Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Couldn’t use ‘Extended’ Drivers License to Board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couldn’t use ‘Extended’ Drivers License to Board

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by smallmj
Here in Nova Scotia they take your picture and give you a new drivers license a few minutes later. No temporary garbage.

Reading this, I'm amazed to find that my little province actually does something right.
They used to, but not any more. Now they are mailed out. When you renew, you receive a temporary document valid for 30 days. I'm not sure what that looks like, but it probably doesn't have a photo.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YYC009
APEC is not a government authority. The Act requires a government authority to be the issuer of the valid ID. See copy of Act above.
Originally Posted by eigenvector

The card isn't issued by APEC, that's just what it's called. It's issued by the US government.
Correct.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is the universe. U.S. Customs and Border Protection is part of it. The TTPs are: Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST.

The APEC card is issued by the same department with the same photo but it's just branded APEC Business Travel Card for specific countries/regions.

Maybe when AC and other airlines get around to facial recognition, these cards, fishing, firearm and driver's licences, might not be the things that connect you to your ability to board a plane. Who knows....but I've seen gates at airports overseas where there have it ready or are testing it.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by karlpenney
They used to, but not any more. Now they are mailed out. When you renew, you receive a temporary document valid for 30 days. I'm not sure what that looks like, but it probably doesn't have a photo.
Outsourced printing to some outfit in Ontario.

Of all the stupid crap the various economic development funds, er, fund, I can't believe that no one locally could have put together a bid where Service Nova Scotia would have paid them per-unit, and between ACOA, Innovacorp, NSBI they couldn't have gotten the government to also buy the equipment and have some walking around money.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PB53x11
And I have boarded a couple of dozen flights with the extended version, showing only the photo card. Only one gate agent has challenged me on that, and after much studying of the accompanying temporary license, allowed me to board.
I also have had no problems doing this except for the one time at YYC.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Is there a reason you're showing an uncommon card when you're in possession of a common one?

Reminds me of entering a DL SC with a friend recently. His Virgin Australia status entitles to access. I got in with my AMEX, and had to wait 5 minutes for them to process him. He has an AMEX Plat. He just preferred to use his "fancy status". It made me wait (I guess I could have gone to the bar), it made him wait, and it made the agent do a bunch of extra work.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I fly out of YYC a lot and lately they have been picky on expiry date?
I have used my Military service card and that has no expiry date as it simply has my picture and proof that i served my country. I usually use my Alberta Driver license, sometimes Nexus, sometimes my passport...both of them. I like to use my library card or gym membership and see what happens. mind you, one look at me if i use my gym membership and then wont believe me!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I fly out of YYC a lot and lately they have been picky on expiry date?
YYC and YEG are the two times in recent memory that I've observed someone turned away based on expiry dates on their licenses.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Valid does not mean an expired government issued photo ID is not acceptable. The purpose of such ID is to match the passenger with a photo ID and government validation that this is indeed the person so named on the ticket. Date validity, or expiration, should only apply for a passport or Nexus/Trusted Traveler card being used to cross the Canada/US/Meican borders. This agent was totally wrong in her interpretation of “valid”. One might question using a 30-year old expired drivers license if you’ve physically changed. Th3 word valid applies to the issuing agency being an acceptable government agency authorized to issue photo ID. Valid has nothing to do with being active or expired.

Of course, except when flying out of the country, US airlines no longer check ID at the gate. It’s pretty much assumed, and logical, that if you’ve gotten through security you are who you and your ticket/boarding pass says you are.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
except when flying out of the country, US airlines no longer check ID at the gate.
I don't seem to recall that they ever did, actually.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:03 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Stranger
I don't seem to recall that they ever did, actually.
Shortly after flights resumed after 9/11, they sure did on some of my internal US flights.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Valid does not mean an expired government issued photo ID is not acceptable. The purpose of such ID is to match the passenger with a photo ID and government validation that this is indeed the person so named on the ticket. Date validity, or expiration, should only apply for a passport or Nexus/Trusted Traveler card being used to cross the Canada/US/Meican borders. This agent was totally wrong in her interpretation of “valid”. One might question using a 30-year old expired drivers license if you’ve physically changed. Th3 word valid applies to the issuing agency being an acceptable government agency authorized to issue photo ID. Valid has nothing to do with being active or expired.

Of course, except when flying out of the country, US airlines no longer check ID at the gate. It’s pretty much assumed, and logical, that if you’ve gotten through security you are who you and your ticket/boarding pass says you are.
I've been denied entry into BARS because my ID was expired. I assume flying has a higher standard.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've been denied entry into BARS because my ID was expired. I assume flying has a higher standard.
I've been spending too much time on FT. I had to pause to figure out whether BARS was an airport or country.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Any updates to this for AC? My mom who’s travelling with me managed to board the flight to Vancouver and was only when we connected in Calgary it was noted her ID was expired. Was able to renew online so I have the renewal document indicating the ID as “valid”… should I courier her passport up?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by WannabeSE
Any updates to this for AC? My mom who’s travelling with me managed to board the flight to Vancouver and was only when we connected in Calgary it was noted her ID was expired. Was able to renew online so I have the renewal document indicating the ID as “valid”… should I courier her passport up?
I'd certainly recommend it.

It doesn't matter if you're right if the agent thinks you're wrong.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It doesn't matter if you're right if the agent thinks you're wrong.
That's because they work at the airport.
Symmetre and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.