Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Gift Card - Last Minute gift that keeps on Giving

Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

THE LAST-MINUTE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING – GET BONUS MILES WHEN YOU PURCHASE AN AIR CANADA GIFT CARD Earn bonus miles when you give the gift of travel. Purchase an Air Canada Gift Card between November 22 and 26, 2018, and get:

• 2 miles per dollar spent on purchases up to $750
• 4 miles per dollar spent on purchases over $751

Hurry, this exclusive, one-time offer for Altitude members is available for a limited time online only.* Be sure to enter your Aeroplan Number at time of purchase in order to receive your bonus miles. Complete Air Canada Gift Card terms and conditions can be found at aircanada.com/giftcard.

*In order to be eligible for this offer, you must be an Air Canada AltitudeTM member and enter your Aeroplan number at time of purchase. Members will be credited in January 2019 based on the total amount spent during the promotional period, up to a maximum of $10,000CAD spent in gift card purchases made online at aircanada.com/giftcard. Eligible purchases must be made between November 22 and 26, 2018. Bonus Aeroplan Miles are not Altitude Qualifying Miles and do not count towards Air Canada Altitude status.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I don't normally buy gift cards, but thinking of this one. The gift card would be for my own use (some gift, eh?). I have read the Faq and don't see anything there I would find alarming. I would be using it for standard on line AC tickets, etc. Any downside risk that I should worry about?

I know I will be spending $$ on AC next year. I assume these are non-status miles though.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I need to buy a latitude NA flight pass ,as well as a TATL pass. Good way to run up the AE account when I gift myself.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by acysb87
I need to buy a latitude NA flight pass ,as well as a TATL pass. Good way to run up the AE account when I gift myself.
You can't buy FPs with AC gift cards.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by mapleg
I don't normally buy gift cards, but thinking of this one. The gift card would be for my own use (some gift, eh?). I have read the Faq and don't see anything there I would find alarming. I would be using it for standard on line AC tickets, etc. Any downside risk that I should worry about?

I know I will be spending $$ on AC next year. I assume these are non-status miles though.
You lose credit card insurance coverage if you buy with gift cards.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
You can't buy FPs with AC gift cards.
Hmm, time to get more creative. Have staff travelling on business in early December and January

Thanks for heads up, missed that nugget
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I assume its from AIr Canada, so if i use AMEX it would be double the miles, so $1,000 gift card would be 2,000 AP plus 4 miles per dollar, another 2,000 AP for a total of 4,000 AP for a $1,000 Gift card. I would use the gift card for a partial AC ticket purchase to keep the insurance. I may just do this!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I assume its from AIr Canada, so if i use AMEX it would be double the miles, so $1,000 gift card would be 2,000 AP plus 4 miles per dollar, another 2,000 AP for a total of 4,000 AP for a $1,000 Gift card. I would use the gift card for a partial AC ticket purchase to keep the insurance. I may just do this!
I might do same, but wonder if Amex will code it as travel. I had a pretty vigorous argument when I bought an upgrade to J on a flight. They only gave 1x miles claiming it was not travel related claiming it came from AC Financial or treasury or something like that.

Took me a while to tell them that I considered it ridiculous and to claim that air travel or upgrades sold directly by AC are not travel related. They tried to pawn me off with a partial amount of extra miles and I just advised I wanted all of them or would not be renewing the card if not resolved.

PS-are you sure AMEX will say flight is insured even if partially paid by AMEX?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I might do same, but wonder if Amex will code it as travel. I had a pretty vigorous argument when I bought an upgrade to J on a flight. They only gave 1x miles claiming it was not travel related claiming it came from AC Financial or treasury or something like that.

Took me a while to tell them that I considered it ridiculous and to claim that air travel or upgrades sold directly by AC are not travel related. They tried to pawn me off with a partial amount of extra miles and I just advised I wanted all of them or would not be renewing the card if not resolved.

PS-are you sure AMEX will say flight is insured even if partially paid by AMEX?

I just tried to look but cant. I am in Turkey right now and cant access my aeroplan account or amex.ca? Hours earlier i could do lots and now i cant seem to access some stuff!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Just so people are aware, Air Canada gift cards are processed by Buyatab so it will not code as airfare on your credit card.
YVRYEGYVR likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:17 am

Sorry, I might be stupid.

So if I buy $5,000 worth, I'll get 20,000 miles? Plus my Amex CC bonus of 1.5, so 7,500. So 27,500 miles ....

Not that I need miles, but I know I have some purchases coming up. Seems straightforward.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Just so people are aware, Air Canada gift cards are processed by Buyatab so it will not code as airfare on your credit card.
There goes that theory then.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
* You would get your normal rate of points on the CC you use to purchase them, not any airfare rate
* The bonus from purchasing these may offset that
* No CC insurance

I'm wondering how much BoB I do a year. 2mi/$ is more then the Amex.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:13 pm

There goes that theory then.

Darn
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Good luck getting the transaction to actually go through with their provider (Buyatab ?). I tried 4 times today (using 2 different CC's) - no luck.

If they has Verified by Visa or Masterpass the process would be much easier for those of us considering buying one.

As it is, I gave up - not worth the frustration the process entails.

CC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.