Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Since this format seems to work well on other forums, for each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (AQM):
Segments Needed (AQS):
Dollars Needed (AQD):
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (CHOOSE ONE, AND STATE THE VALUE):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:

• For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both AQD AND AQM or AQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second AQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.
Useful reference thread for AQM and AQD calculations:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1744575-new-improved-calculator-aqm-aeroplan-miles-aqd.html
Print Wikipost

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Altitude
Originally Posted by 24left
My list of activities have included:

* Visit the city, go to the beach, visit a museum...
* Wait at the gate for the return flight
* Go to a lounge
* Buy some local chocolates
* Sleep, shower
* Have some champagne
* Fly somewhere else

I'm sure I left out something
Looks like there isn't a star alliance lounge in cancun from what I can see
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:15 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Hollah
Um, as 24left said how about the beach?

The iten linked by canadiancow had plenty of time for that.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Oct 22, 2019 at 2:33 pm Reason: Unmentionable?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Um, as @24left said how about the beach?

The iten linked by canadiancow had plenty of time for that.
Fair, I'm a pasty Irish-Canadian that burns and gets heatstroke every time I go to Mexico haha, Would have to be super careful!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@Hollah

If that's the only item you focused on, you really need to let your imagination explore the possibilities.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There was a PP lounge convenient for UA gates last time I was there, but you can turn this into a weekend trip if you want and actually make a vacation out of it.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
@Hollah

If that's the only item you focused on, you really need to let your imagination explore the possibilities.
I am definitely looking at this as just getting it over with as cheap and easy as possible this time unfortunately, I am moving soon and am buying my first home so I have a lot of stress (and work trips that I've accounted mileage for) before the end of the year! Hopefully if I am short next year I can plan some fun around it!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if I could justify $1,700 for difference between E75 and SE. Will keep looking!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jethro288
Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if I could justify $1,700 for difference between E75 and SE. Will keep looking!
It's your money and my opinion, so take it with a big ol' rock of salt, but I would say it is justified.

Having said that, I have no idea what you would expect your travel for next year to be.

I qualified for the first time last fall and the difference, for me, is enormous. So much so that this year I am going to do a huge MR just so I can have a banked year of SE.
24left and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:08 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Corrected typos

Originally Posted by canadiancow
There was a PP lounge convenient for UA gates last time I was there, but you can turn this into a weekend trip if you want and actually make a vacation out of it.
The PP lounge was horrendously overcrowded with a long wait list when I was there earlier this year. I talked to someone who visits frequently and he said it was pretty frequently like that, especially in the afternoons, although perhaps if the MR is soon, you'll avoid the peak time.

To each his own, but have you given much thought to what you value from the Altitude program? I think a lot of us would tell you $1,700 is a small price to pay. Consider:
  • How many Aeroplan miles do you have? Have trouble redeeming them, especially for J? It's much easier with SE IKK.
  • YQ waiver on international reward tickets: depending on your redemption patterns, this could easily be worth $1,700 in real dollars. Or make your reward travel much more convenient by letting you avoid the hassle of finding convoluted YQ-free routes.
  • Do you use your eUps? Much easier to do so as SE due to the longer window.
  • The concierge service can be tremendously valuable, especially if you frequently travel to places prone to IRROPs. LGA concierge access has bailed me out at LGA a number of times, preventing me from getting stuck in NYC or YYZ and allowing me to get back to YYC. BRU concierge saved me and my wife from likely missing our flight due to ridiculous immigration line a couple months back.

Perhaps you've already thought about these things and it's still not worth $1,700 to you, and that's fine. But if you haven't, take some time to analyze it before writing it off.

Also, don't think that $1,700 is necessarily the best you can do. That was for an itinerary in J, which is definitely more comfortable, and can also save a bit of time thanks to CoS bonus. But if you're willing to fly in Y, it may be possible to cut the price further. Also, I certainly didn't do an exhaustive search of all dates. If you're truly flexible for both November and December, there are a ton of permutations that could be searched, and you get what you pay for when you ask for free advice

If you narrow it down a bit more on your dates, flying Y vs J, etc, I'm sure people might give you some more ideas, but to some extent, what we're doing here is offering guidance to help you narrow your own search. TPE tends to be cheap and upgraded fairly easily on AC. Northern South America is often decent bang for the buck in J. And so on. But "cheapest possible, anywhere, any time during 2 months", that's asking a lot.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 23, 2019 at 7:49 am
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Since I only usually travel for work just curious, what do people usually do during the layover times?
I usually eat muffins. Sometimes McMuffins if I'm feeling YOLO.

All seriousness aside, if it is literally a true non-functional MR, then I'll just pick one thing to do in the city and do that, and then go back to the airport with just enough time to spare.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@jethro288

Then give us a number, because your initial post did not provide one.
If you have subjectively said $1,700 won't do it (where for some others, it would be a no-brainer), then you can please give us a number.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@jethro288

Then give us a number, because your initial post did not provide one.
If you have subjectively said $1,700 won't do it (where for some others, it would be a no-brainer), then you can please give us a number.
Thanks for your help with this and my apologies for not providing a number. Don't laugh, but I was looking at $1,000-$1,200 maximum.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:21 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Thanks for your help with this and my apologies for not providing a number. Don't laugh, but I was looking at $1,000-$1,200 maximum.
What about the other questions - are you willing to fly in Y? Are there any particular dates that you would like to use? And presumably if that's your budget, you're looking to just turn around and get right back on a plane rather than hanging out at a destination a day or two?

The first two years I made SE, I did it with year-end trips to BOS. I had decided I would do an MR somewhere, but I wanted to get some value for the money beyond the status, so I met up with a close friend, we went to a Patriots game, and made a nice weekend of it. Cost me more money overall, but I also enjoyed hanging out with my buddy, football, etc.

Would something like that make more sense for you? It's not going to reduce the cost, but maybe it would feel like a better return on investment.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Would something like that make more sense for you? It's not going to reduce the cost, but maybe it would feel like a better return on investment.
+1

Having done both quick turns and MR vacations, the MR vacations are worth the investment.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What about the other questions - are you willing to fly in Y? Are there any particular dates that you would like to use? And presumably if that's your budget, you're looking to just turn around and get right back on a plane rather than hanging out at a destination a day or two?

The first two years I made SE, I did it with year-end trips to BOS. I had decided I would do an MR somewhere, but I wanted to get some value for the money beyond the status, so I met up with a close friend, we went to a Patriots game, and made a nice weekend of it. Cost me more money overall, but I also enjoyed hanging out with my buddy, football, etc.

No problems traveling in Y and also no issues with mini vacation. I was thinking early December dates since they may be cheapest. An example I was looking at (although the flight times were not great and overnight layover - e.g. 5 hours overnight in Montreal) was YYZ to SJO? (Costa Rica). I have not worked out mileage but cost was around $850 on AC metal - Comfort Class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.