Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: AC 8-10k mileage run Dec 2018

Question: AC 8-10k mileage run Dec 2018

Old Nov 24, 18, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K
AC 8-10k mileage run Dec 2018

Long story short, I decided that since I was travelling more than usual this year, to make a hobby out of AC's FFP (I know, sounds crazy). Originally my goal was to get P25K, but I'm now about 8K short of E50K. I have from Dec 27-30 to do a mileage run, and being extremely new at this whole FFP thing, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on some good mileage runs which could rack up more than 8k and not break the bank. I would be flying out of YVR and was looking at western europe.
Old Nov 24, 18, 7:44 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Do a YVR - Hawaii run: in business 8100 miles
Prices are pretty good, at least they were $1700 CAD round trip
Europe in Business will be much more!
Old Nov 24, 18, 7:58 am

Programs: AC S100K
Honestly, I think a lot of us see this as a kind of hobby. That allows us to justify some of the otherwise-nonsensical things we do.

To be clear, youíve hit the AQD, right, so itís just miles you need?
Old Nov 24, 18, 8:10 am

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
+1 on HNL, it's been both ms. mikeyyz and my favourite MR! From YYZ often a UA roundtrip is just over $1200... but from YVR CUN is also a good option - just not the direct flights! A J roundtrip will be less than HNL and you can pick lie flats to/from YYZ.

Great Circle Mapper

Here's one option for $1200 over a weekend:

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=Y...73*.CAD.122373

If you want to suffer in Y you will get almost enough miles and save $600
Old Nov 24, 18, 8:56 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
here's another mileage calculator & you can enter your bonus miles for total miles

Mileage Calculator - WebFlyer :: The Frequent Flyer Authority
Old Nov 24, 18, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K
By my calculation I should hit the ADQ, so this trip is purely for the miles. I definitively like the HNL option. I wonder if J is cheaper because they're not lie flat pods. Should be interesting as the cheapest options looks like a red eye on the way back.
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by marchelli View Post
By my calculation I should hit the ADQ, so this trip is purely for the miles. I definitively like the HNL option. I wonder if J is cheaper because they're not lie flat pods. Should be interesting as the cheapest options looks like a red eye on the way back.
Yep that is the downer on the run to HNL, I hate the late departure, your last ones to leave the UA lounge!
Old Nov 25, 18, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
I am doing the HNL run on 12/31 - on UA there are several lie-flat pod route options, we are doing IAD (I did the same flight last year - pretty good but buy breakfast in IAD, it's pretty mediocre on board)
Old Nov 25, 18, 4:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by mikeyyz View Post
I am doing the HNL run on 12/31 - on UA there are several lie-flat pod route options, we are doing IAD (I did the same flight last year - pretty good but buy breakfast in IAD, it's pretty mediocre on board)
LH lounge would have a pretty good breakfast, I think. Turkish, too. No booze at breakfast anyway.
Old Nov 25, 18, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, hhonors Diamond
Although cheap F to HNL is a good mileage option, I'd be worried about a run on 12/31 if you need the AQM for status this year. If you get a weather or mechanical issue you've got no time to recover.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
+1 on HNL, it's been both ms. mikeyyz and my favourite MR! From YYZ often a UA roundtrip is just over $1200... but from YVR CUN is also a good option - just not the direct flights! A J roundtrip will be less than HNL and you can pick lie flats to/from YYZ.

Great Circle Mapper

Here's one option for $1200 over a weekend:

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=Y...73*.CAD.122373

If you want to suffer in Y you will get almost enough miles and save $600
$1200 to get GOLD on AC is not worth it.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC E50k
It depends on the kind of travel you plan on doing next year. For example, I made 50k on segments and it is awesome for me as I spend a lot of time in Europe so the lounge access is worth it. Boarding first is next best. Upgrades is third in line. The rest of it is inconsequential.

This year, I’ll be 12 segments shy of 75K and a fair chunk in miles thanks to my companies focus on lowest price fares. I drew the line at basic fares. This much time in a can has to come with a few perks.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by mellon View Post
$1200 to get GOLD on AC is not worth it.
Disagree...Priority Check-in across the Star Alliance network, Priority Boarding across the Star Alliance network, and Lounge Access across the Star Alliance network all make E50K worth it; the remaining AC-specific benefits (eUps, bonus Aeroplan, etc) are all secondary benefits in my mind .
RangerNS likes this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ View Post
Disagree...Priority Check-in across the Star Alliance network, Priority Boarding across the Star Alliance network, and Lounge Access across the Star Alliance network all make E50K worth it; the remaining AC-specific benefits (eUps, bonus Aeroplan, etc) are all secondary benefits in my mind .
It depends. If you fly domestic Tango every week, it's definitely worth it. (and commiserations) If you fly less than at least a roundtrip a month, it's probably not worth it.
jc94 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
What is worth something valuable to A might be worth little to B. Everyone has their own set of unique circumstances and preferences. Unless A and B are the same person.
Or we can have a I agree/disagree shouting match for the next 3,485.34 posts.
canadiancow, Plumber and flyquiet like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: