Aeroplan redemption questions

Old Nov 18, 18, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Aeroplan redemption questions

Sorry, rookie questions. I havent been in the game for 3 years now. The last time was 2015.
Looks like lots have changed! yyz to sin is now 90K ?? wth.

Ok, here is my situation. Will be flying to Asia in MArch.

Wife wants to do YYZ to HKG, HKG to HND and HND back to YYZ. Stops in HKG and Japan
YYZ to HKG and HND to YYZ is fine. Diret flights and available. We want direct flights because a) flying with a 23 month old and b) Mother in law is coming along and she holds a Malaysia passport so cannot connect through USA - they too lazy to go through the lenghty process of getting a US visa.

SO when i search HKG to HND, or even ICN to HND, or TPE to HND, busines and economy, all i get is 2 stops, or 1 stops with long layover. is it normal now that it is almost impossible to get direct flights between the big cities? i've checked multiple cities and dates
Old Nov 18, 18, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
It all depends on availability. Is the complete trip an aeroplan ticket? Which dates are you looking.
The only star alliance carrier that would do HKG to NRT or HND non stop would be ANA.
Old Nov 18, 18, 10:20 pm

Sometimes the search engine doesn’t show all available routes when searching start point to end point. Search for availability on the individual legs you want. If you find it available, you can call in and have them put the itinerary together for you with the legs you want.
Old Nov 18, 18, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ichinensei View Post
Sorry, rookie questions. I havent been in the game for 3 years now. The last time was 2015.
Looks like lots have changed! yyz to sin is now 90K ?? wth.

Ok, here is my situation. Will be flying to Asia in MArch.

Wife wants to do YYZ to HKG, HKG to HND and HND back to YYZ. Stops in HKG and Japan
YYZ to HKG and HND to YYZ is fine. Diret flights and available. We want direct flights because a) flying with a 23 month old and b) Mother in law is coming along and she holds a Malaysia passport so cannot connect through USA - they too lazy to go through the lenghty process of getting a US visa.

SO when i search HKG to HND, or even ICN to HND, or TPE to HND, busines and economy, all i get is 2 stops, or 1 stops with long layover. is it normal now that it is almost impossible to get direct flights between the big cities? i've checked multiple cities and dates
don't forget ANA operates HKG to NRT as well
Old Nov 18, 18, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by chebert999 View Post
It all depends on availability. Is the complete trip an aeroplan ticket? Which dates are you looking.
The only star alliance carrier that would do HKG to NRT or HND non stop would be ANA.
You can book probably book CX too (is HKG-TYO eligible?), but you need to call in.
Old Nov 19, 18, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
You can book probably book CX too (is HKG-TYO eligible?), but you need to call in.
i don't think that it is a valide route on CX or KA. not to cities where AC flies its own metal to.

from Aeroplan website:

Eligible flight rewards are between Hong Kong and:
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Phuket, Thailand
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Cebu, Philippines
- Manila, Philippines
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Hanoi, Vietnam
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 19, 18, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I've tried all the tricks mentioned above. i check one way, Returns between just HKG and HND. or HKG and NRT, I've even checked Nagoya, KIX out of desperation but the only direct flght i got from all that is HKG to KIX on Air India. But then the return from KIX to YYZ would obviously not be direct. I'm looking at March dates
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Hi guys. sorry i have more questions.

the wife have decided to just go YYZ to HND and back.

1) do most of you here book two separate tickets online so to avoid the fees you have to pay Aeroplan when calling in or call in and pay fee to have the tickets as one booking (is this even important?) 2 separate aeroplan account
2)how much fees does aeropan charge now per account> is it still $25 per account on phone booking
3) if i do # 1 route, who do i call to add the INFANT> do i call aeroplan or do i call AC? and if i call Aeroplan is there a fee to add infant? (other than taxes)

thanks
Old Nov 28, 18, 10:37 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by aznfreak007 View Post
don't forget ANA operates HKG to NRT as well
Don`t know why but I love that single seat in the middle of the J cabin they use on the ANA 767 for that route.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Nov 29, 18 at 1:10 pm
Old Nov 29, 18, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC E35K, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by Ichinensei View Post
Hi guys. sorry i have more questions.

the wife have decided to just go YYZ to HND and back.

1) do most of you here book two separate tickets online so to avoid the fees you have to pay Aeroplan when calling in or call in and pay fee to have the tickets as one booking (is this even important?) 2 separate aeroplan account
2)how much fees does aeropan charge now per account> is it still $25 per account on phone booking
3) if i do # 1 route, who do i call to add the INFANT> do i call aeroplan or do i call AC? and if i call Aeroplan is there a fee to add infant? (other than taxes)

thanks
If I am using 2 separate accounts then what I usually do is book each direction separately but 2 tickets on each. So I would book the outbound as 2 one-way tickets from my wife's account and the return as 2 one-way tickets from my account.
Aeroplan charges $30 for calling in
I believe you need to call Aeroplan if there isn't already an option online to add the infant, shouldn't be an issue. Infants fly free until 2 years old as I am sure you are aware.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: