Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Since this format seems to work well on other forums, for each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (AQM):
Segments Needed (AQS):
Dollars Needed (AQD):
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (CHOOSE ONE, AND STATE THE VALUE):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:

• For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both AQD AND AQM or AQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second AQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.
Useful reference thread for AQM and AQD calculations:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1744575-new-improved-calculator-aqm-aeroplan-miles-aqd.html
Print Wikipost

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:23 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
YYZ-LIM in J

Originally Posted by flytheheat_71
Departure Airport: YYZ
Miles Needed: 8600
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Would prefer to spend less than CAD 1600
Available Travel Dates: Dec 1-2 or 7-8 - in and out ideal but okay to stay overnight as well.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares mostly okay - I need $400 AQD so ideally an expensive leg/half the trip touches AC metal. At $8,600 AQD for the year so far.
Route(s) You've Already Searched: UA to PTY this weekend, UA to LIH/HNL via ORD and SFO in J ... having trouble finding AC legs to get that last $400
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?: Yes - was in PVG last week and PEK three weeks ago

I'll do Y if I have to ... but would prefer to take advantage of cheap J on UA if I can fit in an AC segment
Thanks for your help in advance!!
This seems to yield 11,952 miles total in J and maybe hits your $400 AQD on the AC metal

Not sure about the AQD, but the fare construction follows:

YTO AC X/EWR Q255.35 UA LIM 277.79PLA0R9EN UA X/EWR Q255.35 AC YTO 277.79PLA0R9EN NUC 1066.28 END ROE 1.292306 XT 25.91CA 3.25RC 25.00SQ 15.40YC 18.60XY 10.60XA 14.80AY 19.90DY 40.80HW 6.00XF EWR4.50
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
This seems to yield 11,952 miles total in J and maybe hits your $400 AQD on the AC metal

Not sure about the AQD, but the fare construction follows:

YTO AC X/EWR Q255.35 UA LIM 277.79PLA0R9EN UA X/EWR Q255.35 AC YTO 277.79PLA0R9EN NUC 1066.28 END ROE 1.292306 XT 25.91CA 3.25RC 25.00SQ 15.40YC 18.60XY 10.60XA 14.80AY 19.90DY 40.80HW 6.00XF EWR4.50
This is a good one. What did you do to figure this out?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
This is a good one. What did you do to figure this out?
It's tough to admit, but I've been dating other forums...

Specifically the UA/*A MR forum and some of the other MR forums.

It varies by season, but there's places like LIM, BQN and TPE that keep generating some good fares for J MRs, especially out of YYZ, YYC and YVR. I often start with those cities and then kinda riff from there.
ffsim likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Nov 29, 2018 at 4:39 pm
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
It's tough to admit, but I've been dating other forums...

Specifically the UA/*A MR forum and some of the other MR forums.

It varies by season, but there's places like LIM, BQN and TPE that keep getting generating some good fares for J MRs, especially out of YYZ, YYC and YVR.
Good to know. I asked because this is good information to add to the wiki.
I guess I'll be taking a peek at those forums.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I guess I'll be taking a peek at those forums.
Yeah, do it. There's often some great runs outta YVR.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, do it. There's often some great runs outta YVR.
Well, I meant it is a good place to get better knowledge in order to populate this wiki and help AC/AP forum members.
Believe it or not, the FAQ Sticky 101 does not have an official AC MR thread. There never has been one.
The closest thing is that funny thread by @zorn about being X miles close to a level and if AC will gift status.
Then there is the KH thread, but that doesn't count since it was all sarcasm and is locked anyway.
Dasher12 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Looking for some good options to do a nice segment run. Thinking east coast might be a good option but willing to move around. Also have a ton of eups left so would like to maximize those if possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Departure Airport: YYZ or YTZ
Segments Needed: 12
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Would prefer to spend less than CAD 1000
Available Travel Dates: Dec 27-28
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares mostly okay but prefer AC for eupgrades
Route(s) You've Already Searched: AC out of YTZ going east and back
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?: No
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:38 pm

Departure Airport: SEA
Miles Needed (AQM):
Segments Needed (AQS):n/a
Dollars Needed (AQD):n/a
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): cheap as possible - under 1k
Available Travel Dates:any time other than dec 4/5

Route(s) You've Already Searched: SEA to Calgary or Winnipeg
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gobuds
Departure Airport: SEA
Miles Needed (AQM):
Segments Needed (AQS):n/a
Dollars Needed (AQD):n/a
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): cheap as possible - under 1k
Available Travel Dates:any time other than dec 4/5

Route(s) You've Already Searched: SEA to Calgary or Winnipeg
Don't know the exact AQM you'll get for this, but it's paid J to Florida, so should be more than fine.

It's slightly over 1k CAD, but 780 USD. It's a little more challenging to look for Y routes because the specific fare class can drastically affect earnings.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=S...000*.USD.78000
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: air canada
Miles Needed (AQM): 28,464 to 100k. 3,464 to 75k. Am Current E50k
Segments Needed (AQS): have 54 segments (don't think this is way to make either tier)
Dollars Needed (AQD): 0. Am over $20k spend
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Want to fly J-class for comfort and 150% AQM. Budget is not too constrained
Available Travel Dates: Friday, December 14 - Sunday, December 16th would be ideal
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Not sure. This is my first post.

Route(s) You've Already Searched: YYZ --> HKG --> YYZ. I believe that this yields about 23.x AQM in J-class but am hoping someone here can confirm

A few notes:
* This is my first post
* Is SE that much better than E75k. My business travel is 2-3x/month within Canada and to Seattle
* Any way to knock out the 28.5k shortage in a single itinerary? I can't see to find a flight but I also don't understand whether or not I need to be on Air Canada flights (vs. Star Alliance)
* I don't have a China Visa (am US Citizen)
Thoughts and guidance are appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by Upright; Dec 1, 2018 at 8:31 am Reason: adding info
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Upright
Segments Needed (AQS): have 54 segments (don't think this is way to make either tier)
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Want to fly J-class for comfort and 150% AQM. Budget is not too constrained
Available Travel Dates: Friday, December 14 - Sunday, December 16th would be ideal

Route(s) You've Already Searched: YYZ --> HKG --> YYZ. I believe that this yields about 23.x AQM in J-class but am hoping someone here can confirm

A few notes:
* This is my first post
* Is SE that much better than E75k. My business travel is 2-3x/month within Canada and to Seattle
* Any way to knock out the 28.5k shortage in a single itinerary? I can't see to find a flight but I also don't understand whether or not I need to be on Air Canada flights (vs. Star Alliance)
Welcome to FT! Since you have the AQD, any *A flight that gives you AQM will meet your needs. Make sure it is in a fare class that earns the % you expect.
Having been E75K vs E50K, I would say there is not much difference between these (some but not earth shattering), but SE would be a whole other level. If you plan any award redemptions in the next year, it would be particularly valuable to have the SE perks. If you don't, but plan to do so in 2020, you might settle for the E75K and start working from the start of 2019 to spread the AQM accumulation over the year to avoid a big MR at the end, perhaps up-faring flights or substituting PY for Y or J for PY throughout the year. My 2c. Others will have more experienced observations.
For AQM search, have you seen the thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...miles-aqd.html ?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:24 am

A few notes:
* This is my first post
Regarding your proposed YYZ-HKG-YYZ flight (non-stop on AC or most other *A), this will yield 23,374 AQM in J.

There maybe better deals out there though (possibly BKK for instance) if you want to save a few bucks. But time is a wastin' before the end of the year.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

A few notes:
* This is my first post
@Upright

Welcome to FT.

If money is not an issue, spend to become SE. Air Canada will like the money, and you will like being SE more than not being SE.

For those reading my reply, I am not suggesting it is the answer for everyone, but Upright pointed out that spending the money to achieve the next level of status was not really an issue ("Budget not to constrained")

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Welcome to FT! Since you have the AQD, any *A flight that gives you AQM will meet your needs. Make sure it is in a fare class that earns the % you expect.
Having been E75K vs E50K, I would say there is not much difference between these (some but not earth shattering), but SE would be a whole other level. If you plan any award redemptions in the next year, it would be particularly valuable to have the SE perks. If you don't, but plan to do so in 2020, you might settle for the E75K and start working from the start of 2019 to spread the AQM accumulation over the year to avoid a big MR at the end, perhaps up-faring flights or substituting PY for Y or J for PY throughout the year. My 2c. Others will have more experienced observations.
For AQM search, have you seen the thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...miles-aqd.html ?
Agree with @flyquiet

Regarding your proposed YYZ-HKG-YYZ flight (non-stop on AC or most other *A), this will yield 23,374 AQM in J.......

AC gives this for AC 15 YYZ-HKG for base miles one-way, assuming 100% earnings, before COS is added, if any

.....There maybe better deals out there though (possibly BKK for instance) if you want to save a few bucks. But time is a wastin' before the end of the year.
Indeed.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: air canada
Thanks @flyquiet, @Bohemian1 and @24left for the welcome and the insight. For sure, I'd wished I was paying more attention to gathering AQM earlier in 2018. In the last 60 days I discovered that my employer allows me to book Comfort fare with our policy, which is now giving me 115% AQM. While I'm nearly certain to take a YYZ to YVR MR for E75k status, I'm still intrigued by the idea of going all in for SE. I see there's a YYZ to SIN (via HKG) with the HKG to SIN leg in Singapore Air. If I book the entire itinerary in J-class with AC, what AQM % do I get on Singapore Air?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Thanks @flyquiet, @Bohemian1 and @24left for the welcome and the insight. For sure, I'd wished I was paying more attention to gathering AQM earlier in 2018. In the last 60 days I discovered that my employer allows me to book Comfort fare with our policy, which is now giving me 115% AQM. While I'm nearly certain to take a YYZ to YVR MR for E75k status, I'm still intrigued by the idea of going all in for SE. I see there's a YYZ to SIN (via HKG) with the HKG to SIN leg in Singapore Air. If I book the entire itinerary in J-class with AC, what AQM % do I get on Singapore Air?

@Upright

Well yes, this time of the year seems to cause many people to think about MRs and higher status or just making status...... and starting threads . .....which is why I and others here thought this single thread would be more helpful.

I would be careful when looking at routes that include AC and some *A partners, as the connecting flight may NOT always be in J. It's a huge pain and if it's an AC ticket in J on SQ or BR or others, the fare is incredibly high. You might find, for e.g., YYZ-HKG-SIN where the connecting flight is on CX and may cost $5,500 or so, but if you select AC-SQ, and SQ sectors are in J, the cost will be well over $7,000. If SQ is in Y, then $5,000+

Part of this is the lack of "friendship" between *A partners and moreso since AC signed codeshare agreements with CX to offer AC pax connections to BKK (which I've done) and other destinations.

Currently (based on some things I've seen), AC's *A "BFF" ins Asia seems to be OZ. And of course, AC has the new JV with CA but that's another conversation entirely.

As for what you get on Aeroplan from flying SQ, you have to look on Aeroplan at the SQ partner earning chart.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.