Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Since this format seems to work well on other forums, for each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (AQM):
Segments Needed (AQS):
Dollars Needed (AQD):
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (CHOOSE ONE, AND STATE THE VALUE):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:

• For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both AQD AND AQM or AQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second AQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.
Useful reference thread for AQM and AQD calculations:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1744575-new-improved-calculator-aqm-aeroplan-miles-aqd.html
Print Wikipost

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
https://www.google.com/flights?gl=ca...78*.USD.346739

YYZ-VIE-BKK-FRA-YYZ on OS and LH, Z class (so 150%).

It comes in a few hundred miles above what you need based on gcmap, so make sure you confirm exactly what you need and exactly what this will credit to Aeroplan.

$4611.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: air canada
@canadiancow - thanks! What is "gcmap" that you used to calc the mileage?

I found this route YYZ - HKG - SIN for about $7k CAD, which is in the range but can't figure out the AQM

Toronto to Singapore
Total Duration
Friday, December 14th, 2018
20hr45m
10:00 Toronto (YYZ) to 14:45 Hong Kong (HKG) - 15hr45m
Operated by Air Canada
AC 015 Operated by Air Canada
Meal , Breakfast Wi-Fi
Cabin type (P)
Air Canada Signature Class with lie-flat seats

+ 1hrs layover + arriving next day
Saturday, December 15th, 2018
15:45 Hong Kong (HKG) to 19:45 Singapore (SIN) - 4hrs
Operated by Singapore Airlines
SQ 861 Operated by Singapore Airlines
Meal
Cabin type (S)
Return:
Singapore to Toronto
Total Duration
Sunday, December 16th, 2018
21hr25m
09:55 Singapore (SIN) to 13:55 Hong Kong (HKG) - 4hrs
SQ 856 Operated by Singapore Airlines
Meal
Cabin type (S)

+ 2hr35m layover
16:30 Hong Kong (HKG) to 18:20 Toronto (YYZ) - 14hr50m
Operated by Air Canada
AC 016 Operated by Air Canada
Meal , Breakfast Wi-Fi
Cabin type (Z)
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:11 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Upright
Great Circle Mapper
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Great Circle Mapper

I found this route YYZ - HKG - SIN for about $7k CAD, which is in the range but can't figure out the AQM

Toronto to Singapore
Total Duration
Friday, December 14th, 2018
20hr45m
10:00 Toronto (YYZ) to 14:45 Hong Kong (HKG) - 15hr45m
Operated by Air Canada
AC 015 Operated by Air Canada
Meal , Breakfast Wi-Fi
Cabin type (P)

+ 1hrs layover + arriving next day
Saturday, December 15th, 2018
15:45 Hong Kong (HKG) to 19:45 Singapore (SIN) - 4hrs
SQ 861 Operated by Singapore Airlines
Meal
Cabin type (S)
Return:
Singapore to Toronto
Total Duration
Sunday, December 16th, 2018
21hr25m
09:55 Singapore (SIN) to 13:55 Hong Kong (HKG) - 4hrs
SQ 856 Operated by Singapore Airlines
Meal
Cabin type (S)

+ 2hr35m layover
16:30 Hong Kong (HKG) to 18:20 Toronto (YYZ) - 14hr50m
Operated by Air Canada
AC 016 Operated by Air Canada
Meal , Breakfast Wi-Fi
Cabin type (Z)
S, I believe, is Premium Economy on SQ, so your HKG-SIN and back wouldn't be in business, and would only earn 100%. And that's more expensive than my option

If you really want to maximize your AC metal, you could try calling in for that SIN fare, and telling them you want the whole thing in business. But then you need to know how the fares work, and what the availability is, which may require an EF subscription.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
delete
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Golf Canada Top 3%
Excuse me if I'm a bit off topic here but I must be stupid with regards to mileage/segment runs for less...

My current situation is as follows:
AQM - 24884
AQS - 55
AQD - $7334

I have read many posts that indicate I can get segments/miles from flying partner airlines for less money than flying AC metal but I cant seem to figure out how this can be done. For example, over the summer, I flew from YYC-YVR-HKG on AC. Then I jumped on THAI airways over to BKK and back to HKG. A few days later, I flew on Singapore Airlines from HKG to SIN and back. I did not see miles or segments credited to my account for these 4 segments I did while in asia. I had my aeroplan number on each of these tickets yet nothing showed up.

I usually buy the standard fare on AC and when I was in Asia, I bought the least expensive ticket I could find.

Did I do something wrong such as pay too little to receive any M/S for those flights?

I have another 10 segments in the next 2 weeks so that will get me to 65. How can I fly with another partner airline so I can get to 75 segments at a lower cost than what AC would normally charge me? I might need a few more dollars with AC but I can make that up during the same segment run as well...I just dont want to do YYC-YEG-YYC-YEG-YYC-YEG-YYC over and over again as I would like a change in scenery.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:37 pm

To earn AQM on partners, you must travel in an AQM-earning booking class.
You can see the percentage earning on the Aeroplan site.
Click the airline, https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...r=StarAlliance
then the tab "Eligible Flights". If a code is not listed, it is 0% earning. The cheapest flights may not earn AQM and I think that means no AQS also.
If the flight was eligible but not posted, you need to submit a missing miles form on Aeroplan.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Golf Canada Top 3%
When booking on United, for example, how do I know the economy fare I picked on their website is class S,T,L,K or G so that I can earn 50% miles and assume its still one segment like AC?

https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...Partner=United
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:36 pm

In my experience, it is easy to see on the United website what class it is. If I fly UA, I book on their site and have never been surprised.
Tons easier than AC site even for their own flights, let alone the cryptic code shares. I don't pay attention to segments, but I think it is only whole segments, not fractions.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I would not pay attention to the PQM/PQS that UA reports if one is looking to collect AQM/AQS (and also spendable aeropesos). Refer to the Aeroplan chart (previously linked).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: AC E50K :: SPG Platinum :: NEXUS

Looking to renew 50K for 2019

Departure Airport: YVR
Miles Needed (AQM): N/A
Segments Needed (AQS): Satisfied (47)
Dollars Needed (AQD): $24.76
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates: Flexible before Dec 31st
Route(s) You've Already Searched:YVR-YYJ

My question is what would Air Canada typically do in this situation, being that I'm only $24 short of my AQD requirement.
Customer Relations is asking me to email their Status Review email after January 1st, but if they say no to giving me an exception, then it's too late.
Return flights to Victoria in December are relatively cheap but still $300 return all in.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Gone_Koastal

My question is what would Air Canada typically do in this situation, being that I'm only $24 short of my AQD requirement.
Customer Relations is asking me to email their Status Review email after January 1st, but if they say no to giving me an exception, then it's too late.
Return flights to Victoria in December are relatively cheap but still $300 return all in.
My advice is to not risk it and just do whatever it is you need to do to get the $24 AQD in there.

Anecdotally, people have reported being flat out denied a comp up, have been offered to buy up (which typically costs more than if they had just done an MR), have been given a comp up, etc.

$300 all-in under which fare category/class/basis?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: AC*SE 100K

Looking to renew 50K for 2019

Departure Airport: YVR
Miles Needed (AQM): N/A
Segments Needed (AQS): Satisfied (47)
Dollars Needed (AQD): $24.76
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates: Flexible before Dec 31st
Route(s) You've Already Searched:YVR-YYJ

If cost is a real worry, hop to YYJ and then walk-on-ferry back.

It's a risk to wait to see what they'll say in the New Year. I'd just go for it.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: AC E50K :: SPG Platinum :: NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
My advice is to not risk it and just do whatever it is you need to do to get the $24 AQD in there.

Anecdotally, people have reported being flat out denied a comp up, have been offered to buy up (which typically costs more than if they had just done an MR), have been given a comp up, etc.

$300 all-in under which fare category/class/basis?
Basic Economy.

$114 each way / same day on Xmas Day for example, but I'm morw likely looking at $140 each way options since I won't be too popular with the family if I go on a segment hop on Xmas day.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Basic Economy.

$114 each way / same day on Xmas Day for example, but I'm morw likely looking at $140 each way options since I won't be too popular with the family if I go on a segment hop on Xmas day.
Ok. Someone else can correct me here, but IIRC, domestic Basic does not give any AQM, and therefore does not give any AQD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.