Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Couldn’t use ‘Extended’ Drivers License to Board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

I was boarding in Calgary with an extended Ontario Driver License, so it has a sticker on it that it is valid only for photo ID and needs the additinal piece of paper they give you when you renew your license. So it IS a valid drivers license. I have boarded about 5 Canadian flight with it like this. The GA in calgary says it’s expired and says she can’t board me with it, and adds something cryptic about it’s an Ontario and we’re in Alberta. I argued briefly with her even pulling out the additional paper but she insists I can’t use it. Luckily I have Nexus, but the average passenger without a passport or Nexus would be screwed. I told her I didn’t believe her and she just smiles sardonically at me and says ‘sure’ so now I really want to know who is right . Thinking of contacting AC on this. I can drive with this but can’t fly with it, so if she’s right, it’s bizarre.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I see a 5% (2% after yq/tax) discount code coming your way!

The GA works at the airport, therefore she knows best.
Plumber and Symmetre like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: hahaha
Sounds like another story of an inconsistent GA checking ID.

As a resident of Alberta for all but one year of my life, for that one other year I was a Japanese resident that happened to be in Canada for multiple domestic hops. During those trips I flashed my expired Japanese ID where my AB license usually would have been placed in my wallet by mistake, they always let me board and it was only when I realized my mistake after 4-5 flights that I realized I could have ended up like you.

Based on my experiences (is that considered a false positive) and yours (false negative?), I don't think GAs are trained well for ID policies on domestic hop, I think we'll keep hearing stories of GAs not being well read on the rules: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...documents.html

Fun fact, when I worked for an AB municipality I asked if I could use my employee badge as valid photo ID, since it was issued by a government authority after all. The gate agent (she seemed super nervous as if she just started the job) was scrambling for an answer before I pulled out NEXUS to her relief. What to do then?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
I was boarding in Calgary with an extended Ontario Driver License, so it has a sticker on it that it is valid only for photo ID and needs the additinal piece of paper they give you when you renew your license. So it IS a valid drivers license. I have boarded about 5 Canadian flight with it like this. The GA in calgary says it’s expired and says she can’t board me with it, and adds something cryptic about it’s an Ontario and we’re in Alberta. I argued briefly with her even pulling out the additional paper but she insists I can’t use it. Luckily I have Nexus, but the average passenger without a passport or Nexus would be screwed. I told her I didn’t believe her and she just smiles sardonically at me and says ‘sure’ so now I really want to know who is right . Thinking of contacting AC on this. I can drive with this but can’t fly with it, so if she’s right, it’s bizarre.
Sounds like you got the same GA as I did at YYC.

You do know, she works at the airport, right? Which clearly means you're wrong.

I was about to be denied boarding and until the last moment I showed her my Nexus card (I forgot I had it on me until my brain kicked into desperation thinking mode).

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
I have no idea what an 'Extended Ontario Driver License' looks like, but based on what you wrote, if the document is expired, then it is no longer considered valid for air travel under the Transport Canada Secure Air Travel Act.

Last edited by YYC009; Nov 25, 2018 at 8:52 am
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Well, it seems there is fine print

https://www.ontario.ca/page/enhanced-drivers-licence

Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Ignore. Please delete. Was thinking extended, not enhanced.

Ok, what I typed initially was correct.

When one renews a DL in Ontario, your existing DL gets a sticker saying only valid with the Extension slip or something to that effect while you wait for your new DL in the mail. You need both your expired DL with the sticker and this piece of paper with an extended expiry date to drive and to be deemed valid.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is, the "extended Ontario DL" is probably the same loose piece of paper that in Alberta is called a "temporary" DL?

Which is OK for driving. But it's not a photo ID, and whether it's an OK ID to fly with, even if with an expired licence is at the very least debatable.

The agent may be right. Or not. Until a clear policy emerges from somewhere...
KDS777 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:43 am

That is an 'Enhanced Drivers Licence'. The OP says he has an Extended Drivers Licence.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YYC009
That is an 'Enhanced Drivers Licence'. The OP says he has an Extended Drivers Licence.
No result in Google for "Extended"

Originally Posted by Stranger
My guess is, the "extended Ontario DL" is probably the same loose piece of paper that in Alberta is called a "temporary" DL?

Which is OK for driving. But it's not a photo ID, and whether it's an OK ID to fly with, even if with an expired licence is at the very least debatable.

The agent may be right. Or not. Until a clear policy emerges from somewhere...
See my post above with screen shots
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left

But as pointed out, that's not "extended." Which indeed seems to the (more or less) equivalent of the AB loose paper. Which falls in a grey zone.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No guys - what I said.

When you have an expired DL, for example, you get a sticker on it saying only valid with the paper slip. It's really not called an Extended, but rather simply a "Temporary Driver's License"
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by 24left

Then it is simple, and I repeat: if the document is expired, then it is no longer considered valid for air travel.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
No guys - what I said.

When you have an expired DL, for example, you get a sticker on it saying only valid with the paper slip. It's really not called an Extended, but rather simply a "Temporary Driver's License"
The second paper slip allows it to be valid drivers licence, not valid government issued identification for air travel, which as I pointed out, must not be expired.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYC009
The second paper slip allows it to be valid drivers licence, not valid government issued identification for air travel, which as I pointed out, must not be expired.
I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm simply saying what the OP is trying to explain with "Extended".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.