Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Since this format seems to work well on other forums, for each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (AQM):
Segments Needed (AQS):
Dollars Needed (AQD):
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (CHOOSE ONE, AND STATE THE VALUE):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:

• For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both AQD AND AQM or AQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second AQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.
Useful reference thread for AQM and AQD calculations:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1744575-new-improved-calculator-aqm-aeroplan-miles-aqd.html
Print Wikipost

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
I need 75,297 miles and then I will never need miles again. I guess one more year.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The PP lounge was horrendously overcrowded with a long wait list when I was there earlier this year. I talked to someone who visits frequently and he said it was pretty frequently like that, especially in the afternoons, although perhaps if the MR is soon, you'll avoid the peak time.

To each his own, but have you given much thought to what you value from the Altitude program? I think a lot of us would tell you $1,700 is a small price to pay. Consider:
  • How many Aeroplan miles do you have? Have trouble redeeming them, especially for J? It's much easier with SE IKK.
  • YQ waiver on international reward tickets: depending on your redemption patterns, this could easily be worth $1,700 in real dollars. Or make your reward travel much more convenient by letting you avoid the hassle of finding convoluted YQ-free routes.
  • Do you use your eUps? Much easier to do so as SE due to the longer window.
  • The concierge service can be tremendously valuable, especially if you frequently travel to places prone to IRROPs. LGA concierge access has bailed me out at LGA a number of times, preventing me from getting stuck in NYC or YYZ and allowing me to get back to YYC. BRU concierge saved me and my wife from likely missing our flight due to ridiculous immigration line a couple months back.

Perhaps you've already thought about these things and it's still not worth $1,700 to you, and that's fine. But if you haven't, take some time to analyze it before writing it off.

Also, don't think that $1,700 is necessarily the best you can do. That was for an itinerary in J, which is definitely more comfortable, and can also save a bit of time thanks to CoS bonus. But if you're willing to fly in Y, it may be possible to cut the price further. Also, I certainly didn't do an exhaustive search of all dates. If you're truly flexible for both November and December, there are a ton of permutations that could be searched, and you get what you pay for when you ask for free advice

If you narrow it down a bit more on your dates, flying Y vs J, etc, I'm sure people might give you some more ideas, but to some extent, what we're doing here is offering guidance to help you narrow your own search. TPE tends to be cheap and upgraded fairly easily on AC. Northern South America is often decent bang for the buck in J. And so on. But "cheapest possible, anywhere, any time during 2 months", that's asking a lot.
Many thanks for the detailed information - I missed this post previously. Regarding the points for consideration - I totally agree - SE status has been exceptionally valuable to me in the last few years. My dilemma for next year is that my anticipated flying will be very limited (this may change) and hence the reluctance to spend $1,700 or $2,000 on an MR to get a set of benefits that I may not use. If anticipated flying was same as last few years, then it would be a "no-brainer" to spend the money.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I'd like to do 6 AC segments within Canada in one day. Thanks in advance !

Departure Airport: YUL (preferred), YOW or YQB
Segments Needed (AQS): 6
Maximum Budget: $400
Available Travel Dates: November 9th or 10th
Required Metal: AC

EDIT: made my request more specific: November 9 or 10 and within Canada only.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Oct 24, 2019 at 2:13 pm
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I'd like to do 6 AC segments in one day. Thanks in advance !

Departure Airport: YUL (preferred), YOW or YQB
Maximum Budget: $400
Available Travel Dates: weekends
Required Metal: AC
I think that will be hard in one day, but easy with an overnight. About 90 seconds of searching found YUL-YOW-YYZ-BOS and return for $328 all in in Standard K on Nov 23rd and 24th. Let Google flights multi-city be your friend, and then use the link to force the booking with AC.

Sorry, can't screenshot from my crappy work computer, but trust me, it didn't take much work to find this one.

MasterGeek and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Let me run something by the mileage run gurus.

Booking YYZ-TPE in PY and given the below route

YYZ-YYJ (D)
YYJ-YVR (B)
YVR-TPE (N)
TPE-YVR (N)
YVR-YYZ (N)

Will I accumulate 150% AQM for the YYZ-YYJ segment in Business (D)
or
Will I accumulate 125% for all segments as that is the booking class that I requested?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:48 pm

You will receive 150% AQM for YYZ-YYJ . It is booked in "D" because it is operated by Rouge.
YVRtoYYZ likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:43 pm

Departure Airport: YYJ
Miles Needed (AQM): None - Segment run
Dollars Needed (AQD): $700
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Under 1k if possible
Available Travel Dates: Dec 7-10th - could stretch it later if needed
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: AC
Route(s) You've Already Searched: My normal route is from YYJ to YVR then YEG, I was just going to do that a few more times but I'm sure there's a more cost and time efficient way.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Rakal
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Under 1k if possible
Route(s) You've Already Searched: My normal route is from YYJ to YVR then YEG, I was just going to do that a few more times but I'm sure there's a more cost and time efficient way.
YYJ to YMM by YYJ-YVR-YYC-YEG-YMM and back in reverse.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Rakal
Plenty of options for a single day MR that will get you 6 segs. The AC.com multi-city search is your friend. Usually able to find routings to YEG/YYC thru YLW.

For example, multi-city search YYJ-YEG, YEG-YLW, and YLW-YVR on Dec 9th gives you 6 segs:
YYJ-YVR-YEG, YEG-YVR-YLW, YLW-YVR-YYJ in Standard for $659 ($569 base fare). I'm sure you can get that up to $700 base if you booked in Flex instead. ^
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Plenty of options for a single day MR that will get you 6 segs. The AC.com multi-city search is your friend. Usually able to find routings to YEG/YYC thru YLW.

For example, multi-city search YYJ-YEG, YEG-YLW, and YLW-YVR on Dec 9th gives you 6 segs:
YYJ-YVR-YEG, YEG-YVR-YLW, YLW-YVR-YYJ in Standard for $659 ($569 base fare). I'm sure you can get that up to $700 base if you booked in Flex instead. ^
Thanks! I'll give it a look!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I took advantage of AC's 20% off sale yesterday and snagged 2 x YYZ-OGG flights. Accumulates over 21K AQM and after creatively using a bunch of eCoupons, was out-of-pocket $185. Flights operated by Mainline and Rouge - not Omni - and lots of R-space available.
unclepants, canadiancow and monkai like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Altitude
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I took advantage of AC's 20% off sale yesterday and snagged 2 x YYZ-OGG flights. Accumulates over 21K AQM and after creatively using a bunch of eCoupons, was out-of-pocket $185. Flights operated by Mainline and Rouge - not Omni - and lots of R-space available.
Wow! Where do you find the coupons?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Hollah
Wow! Where do you find the coupons?
Many ways... many here get it through On Board Compensation from defective J seats and the such.
unclepants likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:34 am

Question 6 Legs to 35k - Is it worth doing?

Departure Airport: YYZ
Miles Needed (AQM): Not Important
Segments Needed (AQS): 6 Legs
Dollars Needed (AQD): $8.6k (current balance) - Already Qualified for 35k
Maximum Budget: $500
Available Travel Dates: Open

I currently have E50k status. But I didn’t do much flying this year.

Suggestions for a "quick" and cheap 6 segment trip for one day?

Or, is it even worth doing a mileage run (for 6 legs) to get to E35k for next year? Or, should I just get the Amex AeroplanPlus card for $499?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Westwood818; Nov 1, 2019 at 10:21 pm
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Westwood818
I currently have 50k status. But I didn’t do much flying this year. I only fly within Canada for work.

Is it worth doing a mileage run (for 6 legs) to get to 35k for next year? Or, should I just get the Amex AeroplanPlus card for $499?
Take a close look at the benefits of 25K and 35K and figure out what those are worth to you in the context of your expected travels next year. I would expect it to be hard to justify spending $500, especially if you won't be flying much again next year.

If the Amex AeroPlat gets you the benefits you need, that's probably the best route, because the 50K Aeroplan sign-up bonus probably mostly justifies the fee on its own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.