Middle Name on Tickets

Old Nov 28, 18, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by karlpenney View Post
Has anyone flown to/over the USA recently without a middle name on their ticket but their travel document has one? We had no issue about 8 months ago. Not sure if anything has changed since then.
Dozens of times this year.

I never put my middle name on anything, but it's on my passport, NEXUS, and green card.
Old Nov 28, 18, 4:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Skymiles, Accor Gold,, Hilton gold
When I booked my redemption via Aeroplan call centre, she didn’t want my middle name when I offered to give it. She said, “all we need is first and last”. I will know in January, I guess!
Old Nov 28, 18, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
My passport and Mrs Maplegs both have middle named. Never use them on airline tickets and never once been a problem. This includes Aeroplan.
Old Nov 28, 18, 5:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Has anyone flown to/over the USA recently without a middle name on their ticket but their travel document has one? We had no issue about 8 months ago. Not sure if anything has changed since then.
Yes, and no issues. Although I always put my middle name in the APIS. Going to the US, having a common name like mine can be an issue, because there's inevitably someone with the same name who has done something naughty.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold - Air Canada 25K
in my travels Can to US and Can to many European country's i have always just done first and last a few tickets looking back have my middle name but those were booked for me not don't my self. never really bothered to add my middle name never had a issue. just a slight delay once with the TSA when using a Ontario drivers licence only to board a US domestic flight.
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Has AC ever denied boarding one of their flights because the passport has a middle name but the ticket does not?
If an AC agent has a problem with not being there, their standing in front of a computer terminal where they go and the middle name if it is that important to them.

Generally no one cares.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:42 pm

I have done things both ways - with middle name and without. Never been an issue. Several continents. Countless countries. Belgium specifically with and without over the last couple years ... without middle name in April 2016 while they were at their highest level of security.
Old Dec 2, 18, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
Like others I have dropped my middle name on my passport and everywhere else. It is just easier.

There was a period where my tickets had it and my passport didnít and it never caused a problem. At least for Canada - USA travel.
When traveling with my sister through Asia and elsewhere, she had her middle name on her boarding passes but not on her passport or required visas. When we checked in at the airport the agents didn't say it was a problem and didn't say anything until we brought it up.
She/we didn't run into any issues, but my guess is YMMV and we could've been lucky.
Old Dec 2, 18, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Aeroplan always attaches my middle initial to my first name on redemption tickets. Never been an issue on AC,LH,LX etc. I phoned up the first time years ago panicking and they said it wouldn't be an issue and it never has been
Old Dec 2, 18, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
Aeroplan always attaches my middle initial to my first name on redemption tickets. Never been an issue on AC,LH,LX etc. I phoned up the first time years ago panicking and they said it wouldn't be an issue and it never has been
That's not limited to Aeroplan. If you enter first+middle (separated by a space) in the first name field, that's how it shows. Totally standard. On paid tickets too. My wife always uses the two together, and that's how it shows. Always.
Old Dec 2, 18, 6:42 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Going to the US, having a common name like mine can be an issue, because there's inevitably someone with the same name who has done something naughty.
Like authoring The Wealth of Nations?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 18, 8:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska
I go by my middle name and it has caused me endless grief all my life. Computers just do not understand that some people do. So my airline tickets must match the complete name on my passport. Recently had trouble transferring AS miles from my Alaska card to AS. As the airline had my full name to match my passport and MBNA just had my middle name, the accounts did not match, so a second one was set up. At least they handled it on the phone. Marriott wanted a copy of my birth certificate to match me with SPG. Don't ever call your kids by their middle name!
Old Dec 2, 18, 9:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
That's not limited to Aeroplan. If you enter first+middle (separated by a space) in the first name field, that's how it shows. Totally standard. On paid tickets too. My wife always uses the two together, and that's how it shows. Always.
But I never use the middle name on paid tickets but on my Amex it has my middle initial and that seems to be where AE picks it up from. I never personally see it on paid AC tickets
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:58 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
My passport and Mrs Maplegs both have middle named. Never use them on airline tickets and never once been a problem. This includes Aeroplan.
Same with me. Over 1000 flights without middle name on ticket, although it is in passport, and never an issue.
Old Dec 4, 18, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by Whyyz View Post
Have you been through BEL a Brazilian times?
Oh my . . rookie mistake . . .

BRU - - Not even sure what I was thinking really.

Search this Thread