Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possibilities for a home stopover in YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:26 am
Original Poster

im looking at booking a return open jaw flight from YVR-KIX-YVR-??? next summer...

there would be a stopover in YVR for 3 months. What are my options for the open jaw. I’m thinking of SFO, LAX, PHX, IAH, LAS, or another warm place as it would be winter. Could I even do MIA?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
im looking at booking a return open jaw flight from YVR-KIX-YVR-??? next summer...

there would be a stopover in YVR for 3 months. What are my options for the open jaw. I’m thinking of SFO, LAX, PHX, IAH, LAS, or another warm place as it would be winter. Could I even do MIA?
SFO especially isn’t always that warm in the winter. But it does have good tourist options like Alcatraz if all your stuff doesn’t get stolen. Not that I’m predujiced.

LAX will be warmer and has good options like WB studios and I think the Iowa is so what close.

PHX is blinding hot year round. I believe it hit 42c when I was there one October. There isn’t much to do there though unless you drive North to say the Grand Canyon (which is at altitude and will be colder). You can also drive South to Tombstone which is fine for a day.

Theres always PSP or SJC which should give warm options and you have Joshua Tree near to PSP or Big Sur near SJC. UA flies to both and so does AC albeit not every day for PSP and I believe it’s Rouge.

Really depends what you want to do. If you want to sit by a hotel pool and get a tan, then eat at the hotel PHX probably works.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:57 pm

Normally with open jaws, the point of departure to destination has to be further than destination to return city.

YVR-KIX-LAX bad.
LAX-KIX-YVR good.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:40 pm

The rule with open jaws is the distance between the open jaw points....in this case between LAX and YVR has to be less than the shortest sector flown. ie YVR-KIX. So it does not matter if you start from LAX or YVR.
MSPeconomist, D582 and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tracon
Normally with open jaws, the point of departure to destination has to be further than destination to return city.

YVR-KIX-LAX bad.
LAX-KIX-YVR good.
HUH? This makes no sense.
Stranger and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
The rule with open jaws is the distance between the open jaw points....in this case between LAX and YVR has to be less than the shortest sector flown. ie YVR-KIX. So it does not matter if you start from LAX or YVR.
Thanks this is helpful. In theory does this mean that my open jaw destination could be Miami?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:29 pm

Thanks this is helpful. In theory does this mean that my open jaw destination could be Miami?
Sure, or you could even throw in a few extra points and access the whole spectrum of Caribbean destinations (except Cuba). Or Hawaii. Since HNL would route HNL-YVR-KIX.

POS would be the furthest you could go Carribean-wise. Puerto Espana in Trinidad.
bluemeansgo likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94

SFO especially isn’t always that warm in the winter. But it does have good tourist options like Alcatraz if all your stuff doesn’t get stolen. Not that I’m predujiced.

yes, that’s true. I was just thinking of ease of getting there.
LAX will be warmer and has good options like WB studios and I think the Iowa is so what close.

PHX is blinding hot year round. I believe it hit 42c when I was there one October. There isn’t much to do there though unless you drive North to say the Grand Canyon (which is at altitude and will be colder). You can also drive South to Tombstone which is fine for a day.

Theres always PSP or SJC which should give warm options and you have Joshua Tree near to PSP or Big Sur near SJC. UA flies to both and so does AC albeit not every day for PSP and I believe it’s Rouge.
I hadn’t thought of PSP, that’s not a bad idea. Yeah, I have a sister who lived in Phx. The change of scenery is striking coming from YVR, and Sedona is a short drive away (though a bit cooler true).

Really depends what you want to do. If you want to sit by a hotel pool and get a tan, then eat at the hotel PHX probably works.
Lol. Through I think Phoenix outside of the city has plenty of outdoor potential and some beautiful scenery.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz
Sure, or you could even throw in a few extra points and access the whole spectrum of Caribbean destinations (except Cuba). Or Hawaii. Since HNL would route HNL-YVR-KIX.
hmmm. That sounds interesting. I thought Hawaii wouldn’t be allowed on that routing... now you’ve got me thinking as that was our first choice.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:37 pm

hmmm. That sounds interesting. I thought Hawaii wouldn’t be allowed on that routing... now you’ve got me thinking as that was our first choice.

Would cost you a few extra points though.. But definitely allowed. But if you're looking for 'value for money' (or points), then paying a few extra points and doing the south Carribean gets you onto more flying for the points spent. HNL flights out of YVR are comparatively cheap for cash purchase.
bluemeansgo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.