Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Different prices for different browsers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS

So I have been playing around with a J price ticket to LIS next summer....long story short I wanted lie flat to somewhere and then connect to avoid Rogue fir me and Mrs Cruzcap....so I’ve been looking at DUB then TAP to LIS. Over the last 2 weeks the price to DUB from YYZ ranged from $2300 to $1800...thought I was seeing things. So tonight it dropped back down to 1800..so I wanted to grab it ....was loooking on my IPad and decided to go to my main PC to print it out etc. Amazingly the fare there was 2300. So grabbed my IPad and finished it at 1800. Gets better. As I paid...the address for my card pre populated to an address I haven’t lived in in about 22 years. Sometimes AC IT is so much fun...but thanks for saving me $1000..will go a long way in Portugal....
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or different prices for different addresses?

Aquele endereco estava em Portugal?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by cruzcap
was loooking on my IPad and decided to go to my main PC to print it out etc. Amazingly the fare there was 2300. So grabbed my IPad and finished it at 1800.
Did you go into an incognito window and check pricing there?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Or you got far enough in the process on the iPad that it held two P seats, such that on your other computer could only see Z?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Or you got far enough in the process on the iPad that it held two P seats, such that on your other computer could only see Z?
Seats are now held out of inventory while booking? They haven't been in the past.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:38 pm
5mm
Suspended

+1
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Seats are now held out of inventory while booking? They haven't been in the past.
Different booking engines behave differently.

Aeroplan DEFINITELY does it, as it's where I've experienced it a bunch, and then have to wait 5-10 minutes for the space to open up again.

I don't know if AC.com does it, but there is a timer before you lose your session. At some point in the purchase process, it obviously has to put a hold on the space. It has to be before payment, or people would complain they were having charges for "sorry there's no availability" messages. The question is how much before payment?

It's a bad experience to pick the $1000 option on the search results, and then get through, only to be told, "sorry it's gone". It should be easy to test this. Just keep refreshing EF at every stage in the purchase process until P4 goes to P2.

I don't know if this happened here, but it's certainly possible.

And it's a lot more plausible than "we give discounts to iPad users".
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Different pricing for different browsers is a popular myth. Prices may look different in the search due to saved cookies (i.e. if you go through to book, they end up identical) or they may actually be different based on country selection (whether intended or IP-based). However, prices may differ via web vs mobile app channels sometimes.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:12 am

Basically multiple people searching tickets and the first search secures the lower fare/booking class.

The computer system holds it for X amount of time for a person to book it. If the customer does not book it, that fare expires and go back into the pool for others to choose.

Also keep in mind there may be other factors at play such as exchange rates, time n day of pricing, number of website visitors etc....
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:37 am
Original Poster

perhaps inventory affected it....but I watched the fare for weeks and it sure bounces around. For those paying your own flights it seems to pay to play the game ....I just tried it again on IPad. 500 less per ticket.....even closed the browser before going to main PC.....technology is our freind. Sometimes.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:59 am

1800 USD is 23xx CAD

What currency was your CC charged in?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

All CAD. I live in YYZ
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Fwiw I was tracking YVR-LHR and I used the same browser, no incognito mode, no clearing cookies. After about two weeks, price for tickets (always last 2 available at that price) suddenly dropped from 4100 constantly, do 2500. I purchased them. Since then, price has been 4100+. I don't know what happened that one day, but it convinced me to just keep checking, as opposed to trying incognito in a clean browser and VPN.
There appeared to have been no change in cabin space to prompt that drop. Ticket purchased about 10 weeks out.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Different booking engines behave differently.

Aeroplan DEFINITELY does it, as it's where I've experienced it a bunch, and then have to wait 5-10 minutes for the space to open up again.

I don't know if AC.com does it, but there is a timer before you lose your session. At some point in the purchase process, it obviously has to put a hold on the space. It has to be before payment, or people would complain they were having charges for "sorry there's no availability" messages. The question is how much before payment?

It's a bad experience to pick the $1000 option on the search results, and then get through, only to be told, "sorry it's gone". It should be easy to test this. Just keep refreshing EF at every stage in the purchase process until P4 goes to P2.

I don't know if this happened here, but it's certainly possible.

And it's a lot more plausible than "we give discounts to iPad users".
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Basically multiple people searching tickets and the first search secures the lower fare/booking class.

The computer system holds it for X amount of time for a person to book it. If the customer does not book it, that fare expires and go back into the pool for others to choose.
Aeroplan does this, but historically ac.com has not. I have had a nice fare disappear out from under me while trying to complete the purchase (yes, that was a very bad experience). I have also refreshed EF while going through the booking process and it has not taken the seats out of inventory, as visible to EF, until the booking has been completed all the way through to payment.

As far as I know, the timer on ac.com isn't holding the seats for you for that period of time (like Ticketmaster does), it's merely the amount of time you have before the page will time out on you and require you to restart the process.

It's possible that AC has changed this recently, but I'm more inclined to believe that there was a difference in prices between channels or that OP's devices were somehow resulting in AC seeing different points of sale and therefore pricing the ticket differently.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Aeroplan does this, but historically ac.com has not. I have had a nice fare disappear out from under me while trying to complete the purchase (yes, that was a very bad experience). I have also refreshed EF while going through the booking process and it has not taken the seats out of inventory, as visible to EF, until the booking has been completed all the way through to payment.
On a somewhat similar vein, I was booking a paid ticket on aircanada.com while on the phone with Aeroplan to get the same itinerary for my wife. Included a leg on LH which showed available in P and available on aeroplan. As soon as Aeroplan confirms availability, I buy my ticket on aircanada.com, while continuing with aeroplan on the phone. When coming to the pay part, I am told the LH leg is no longer valid.. So it would seem that it is not necessarily the case that the legs are blocked temporarily with aeroplan? At least not on the phone?

Eventually I gave up and confirmed it in Y. A week later, I needed to make changes to the Aeroplan ticket. Business had come back on that leg and they confirmed, in additions to the other changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.