Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle Name on Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Middle Name on Tickets

Middle name is in my passport but Aeroplan didn't include it on the ticket. One of my segments will be with Brussels Airlines, has anyone had troubles with this?

Belgian law requires Brussels Airlines to perform a conformity check between the name on your boarding pass and the name on your identity card or passport. Conformity checks will be performed on all Brussels Airlines operated flights to and from Brussels, also on intra-Schengen flights. All guests need to be in possession of a valid identity card or passport when boarding(driving license and other documents like health insurance cards, bank cards etc. are not accepted as valid travel documents). This also applies to children and infants. You will only be accepted to board your flight if the names on your boarding pass and your identity card or passport match.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by laddielad
Middle name is in my passport but Aeroplan didn't include it on the ticket. One of my segments will be with Brussels Airlines, has anyone had troubles with this?

Belgian law requires Brussels Airlines to perform a conformity check between the name on your boarding pass and the name on your identity card or passport. Conformity checks will be performed on all Brussels Airlines operated flights to and from Brussels, also on intra-Schengen flights. All guests need to be in possession of a valid identity card or passport when boarding(driving license and other documents like health insurance cards, bank cards etc. are not accepted as valid travel documents). This also applies to children and infants. You will only be accepted to board your flight if the names on your boarding pass and your identity card or passport match.
I have flown SN often. I have never had this issue with them given my passport name and my printed BP name are not identical. But that's just my data point.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
I'm the same. I never issue tickets with my middle name or initial - it usually gives me more problems than it solves. Been through BEL many times without issue.
canadiancow, ridefar and Diabeetus like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AE, used to be E, Skymiles
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
I'm the same. I never issue tickets with my middle name or initial - it usually gives me more problems than it solves. Been through BEL many times without issue.
Have you been through BEL a Brazilian times?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Whyyz
Belem do Para... Podia passar por la so para ver...

Mouth of the Amazon, if my memory is correct.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:00 pm

Whilst I have a middle name (per birth certificate), I never use it for anything. My passport simply lists my first and last name. I've found it's made travel and immigration simpler (middle name is not a given name per se and is completely optional). That being same IANAL

In your circumstance I would try to match what appears on my passport with the ticket being issued. While 99% of the time airlines won't care if you omit a middle name that appears on a passport, you may not always be lucky and different regions have different rules as to what matches.

-James
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by Whyyz
I'll have to raise a BRU to toast that pun of yours.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by shadowspar
I'll have to raise a BRU to toast that pun of yours.
YEG-GO my puns or YUL be sorry!
shadowspar likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Has AC ever denied boarding one of their flights because the passport has a middle name but the ticket does not?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Like others I have dropped my middle name on my passport and everywhere else. It is just easier.

There was a period where my tickets had it and my passport didn’t and it never caused a problem. At least for Canada - USA travel.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:16 pm

For my next Mini-RTW the agent at Aeroplan insisted that all my given names (I have three, like many European-born folks) had to be listed on the tickets as one continuous character string. This makes my "first name" look like I'm from Sri Lanka, although my surname is only 5 letters. Anyone had any issues with this?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by laddielad

I booked YYC-LHR-BRU with LHR-BRU on SN a couple of years ago. Ticket with first and last name, passport also including my middle name. Same with nearly all of my tickets, really.

That being said, I do always add my middle name when I do APIS.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
I've had the same questions for a few years due to travelling with kids, passport renewals, some with middle names, some without, and each and every time there has been a discrepancy, the answer has always been either nothing, a shrug, or the comment that the middle name is not what they are worried about. First name, last name, critical, middle names, it appears, are not so much. And this includes travel to USA, Bahamas, UK, Barbados, and France.
YMMV, but I wouldn't worry too much as long as the first and last names match, despite the dire warnings.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Has anyone flown to/over the USA recently without a middle name on their ticket but their travel document has one? We had no issue about 8 months ago. Not sure if anything has changed since then.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by karlpenney
Has anyone flown to/over the USA recently without a middle name on their ticket but their travel document has one? We had no issue about 8 months ago. Not sure if anything has changed since then.
I flew into and out of the USA at the end of Oct. No middle name on ticket. No problem.
TOR27 and RangerNS like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.