Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: eUpgrade Entire Family (3 pax)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: eUpgrade Entire Family (3 pax)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K
eUpgrade Entire Family (3 pax)

Rookie question:

Myself, wife and son are going somewhere sunny in January (UVF). My SE 100K status likely won’t kick in until March 2019 as I missed the early recognition window, so I can’t make my wife an eUpgrade nominee.

Is there a way I can eUpgrade all 3 of us in advance at my window of opportunity (E75K), or am I limited to me + 1 in advance and have to check at the gate for the 3rd pax if room available?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
According to Air Canada, you do get one 'eUpgrade Travel Companion" plus one more at the airport on the day of the flight.

Enjoy the privilege of upgrading one companion who is traveling on the same reservation as you, known as an eUpgrade Travel Companion. In addition, at the airport on the day of departure, you can also upgrade one additional companion not travelling on the same reservation as you, but on the same flight as you.

You may need to upgrade 2 of you and try for the third one the day of the flight. I dont know how old your son is and whether you are ok with the possibility of being split up. Nor am I sure if this will require your PNRs to be separated.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by dennisthemenace
Rookie question:

Myself, wife and son are going somewhere sunny in January (UVF). My SE 100K status likely won’t kick in until March 2019 as I missed the early recognition window, so I can’t make my wife an eUpgrade nominee.

Is there a way I can eUpgrade all 3 of us in advance at my window of opportunity (E75K), or am I limited to me + 1 in advance and have to check at the gate for the 3rd pax if room available?
You are misunderstanding the "early recognition." It has nothing to do with the next qualification year, and more as a 2nd chance to qualify for the current benefit year (i.e. your early qualification benefits would expire in Feb 2019). If you've already reached your AQM/AQD/AQS for 2018, you'll likely get your SE status effective in December 2018 with February 2020 expiry.

My recommendation, don't waste a nominee slot on your wife. Gift her E50k benefits as part of your select benefits and then she'll have her own credits to use, etc. Wait until upgrade window (although her window will be after yours) to split the PNR depending on available space. I'd wait and try to upgrade wife/son first if there is upgrade space available - if there is a waitlist you're more likely to clear at the gate. Otherwise put your wife on separate PNR and upgrade you and your son ASAP when your window opens and then if your wife's upgrade doesn't clear switch seats with her on the plane (happy wife, happy life, etc.).
Plumber likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
1. Your SE status should be active by the end of Dec. Usually.
2. Of course if there are only two J seats available, your wife and son get the upgrades, right?
--
13F

PS Isn't this a ACr route?
Plumber and Diabeetus like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by YEG USER
You are misunderstanding the "early recognition." It has nothing to do with the next qualification year, and more as a 2nd chance to qualify for the current benefit year (i.e. your early qualification benefits would expire in Feb 2019). If you've already reached your AQM/AQD/AQS for 2018, you'll likely get your SE status effective in December 2018 with February 2020 expiry.

My recommendation, don't waste a nominee slot on your wife. Gift her E50k benefits as part of your select benefits and then she'll have her own credits to use, etc. Wait until upgrade window (although her window will be after yours) to split the PNR depending on available space. I'd wait and try to upgrade wife/son first if there is upgrade space available - if there is a waitlist you're more likely to clear at the gate. Otherwise put your wife on separate PNR and upgrade you and your son ASAP when your window opens and then if your wife's upgrade doesn't clear switch seats with her on the plane (happy wife, happy life, etc.).
This.....also you could make sure your wife and son are on the same PNR and have her eupgrade both your wife and son. Doesn't dip into your credits that way, if you care about that.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
Yes what was AC 868 has been Rouge for the last few years so there are 12 Premium Rouge seats.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by MQS007
Yes what was AC 868 has been Rouge for the last few years so there are 12 Premium Rouge seats.
I think you mean a different flight number because 868 has been the LHR dayliner for as long as I can remember.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help and assistance, but please ignore this thread!

The nuisance here is that the travel is booked through ACV and hence all eUpgrade's are on standby basis only and to be requested at check-in

Upgrades on Air Canada Vacations reservations are permitted on a standby basis, and may only be requested at check-in for eligible flights operated by Air Canada departing from or destined to a Sun destination within the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America. Certain flights departing Cuba are excluded.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:42 pm

Rookie question:

This is what I did this summer as a 75k.

3 of us travelling.
Upgraded myself at the window.
This will split the PNR.
At the airport request upgrade for the other two.

This may take a long time. Show up early.
If the agent doesn't know how to do it, they will have to call the help desk.
In my case, it was 30 minutes on hold with the help desk, plus 30 minutes getting the help desk to sort it out.

Don't take no for an answer. It can be done.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
If the son has no status, he will be at the bottom of the upgrade list and therefore has a much higher chance of not clearing vs E75K Dad and (gifted) E50K Mom.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tracon
This is what I did this summer as a 75k.

3 of us travelling.
Upgraded myself at the window.
This will split the PNR.
At the airport request upgrade for the other two.

This may take a long time. Show up early.
If the agent doesn't know how to do it, they will have to call the help desk.
In my case, it was 30 minutes on hold with the help desk, plus 30 minutes getting the help desk to sort it out.

Don't take no for an answer. It can be done.
OP just advised us that this is an ACV booking, so eUpgrade windows are now moot as part of the solution.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:04 am
Original Poster

So just wanted to provide an update on my experience in this scenario.

Despite AC Altitude saying that ACV bookings can only be requested at check-in, the eUpgrade tool allowed requesting upgrades at my window (T-7 days as a SE100K). The tool confirmed my upgrade, although I am still waiting for the email as well.

Now to Upgrade 3 passengers at a time - I made my wife an eUpgrade nominee and then I was able to upgrade myself, my son (travel companion) and wife (nominee) all at the same time with one click - super easy! Didn't need to split the PNR or gift my wife E50K status, etc.

All seemed to work like a charm, for once!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:19 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Glad to hear this worked out for you, OP. I had actually been meaning to post about the 7-day thing as a colleague of mine experienced that over the holidays as well, which was a pleasant surprise (although in her case, she was waitlisted from T-7 until day of travel as it was R0).
dennisthemenace likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
So just wanted to provide an update on my experience in this scenario.

Despite AC Altitude saying that ACV bookings can only be requested at check-in, the eUpgrade tool allowed requesting upgrades at my window (T-7 days as a SE100K). The tool confirmed my upgrade, although I am still waiting for the email as well.

Now to Upgrade 3 passengers at a time - I made my wife an eUpgrade nominee and then I was able to upgrade myself, my son (travel companion) and wife (nominee) all at the same time with one click - super easy! Didn't need to split the PNR or gift my wife E50K status, etc.

All seemed to work like a charm, for once!
Luckily your SE100K status early recognition kicked in!

I've done this as well with my wife and my mom on a flight to NRT a couple of years ago. 3 pax on 1 PNR will work for eupgrade as long as it is SE + nominee + companion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.