Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rouge - Pleasant Surprise!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I think the dislike of Rouge is vastly overrated..........
Respectfully disagree.

Well...... we have 518 pages of this thread Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Many poor experiences in the early days, cabin, service, crew. Those who FOTSG have their own opinions when deciding choose rouge for their trip. Those who fly frequently and some on FT who do so, have more experience and more diverse opinions.

We had a horrid experience in Dec 2013 to SRQ. Extremely poor service and poor crew were the main reasons. Even if only 2.5 hours approx and in Y, the issue wasn't the seat so much as these other items. Disney training and those crew hats were not going to convince me that this is what I wanted to fly.

In Jan 2017, I flew with YEG_SE4life to PHX in J on the 763. The seat was not comfortable, the cabin was cramped, but the service had deficiently improved and all of it was much better because of my travel buddy and because we were celebrating his 3MM.

I have done a number of Rouge 321 sectors to and from YQB this year, some up front, some in Y. For 1 hour, it was fine.

And thankfully, crew are more professional and look much better in the new uniforms.

I would say it is a success in reducing costs for AC (not our pocketbook, mind you) .
Agree.

And that is the main reason rouge was invented and exists today. Huge savings to AC from salaries to cabin crew, among other things. As has been stated many times in the main rouge thread, it was never about being LOW COST to the pax, only low cost to AC. Which is fine.
jc94 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I think the dislike of Rouge is vastly overrated.

Yes, the narrow bodies have a crappy pitch in Y. Aside from that, it is almost 1:1 with mainline in terms of food/service on the ground experience.

I have done a bunch of segments on the 763 (not as many as YEG has) and its been fine.

I would say it is a success in reducing costs for AC (not our pocketbook, mind you) .
I very rarely fly (without a preferred seat), so my sample is really small... But I did fly without one on both a Rouge and mainline flight. The mainline one was miserable but bearable, the Rouge one my knees were in pain. Both were about 4h.

However, as we continue our race to the bottom and for those flying in preferred seats or up front I would agree the difference is becoming negligible (although I do like IFE which is available gate to gate).

Especially if you are < 170cm. I believe Rouge is often 30-31” vs 31-33” mainline? And yes I’m aware other carrriers default to 30 but this is not a AC vs Sprint thread
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 24left
Respectfully disagree.

Many poor experiences in the early days, cabin, service, crew. Those who FOTSG have their own opinions when deciding choose rouge for their trip. Those who fly frequently and some on FT who do so, have more experience and more diverse opinions.

We had a horrid experience in Dec 2013 to SRQ. Extremely poor service and poor crew were the main reasons. Even if only 2.5 hours approx and in Y, the issue wasn't the seat so much as these other items. Disney training and those crew hats were not going to convince me that this is what I wanted to fly.

In Jan 2017, I flew with YEG_SE4life to PHX in J on the 763. The seat was not comfortable, the cabin was cramped, but the service had deficiently improved and all of it was much better because of my travel buddy and because we were celebrating his 3MM.

I have done a number of Rouge 321 sectors to and from YQB this year, some up front, some in Y. For 1 hour, it was fine.

And thankfully, crew are more professional and look much better in the new uniforms.

Agree.

And that is the main reason rouge was invented and exists today. Huge savings to AC from salaries to cabin crew, among other things. As has been stated many times in the main rouge thread, it was never about being LOW COST to the pax, only low cost to AC. Which is fine.
Respectfully, there are also mainline flights with bad seats and poor crews The good vs bad percentage (on crews anyway) of course, may vary somewhat
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jc94

Respectfully, there are also mainline flights with bad seats and poor crews The good vs bad percentage (on crews anyway) of course, may vary somewhat
Absolutely. I've flown with some of the best crews AC has and a couple who I'm sure are the reason I hide under a blanket on AC 15. LOL

My use of the word "respectfully" was for the esteemed FTer @lcohen999.
lcohen999 and jc94 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Respectfully disagree.

Agree.

Oh, Rouge in the beginning was terrible. When many SEs knew the procedures better than the in-charge, it was concerning.

That said, it was 6 years ago when it started.

I do not see a ton of difference anymore (especially in Y) between mainline and rouge. I have done J a few times and it was about the same. Same omelette for breakfast, same style of service.

The gap isn't wide anymore
24left and DNAwizard like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
2 things:

1) I don't think I have ever questioned what the fuss is about. I merely share my experience.

2) People are voting with their wallets. That is why the airlines are going in this direction. A vote implies options. In this case, the wallets appear to be voting for it.
1) I didn't mean to point fingers. I meant to imply that some of the J folks don't understand the fuss, not all of them. Sorry. I worded it wrong.

2) Agreed. I know that the vast majority of travellers are voting with their wallets for the cheapest available seat, not the cheapest acceptable (to me) seat. Things will continue to get worse for the Y traveller.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Those who FOTSG have their own opinions when deciding choose rouge for their trip.
Having zero opinion is still having an opinion, I guess!

FOTSG Friend/Family of yyznomad: We booked our trip to *** on AC!
yyznomad: Is it Rouge?
FOTSG Friend/Family of yyznomad: Dunno Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Obviously, J pods are better than anything Rouge has, Except for the ratcheting and bag destroying bins in the 763, I've got no problem with that aircraft.

The crew makes the difference. All things considered, I've had better success with Rouge crews then Express crews.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Oh, Rouge in the beginning was terrible. When many SEs knew the procedures better than the in-charge, it was concerning.

That said, it was 6 years ago when it started.

I do not see a ton of difference anymore (especially in Y) between mainline and rouge. I have done J a few times and it was about the same. Same omelette for breakfast, same style of service.

The gap isn't wide anymore
Were you speaking about the gap between the seats, or the gap between the service? There is still a notable difference in the gap between the seats. It is much wider on mainline.
lcohen999 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
only a couple hundred segments.
So, what, you think that makes you their #1 customer or something?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
So, what, you think that makes you their #1 customer or something?
I would never make such a claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.