Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Gift Card - Last Minute gift that keeps on Giving

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Gift Card - Last Minute gift that keeps on Giving

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The AC GC is problematic in so many different ways.

A great gift for FOTSGs though.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
What if I spend extactly $751?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
What if I spend extactly $751?
It will be indeterminate between:
3 miles per dollar, or 0 miles per dollar.
jc94 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: AC SE
Are there any compelling reasons not to buy some gift cards to cover flights I'll need to book anyway?

I understand that most insurance perks that come with credit cards won't apply to flights booked partially or entirely on gift cards. Are there any other concerns to be aware of before sinking a few grand into this? I'm an avid Aeroplan collector so it seems like a good way to pick up some extra points.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Are there any compelling reasons not to buy some gift cards to cover flights I'll need to book anyway?

I understand that most insurance perks that come with credit cards won't apply to flights booked partially or entirely on gift cards. Are there any other concerns to be aware of before sinking a few grand into this? I'm an avid Aeroplan collector so it seems like a good way to pick up some extra points.
From 2015 to this year, there have been several reported issues/problems of different varieties. I have friends and colleagues that have had issues with AC GCs as well.
Below are just a random sample.

Need help resolving a gift card / CA codeshare mess

Can't use air canada gift card when upfaring?

AC Gift Card, do NOT over scratch PIN

Gift Card -- earn up to 1000 AQM for 2019 status

Air Canada cancelled my flight & will not refund my $1000 Gift card

Couple's travel plans grounded after Air Canada gift card emptied before activation

Help using Air Canada e-gift card on Air Canada Vacations

Kinda urgent : How long before refund goes back on gift card?

use gift card for eupgrade add-on free?

Air canada issues gift card due to flight issues; gift card is invalid...

Planning on using an AC Gift Card??? Warning!

Need AC Gift Card Corporate contact

Air Canada Gift Card, Useless?

I've booked a handful of flights with gift cards this year, but it was for simple, straight forward bookings and the entire cost of a flight was covered by a single card each time (with small balances remaining). As a start, my suggestion would be to read the fine print and at least understand that part of it.
Other than that, YMMV, IMHO.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian

Some credit cards earn 3-5 points per dollar on airfare purchases. I doubt you'd get more than 1.5 on the gift card.

So it depends on how you value the CC points compared to Aeroplan points.

For me, it's 5 US MR points or 3 Chase UR points per USD on airfare, or 1 MR/UR point per USD on gift cards and 4 Aeroplan miles per CAD. I'd probably go with MR/UR. They're worth more than the Aeroplan miles to me.

And that doesn't even factor in the insurance, or the fact that I'm now loaning AC money.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by yyznomad
From 2015 to this year, there have been several reported issues/problems of different varieties. I have friends and colleagues that have had issues with AC GCs as well.
Below are just a random sample.

Need help resolving a gift card / CA codeshare mess

Can't use air canada gift card when upfaring?

AC Gift Card, do NOT over scratch PIN

Gift Card -- earn up to 1000 AQM for 2019 status

Air Canada cancelled my flight & will not refund my $1000 Gift card

Couple's travel plans grounded after Air Canada gift card emptied before activation

Help using Air Canada e-gift card on Air Canada Vacations

Kinda urgent : How long before refund goes back on gift card?

use gift card for eupgrade add-on free?

Air canada issues gift card due to flight issues; gift card is invalid...

Planning on using an AC Gift Card??? Warning!

Need AC Gift Card Corporate contact

Air Canada Gift Card, Useless?

I've booked a handful of flights with gift cards this year, but it was for simple, straight forward bookings and the entire cost of a flight was covered by a single card each time (with small balances remaining). As a start, my suggestion would be to read the fine print and at least understand that part of it.
Other than that, YMMV, IMHO.
Every link says thread not found?

I wish AC would process the payment themselves, I also couldn't successfully purchase due to verified by visa, will try again tonight.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Every link says thread not found?

I wish AC would process the payment themselves, I also couldn't successfully purchase due to verified by visa, will try again tonight.
I just clicked on every thread link in my original post and in my quote of your post, and they all work.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:13 pm

I just clicked on every thread link in my original post and in my quote of your post, and they all work.
Must be this computer- not on best wifi. thanks
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must be this computer- not on best wifi. thanks
Well, at least you can see the thread titles, right? I'm sure that already says enough, and that's not even close to all of them.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:25 pm

Its great you managed to put those altogether.
I assume the full cost of the flight (including taxes, surcharges, seats) can all be paid for from the gift card and vice versa? i.e. to claim amex credit for airline cost, I would save seat selection to bill directly to amex and use the giftcard only for the flight itself
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its great you managed to put those altogether.
I assume the full cost of the flight (including taxes, surcharges, seats) can all be paid for from the gift card and vice versa? i.e. to claim amex credit for airline cost, I would save seat selection to bill directly to amex and use the giftcard only for the flight itself
Yes, but you can't pick and choose which portion of the cost to pay with the GC. Like, you can't say, I only want to pay the YQ, surcharges, AIFs, etc.). If the flight prices out to $500 all-in and you have $1000 on your GC, it will just deduct the $500. You get the gist (because I'm partially generalizing to get the point across).

The seat selection can be done after booking with the GC, and then at that point you can use another payment method.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Agreed, they all work.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:29 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
Good luck getting the transaction to actually go through with their provider (Buyatab ?). I tried 4 times today (using 2 different CC's) - no luck.

If they has Verified by Visa or Masterpass the process would be much easier for those of us considering buying one.

As it is, I gave up - not worth the frustration the process entails.

CC
Same here. Not worth the hassle - I won't be calling in to try to get this through if it does not work online.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
I don't normally buy gift cards, but thinking of this one. The gift card would be for my own use (some gift, eh?). I have read the Faq and don't see anything there I would find alarming. I would be using it for standard on line AC tickets, etc. Any downside risk that I should worry about?

I know I will be spending $$ on AC next year. I assume these are non-status miles though.
Donīt buy a gift card! Itīs just a waste

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.