AC Fresh Fruit that is Frozen

Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canopus27
... and @24left was served a "February"
Maybe January?

I think February includes freezer burn.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC 126 YVR-YYZ red-eye - December 2018

The trip was a TPAC and this was the last flight back. I had ordered VOML for this trip.

The tray arrives.....

Honeydew and cantaloupe were frozen, and of course then thawed.

Not debating with anyone over whether this is still safe to eat, it's not pretty and it was not the texture of these fruit when not frozen.

Waiting for the RCHHMP to trott along....
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:26 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Looks mushy. Why even bother serving that?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eh, they heard you and thawed them this time. What more do you want?
PointWeasel and 24left like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Pretty greasy of AC to keep trying to pass off frozen fruit as "fresh." It's misleading advertising, at the very least ... fraudulent, to be more accurate. I wonder what Industry Canada wou;d say about that?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Pretty greasy of AC to keep trying to pass off frozen fruit as "fresh." It's misleading advertising, at the very least ... fraudulent, to be more accurate. I wonder what Industry Canada wou;d say about that?
I suspect that's not the real situation. It's just that the originally fresh fruit ended up left at freezing temperature for a while during storage or transportation. Ot that some fridge was set a bit lower than desireable. You know, nowadays they are so afraid people might get sick... Which might also be why the food is invariably overcooked or at least overreheated (although I think the real reason is that the crew is just too busy to take care of these minor details).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
They should install a blender and toss in with the yogurt to make a melon smoothie. My favourite flavour.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Late to this thread, probably because I was in a place in the world where people would gratefully accept and devour all food in each photo within the above posts. To be honest, so would I. Slightly-thawed melon mushiness or brown spots on a pineapple are not necessarily indicators of spoilage.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
If you repeatedly come across food you consider unfit for human consumption, why continue to fly AC? Especially TPAC there any many better alternatives.
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Yes, sometimes there are alternatives. Unfortunately, on some of the routes I fly, if I need a specific schedule or prefer a direct flight that saves me 5 hours+, I take AC. For example, PVG-YUL.
With the exception of YYZ-SFO, all routes flown by the OP (YYZ to FRA, HND, NRT, HKG, TPE etc) mentioned and recently described in this and other threads enjoy nonstop, high-quality service with alternate airlines.

Despite the opening line in this thread:
Originally Posted by 24left
This issue is one of those that is most irritating
I suspect it really isn't irritating enough to drop AC and accumulate miles elsewhere. Status really can be a golden handcuff.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by flyquiet
They should install a blender and toss in with the yogurt to make a melon smoothie. My favourite flavour.
​​​​​
Blender, LOL, yes. I imagine the serenity of those on the red-eye AC 126 being pleasantly received of their sleep by the sound of a blender in the galley.

Also, I ordered VOML, not Frozen VOML
flyquiet and smallmj like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
With the exception of YYZ-SFO, all routes flown by the OP (YYZ to FRA, HND, NRT, HKG, TPE etc) mentioned and recently described in this and other threads enjoy nonstop, high-quality service with alternate airlines.
Not to be pedantic but there is no nonstop flight from YYZ to NRT, and only AC flies nonstop YYZ-HND. YYZ-SFO actually does have nonstop on UA now but it doesn't meet your "high-quality" criteria
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
​​​​​
Blender, LOL, yes. I imagine the serenity of those on the red-eye AC 126 being pleasantly received of their sleep by the sound of a blender in the galley.

Also, I ordered VOML, not Frozen VOML
(Ah yes! Of course blenders don't make noise to me!)
Bohemian1 and smallmj like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:52 pm

Delete
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Not to be pedantic but there is no nonstop flight from YYZ to NRT, and only AC flies nonstop YYZ-HND. YYZ-SFO actually does have nonstop on UA now but it doesn't meet your "high-quality" criteria
Yes, I realized afterwards that Tokyo is not as well served from Toronto as I had thought. I stand corrected. Given that AC offers their icy-fruited Signature service between YYZ & SFO, perhaps the introduction of a Polaris product on that route might result in a (frozen) apples to (fresh) apples comparison.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
AC 126 YVR-YYZ red-eye - December 2018
Waiting for the RCHHMP to trott along....
Didn't take long did it LOL.
What I love about your photos is that even when they capture garbage, they are still beautiful. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the rotted display below. This was served by the FA who was oblivious to the rotted fruit and the deteriorated state of the melon. As is evident, the melon was bad. This was not an inadvertent error as the rot would have been evident at the caterer in Vancouver. If AC had some measure of quality control, this travesty and insult would have been picked up. This would never have been allowed on on JAL, BR, CX, SQ, ANA, or even a Lufthansa group member. At Air Canada, this is becoming the norm.

AC TPAC ex YVR

Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:03 am

Rotten fruit - maybe that explains the freezing. Nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.