat and in J and I was very flexible with dates and flights (airport origins)

I will also add the issue that NZ has with their B789s and the specific Trent engines.

For those who don't read the NZ forum or the NZ info pages, this issue has severely impacted their flights and they have had to lease aircraft from BR and SQ. Flights get cancelled, aircraft are swapped. And that doesn't even include damage to a perfectly good 777 at LAX recently.

YMMV
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies. Actually my daughter doesn't turn 2 until Jan 5th so I could add her as infant. I think finding more than 1 business seat is always going to be a challenge. I have been able to see some dates in early Feb but thats not what I am looking for.

I see lots of availability of business class availability on Air NZ from Singapore to AKL.

So if I am able to find connecting flight to Singapore from YYZ and then from AKL to Mel and call Aeroplan, would that constitue a one way flight ? Or I would need to book a round trip that allows 2 stopovers ?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
......I think finding more than 1 business seat is always going to be a challenge. I have been able to see some dates in early Feb but thats not what I am looking for.......
I wasn't suggesting you were looking for J. The points I made were FYI.

......I see lots of availability of business class availability on Air NZ from Singapore to AKL.

And while you aren't looking for J seats, there may also be some info for you here. See posts 22-24

SIN-AKL-IAH NZ J award - worth it?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Melbourne has a very generous permitted mileage.
+1
Its not all that bad going through Asia to reach Australia/NZ.
That direct flight from YVR to Australia is a long long flight even in business class.
I did that trip on a reward ticket with AC on biz last december, was like 16 hours. Even in biz, i was thinking it would've been a good idea to have a break after 10-12 hours.
Especially with a 2 year old.
something to think about.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by Commie
Even in biz, i was thinking it would've been a good idea to have a break after 10-12 hours.
Especially with a 2 year old.
something to think about.
This is the best advice so far in this thread.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Thank you for all the replies. Actually my daughter doesn't turn 2 until Jan 5th so I could add her as infant. I think finding more than 1 business seat is always going to be a challenge. I have been able to see some dates in early Feb but thats not what I am looking for.

I see lots of availability of business class availability on Air NZ from Singapore to AKL.

So if I am able to find connecting flight to Singapore from YYZ and then from AKL to Mel and call Aeroplan, would that constitue a one way flight ? Or I would need to book a round trip that allows 2 stopovers ?
if your daughter is 2 on the departure date, you cannot add them as an infant. If they turn two on the actual trip, you can’t have them as an infant for the return,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.