Downgraded due to defective seats

Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 100K
Downgraded due to defective seats

Originally Posted by canadiancow
There were two defective seats in J. My friends sat in PY.
Speaking of 2 defective seats - - I was booked and confirmed 8 months ago for Lattitude e-Up for AC854 from YVR-LHR. . . Checked in 24 hours out - had seat (was puzzled as I was booked in 2K but ended up with 5D) - - Green checkmark on name. Then - the next day. while eating lunch on DOF, I decided for some reason to look at the app . . I nearly lost my lunch - - Why did I not have a green check any more? Also - Seat now shows as "GTE"?

So - Off to the airport I go. Ultimately, there were 2 defective seats so I was the one who was downgraded and put on J-SBY.

Long story short - - Really was downgraded. I have to trust that the order of the downgrade was correct and the others which did not lose the upgrade were at SE100 (2-3 others were also green check mark). Sat in 31G - - (Preferred seat but still - - ). Ultimately, you want to complain but ultimately it was just bad luck.

This was my first overseas economy flight in close to 20 years. If I didn't have to make it to London for a meeting - I would have declined to board . . . .

Crew were pretty nice about it and probably had some sympathy. I had an infant in the bassinet beside me, then 3 more babies within 2 rows and 6 more babies still within 10 rows. Sat beside the Lav - probably met the whole plane. And - finally - the food? wow !! What happened? It certainly has been downgraded since my last Y-Meal which was probably around 2002. I have to honestly say that it would be considered bad quality even in Prison.!!!

One thing I would say is that the seat was fairly comfortable and ultimately I did sleep for 2.5 hours.

Hopefully - never again!!!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Speaking of 2 defective seats - - I was booked and confirmed 8 months ago for Lattitude e-Up for AC854 from YVR-LHR. . . Checked in 24 hours out - had seat (was puzzled as I was booked in 2K but ended up with 5D) - - Green checkmark on name. Then - the next day. while eating lunch on DOF, I decided for some reason to look at the app . . I nearly lost my lunch - - Why did I not have a green check any more? Also - Seat now shows as "GTE"?

So - Off to the airport I go. Ultimately, there were 2 defective seats so I was the one who was downgraded and put on J-SBY.

Long story short - - Really was downgraded. I have to trust that the order of the downgrade was correct and the others which did not lose the upgrade were at SE100 (2-3 others were also green check mark). Sat in 31G - - (Preferred seat but still - - ). Ultimately, you want to complain but ultimately it was just bad luck.

This was my first overseas economy flight in close to 20 years. If I didn't have to make it to London for a meeting - I would have declined to board . . . .

Crew were pretty nice about it and probably had some sympathy. I had an infant in the bassinet beside me, then 3 more babies within 2 rows and 6 more babies still within 10 rows. Sat beside the Lav - probably met the whole plane. And - finally - the food? wow !! What happened? It certainly has been downgraded since my last Y-Meal which was probably around 2002. I have to honestly say that it would be considered bad quality even in Prison.!!!

One thing I would say is that the seat was fairly comfortable and ultimately I did sleep for 2.5 hours.

Wow - an upgrade confirmed 8 months earlier being revoked. That really sucks. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Was AC apologetic, either on the ground or after the fact? Did they do anything to "make it right"?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Wow - an upgrade confirmed 8 months earlier being revoked. That really sucks. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Was AC apologetic, either on the ground or after the fact? Did they do anything to "make it right"?
There is a set downgrade order. I think it either perfectly (or almost) matches the reverse of the opup list.

A confirmed upgrade is a confirmed upgrade, so I suspect an SE confirmed two days out would keep the upgrade while the E75K confirmed two months out would lose it.

I have mixed feelings on this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite

You have a lot of small children. Fortunately you were able to find folks to look after them, scattered all over the plane like that.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
You have a lot of small children. Fortunately you were able to find folks to look after them, scattered all over the plane like that.
OMG ! That is so funny!! LOL 😂
chebert999 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Plumber

OMG ! That is so funny!! LOL ��

I just reread it.
chebert999 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:46 pm

I thought in this type of situation, one would be treated as IDB with compensation.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I thought in this type of situation, one would be treated as IDB with compensation.
My understanding is that @zrh2yvr paid a Latitude fare. So he should get his eUps put back into his account.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
My understanding is that @zrh2yvr paid a Latitude fare. So he should get his eUps put back into his account.
I can confirm the amazing ability of AC's IT system to have already credited the Eup's . . . . Done automatically. Unfortunately - put back in account and expire Feb 2019 . .

Overall, it's just bad luck really. The main IRROP I always worried about when doing these upgrades was (i.e.) landing at LHR from ZRH and going to find out there was a cancellation and I've been re-routed on BA. Since the fare is Y-Class, you could only be confirmed in Y on the other airline. I am almost always flexible and can anticipate these things. Also - Assuming all the other 3 that still got their EUp were all SE100 - Then I have to commend AC on actually picking the right person to downgrade.

As for whether there was sympathy and help from the AC staff, they were quite good overall. Right from Checkin. I showed up and basically said "So - tell me what's up . . I know something's going on !!". They called around, everyone knew it was going on - I guess these things don't happen much and in some cases perhaps it goes ugly. When the downgrade had to be planned for, immediately the "best" Y-Seat was taken off the seat-map as a backup (31G - lots of room - was pretty decent), and all people were made aware of the situation including the SD and some crew. Ultimately, there were only a few things that I really needed and I was reasonable with my requests.

1.) Put my garment back and jacket in J-Closet - - simple thing to say yes to.
2.) I need a fast-track for LHR immigration (Of all the times I did not bring my stack of 20 unused ones - because I normally connect in LHR-ZRH and never need to land - this time being the first time ever - stopping in for 1 day meeting on Monday). No problem.
3.) LHR Arrivals lounge access - - Well - Had my original boarding pass so didn't really need to ask and since these IT systems don't talk - was no problem - scanned the J-Pass and all was fine!

I realize it's not part of this thread but truly the most shocking thing was the food - It is seriously completely a joke. I would not feed any of it to animals, pets let alone humans. It really makes the J-Meals look like 3-star Michelin . . . .

One final comment - the other thing that was a bit unfortunate was that the inbound coming from HKG was quite late - and this squeezed the turnaround time of the flight - which meant that there was basically no time for maintenance to go in and get at least one of the 2 seats fixed. I can only hope that the problem was more important than "Deflategate" or just an inop recline , ,

Happy flying everyone!!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:52 pm

I can confirm the amazing ability of AC's IT system to have already credited the Eup's . . . . Done automatically. Unfortunately - put back in account and expire Feb 2019 . .

Overall, it's just bad luck really. The main IRROP I always worried about when doing these upgrades was (i.e.) landing at LHR from ZRH and going to find out there was a cancellation and I've been re-routed on BA. Since the fare is Y-Class, you could only be confirmed in Y on the other airline. I am almost always flexible and can anticipate these things. Also - Assuming all the other 3 that still got their EUp were all SE100 - Then I have to commend AC on actually picking the right person to downgrade.

As for whether there was sympathy and help from the AC staff, they were quite good overall. Right from Checkin. I showed up and basically said "So - tell me what's up . . I know something's going on !!". They called around, everyone knew it was going on - I guess these things don't happen much and in some cases perhaps it goes ugly. When the downgrade had to be planned for, immediately the "best" Y-Seat was taken off the seat-map as a backup (31G - lots of room - was pretty decent), and all people were made aware of the situation including the SD and some crew. Ultimately, there were only a few things that I really needed and I was reasonable with my requests.

1.) Put my garment back and jacket in J-Closet - - simple thing to say yes to.
2.) I need a fast-track for LHR immigration (Of all the times I did not bring my stack of 20 unused ones - because I normally connect in LHR-ZRH and never need to land - this time being the first time ever - stopping in for 1 day meeting on Monday). No problem.
3.) LHR Arrivals lounge access - - Well - Had my original boarding pass so didn't really need to ask and since these IT systems don't talk - was no problem - scanned the J-Pass and all was fine!

I realize it's not part of this thread but truly the most shocking thing was the food - It is seriously completely a joke. I would not feed any of it to animals, pets let alone humans. It really makes the J-Meals look like 3-star Michelin . . . .

One final comment - the other thing that was a bit unfortunate was that the inbound coming from HKG was quite late - and this squeezed the turnaround time of the flight - which meant that there was basically no time for maintenance to go in and get at least one of the 2 seats fixed. I can only hope that the problem was more important than "Deflategate" or just an inop recline , ,

Happy flying everyone!!
it happened to me once as well. AC did the same, came back to commiserate, offered me champagne in a glass, and agree food inedible. They did offer a main from J as well when they looked at the meal I was given. I actually got a row of seats as not full (surrounding passengers gave me the eye a bit but FA told them blocked). In retrospect was better nights sleep than J in a deflataseat.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:12 am

The upgrade was confirmed at time of booking, not having to play aerolotto. That was the idea to purchase a Latitude fare and a perk of being an upper tier Altitude member.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The upgrade was confirmed at time of booking, not having to play aerolotto. That was the idea to purchase a Latitude fare and a perk of being an upper tier Altitude member.
I know. It sucks to get R (based on P) then have it yanked away, but s/he paid for Y and got Y. \_(ツ)_/
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know. It sucks to get R (based on P) and then have it yanked away. S/he paid for Y and got Y though. \_(ツ)_/
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know. It sucks to get R (based on P) and then have it yanked away. S/he paid for Y and got Y though. \_(ツ)_/
Happened to me on a latitude pass, about a year and a half ago. I have not bought one of these since. Just look for good P fares instead. With the advantages: 150% of miles, and allow for legs on other airlines. In the end, I don't really find I spend more.

I was very upset. (1) they were very inflexible about rebooking, only allowing within the conditions of the pass, which I don't think is correct. (2) Although the equipment change occurred a few days earlier, when I could easily made different arrangements, they waited until the night before to call me.

In the end, I cancelled, rebooked myself out of Rome on the next day, took the train to Rome and had dinner at my favorite place in Rome, Cuoco & Camisia.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note these posts on downgrades were carved out of the 'Standby and Upgrade List' thread to keep that thread on topic.

Regards,

tcook052
AC forum mod.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.