Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Briggs and Riley 22 AC challenge at gate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: VIPorter First, AC E50, Accor Platinum, SPG Ambassador

I have a 22' B&R Baseline CX -- which just fits in the sizer for Porter and United, where I do most of my flying, though is about a half-inch too large for the AC sizer. It's inconspicuous, though technically oversized. How likely is it that I'll get challenged by a gate agent? I fly pretty often -- usually 2x a week for work, primarily on short-haul segments on CRJs, E190s/E175s or an A320, where I know bin space is tight. Usually I'll fly on a Latitude flight pass, so will board Zone 2 -- and on slightly longer segments I fly in J. Just wondering what challenge rate I can expect with this carry-on.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I have the 22" spinner - I've never been challenged on it by AC on any type of equipment.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AC SE
It's very unlikely you'll have any trouble.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was once challenged with my bag (legal in most cases, though this time I had picked up one too many souvenirs), and only my status prevented a gate-check.

Challenges are rare (though definitely depends on the airport), but if it happens, there aren't too many cards you can play. And if you're in Y with no status, I don't think you have any.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I have the same one. Never been challenged. My son borrowed it and he was challenged and he said he got it in the AC sizer. I did not think it would fit!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:14 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I have the same one (best bag I've ever owned) and have yet to be challenged, even on some lesser European carriers.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: S100K, ACMM, Fairmont Presidents Club Platinum
Unlikely ever to be challenged in my experience
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
You’d really experience challenge on board any airbus should wheels first not be possible. Sideways stowage is a beacon for oversized luggage on those aircraft. Perhaps not an issue based on your flying. Both my B&R are technically oversized based on specified height of bag, however they fit on all AC aircraft (especially those configured for wheels first bins) and have never drawn the attention of a gate agent.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Premiere Elite - YEG
You’d really experience challenge on board any airbus should wheels first not be possible. Sideways stowage is a beacon for oversized luggage on those aircraft. Perhaps not an issue based on your flying. Both my B&R are technically oversized based on specified height of bag, however they fit on all AC aircraft (especially those configured for wheels first bins) and have never drawn the attention of a gate agent.
Petty sure these do fit in that way. However in the smaller bins on the 763, even sideways, they barely fit. Gets difficult closing the bins. Although at least if in J, I always got it in with no complaint, especially if sitting on the A side.

(I still have one, although we both since bought slightly smaller ones that do fit within AC's standards.)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I have the same bag for years — maybe 20. I’ve been challenged once by security at a YYZ (simply used a different door and no issues), once at LHR security where I had to demonstrate it fit their sizer (it did), and once by AC ground staff at LHR who looked at my tag and said “oh, you’re in business, no problem”.

Agree with others, a great bag. When I bought it they showed me the trick for getting it in the AC sizer — angle it in. Takes a bit of practice.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'd generally corroborate what @Bartolo said. I believe that AC's sizers generally will fit a 22" bag. I wouldn't worry about it - even if you get challenged (which is rare, as others have said), it will probably fit in the sizer.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@latenightlaundry

If you get a chance to test it out in an AC sizer (away from the lurking eyes of AC employees, of course), let us know the results in this thread:

List of Carry-on bags that fit in AC sizers
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Just flew 7 segments (5 in AC-J, 1 in LH-Y and 1 in LH C) and no problems with the 10 year old 22" BR.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC SE
I have that bag - it doesn't fit in the sizer, but it fits just fine on every single one of AC's aircraft.

I've also never been challenged on it - but I've always had status (E50k or SE), and I've made a point of making sure that I have a tag on the bag showing my status just in case. If you don't have status, you might get nicked with it - but personally I'd risk it.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The thing is, it depends on how you get challenged.

Just as long as you don't get the agent who is standing inside the top of the jetway with the sizer forcing everyone to put their roll-aboard or tote/satchel before they continue on, you will be fine 99.8% of the time.

I know because this happened to me once and once only with my roll-aboard (all during priority boarding for J!) and that was my forced gate check.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.