Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-AKL-IAH NZ J award - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:28 am

Whenever you find unicorn award availability on NZ long-haul J routes, always go for it.
taupo, Twickenham, 24left and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
There’s a bus to downtown from the airport. I think it was an express with one or at most two stops. Runs regularly. Reasonable price. Drops one in a convenient place.

City centre along the water is lovely. Art gallery downtown is small but interesting, just avoid the rigid volunteer. She had to have been the most unfriendly person I met in NZ.

A rental car would allow for seeing more quickly. Downtown is compact but city is spread out. One has to be comfortable driving on the other side of the road.

Museum, as pointed out by @adamsmith, worth the visit and gives a good history of the country. Has a gift shop for original NZ crafts at reasonable prices.

There’s a Novotel across from the international terminal which is a cut above other Novotels. Food there leaves something to be desired.

NZ J is wonderful. Service excellent. I’ve done them domestically, trans Tasman, and TPAC. Unfortunately no more domestic J. Their F is a distant wonderful memory (no longer offered). My first F trip. I recall every detail.

It’s a wonderful easy place to visit with friendly welcoming people. Direct , or more direct, flight vs stops is a very personal decision. Mightbmake a difference if on the outbound vs the return. Enjoy!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Auckland in December is never UK like weather. It is summer. AKL is never grey and wet and cold like the UK, ever! Lived in both for many years and return to both often.

Take the bus to downtown. Walk the wharves, look at the yachts, great eateries and bars down there.
Walk to the Domain by the museum to stretch legs.
Skip Sky Tower.
Head back, use Premium Check in it's own area, visit the Koru, head to back section of Koru through the glass doors (away from the rabble). Koru has great food and drink.

NZ J is nice. Better food, better wine and booze selection, better bed for sleeping. AC's is better for sitting and IFE. No pesky announcements except post take-off and pre-landing.

And about a J award on NZ. Well done you.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by taupo
Auckland in December is never UK like weather. It is summer. AKL is never grey and wet and cold like the UK, ever! Lived in both for many years and return to both often.

Take the bus to downtown. Walk the wharves, look at the yachts, great eateries and bars down there.
Walk to the Domain by the museum to stretch legs.
Skip Sky Tower.
Head back, use Premium Check in it's own area, visit the Koru, head to back section of Koru through the glass doors (away from the rabble). Koru has great food and drink.

NZ J is nice. Better food, better wine and booze selection, better bed for sleeping. AC's is better for sitting and IFE. No pesky announcements except post take-off and pre-landing.

And about a J award on NZ. Well done you.
Okay I bow to your experience! I've only been personally once (my info wasn't solely based on that one personal trip) but I'm hoping next time will be better

Grabbing a NZ J award off AP is impressive indeed.
taupo likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jc94
Grabbing a NZ J award off AP is impressive indeed.
I'm sure OP is happy with his NZ J award.

I've had multiple NZ J unicorns in the last few months along with the SQ F Suites, so magic can happen on Aeroplan.

One has to be patient, flexible, and fast......and allow for some sleepless nights.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 24left
I'm sure OP is happy with his NZ J award.

I've had multiple NZ J unicorns in the last few months along with the SQ F Suites, so magic can happen on Aeroplan.

One has to be patient, flexible, and fast......and allow for some sleepless nights.
Wait what, AE works at night now?
taupo likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
I appreciate all suggestions and opinions. Booked!

Had to call this in and pay extra for over the phone booking, but still a great value I think.

FWIW, J availability is still there: searched few dates to SFO and LAX. Nothing to IAH though now. I'm amazed that AC charges less miles for SIN-AKL-US than AKL-US.

Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Great job in securing J on NZ.

The weather around AKL in early Dec can be a little mixed weather-wise (sunny, showery, windy, sunny) - but usually not bad overall. Mid-Jan to late Feb is best. Think 20-24 degrees.

Sometimes there are cheap rental 1-way relocation deals from airport to the city (then just take a bus back), otherwise the 'skybus' is fine and frequent.

Finally, just note Air NZ is suffering Dreamliner issues, so there have been equipment changes, and they are also leasing 1-2 exSQ 777 and 1 BR 77W. If you have the NZ PNR (always ends in 'H', ie ?????H), then you can make seat assignments.

Enjoy the 'City of Sails'

Edited to add: AC probably has 'Asia' being closer to Canada than Aus/NZ, hence the lower miles/points. The huge dogleg south to AKL is probably near the limit of Max Permitted Mileage' for SIN-SFO.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tonykline1947
I appreciate all suggestions and opinions. Booked!

Had to call this in and pay extra for over the phone booking, but still a great value I think.

FWIW, J availability is still there: searched few dates to SFO and LAX. Nothing to IAH though now. I'm amazed that AC charges less miles for SIN-AKL-US than AKL-US.

@tonykline1947
Awesome and congrats!

I really lucked out a couple of months back and got NZ J SFO-AKL and return was NZ J AKL-LAX. Those were the exact flights/routes I wanted and it was absolutely worth waiting for. They appeared one night on Aeroplan (yes, yes, one of my sleepless nights) and disappeared while I tried to build the itinerary. They re-appeared the next day.

Outstanding flights, impeccable service, fantastic food and drinks.

If you're curious , here is my post Business Class Meals - Menus & Photos

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Great job in securing J on NZ.

Finally, just note Air NZ is suffering Dreamliner issues, so there have been equipment changes, and they are also leasing 1-2 exSQ 777 and 1 BR 77W. If you have the NZ PNR (always ends in 'H', ie ?????H), then you can make seat assignments.
@Thai-Kiwi
Absolutely a great job!

I spent a lot of time reading the NZ FT forum before I found the flights for my first trip. I read the thread "Trent woes" as well as the excellent job NZ itself was doing posting updates to which flights had equipment swaps (eg. your mention of the leased BR 777-300ERs or the SQ 777-200s). I really feel for NZ more than any other airline on this issue.

On the June trip, I had the NZ 777-300s each way. Last week, I flew the NZ B789. She's a beauty.

And since this was an Aeroplan redemption, I'll share, and I will add that there are many here who had the opportunity to fly NZ way before I did and raved about it and that inspired me. And many others also got to fly SQ First Suites. I'm happy I did that and all of this on one trip. And not to be left out, the UA Polaris seat and bedding were outstanding.

It was well worth the Aeroplan change fee and call centre fee to get this, at least it was for me.

Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
@24Left — how did you get SQ suites from AE? I thought they were reserved only for their own FF, if then.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fin 645
A semantic quibble - SIN-AKL on an SQ 380? Presumably via SYD and connecting - on NZ?
@fin 645
No.
SIN-AKL and no connections. Nice 10+ hours flight. Lovely bottle of Dom. All manner of fun.

SQ has at least 2 flights per day - at least for the period in which I flew. The A380 option popped up in F and J. Decided to have some fun and went with F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.