Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC Fall Do - 3rd Annual Burgers & Scotch evening - December 8, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Calgary Fall AC FT Do - 3rd Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening

Date: Saturday, December 8th
Boarding Time: 18:00
Reservation is under Adam Smith

Current Availability - The Do is sold out.
J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 O0 E0 N0 R0 I0 Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0 X0
This Do is operated in an All-J+PY configuration like SQ's SIN-EWR flight.
​​​​​
Confirmed pax
Adam Smith +1
KDS777
YYC3722 +1
zone1boarding
folkart
King Chung Huang
canadiancow
AmericanBovine
yyznomad
10yroldsuperelite
rehoult
YEG_SE4Life
expert7700
Bohemian1
WR Cage +1 (early arrival and early departure)
nomadic.relief
BlondeBomber
SearsTower
cooleddie
HerpaYvr
24left - who doesn't love surprise guest appearances, lol

Signed up for EF alerts on Do availability, but not yet committed to the Do
​​​​​

Only come to Dos with T-shirts / don't like burgers or Scotch / committed to eating burgers and drinking Scotch elsewhere that night
Nitehawk
YHZTraveller (excuses may include having to go to TPA, or trying to avoid sleeping in the doghouse)

Important Event Notes - FAQ
  • Wait, isn't it winter in December in YYC?
    Technically it's still fall until December 21st, so I can still call this a fall Do. But yes, it's likely to be winter conditions. It's YYC in December, after all

• Don't you know it's Christmas party season, you jerk? No way I can get away / I won't be able to get a babysitter / it's possible that Uber will have surge pricing later in the evening.
    My Christmas party is the night before and I have no kids, so it works just fine for me

• Will I be able to enjoy a delectable menu with a flair for International cuisine, fine wines, and unequalled service?
    No. There will be no hockey puck beef. The pastas won't all have spinach. There will be great booze. And the service will be good. And no Random capital Letters (outside of this Sentence).

Important Event Notes (real ones this time!)
  • The burger and Scotch theme is purely optional. Those are the specialties of the restaurant, but you're free to have a salad and a diet Coke, fish and white wine or whatever floats your boat.
  • There will likely be a deal on some Scotch tasting flights - details TBD.
  • The Do host has not achieved Dorian's level of wealth and generosity. No T-shirts or other swag will be provided. Unless people want some AC pens, I have a bunch of those lying around. Or unless yyznomad shows up with some of his headphones and other goodies.
Print Wikipost

YYC Fall Do - 3rd Annual Burgers & Scotch evening - December 8, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
A big thanks to Adam for arranging this!

Great people, interesting chats and excellent libations - a great way to enjoy a cold Calgary night.

Looking forward to next year!
It was a great time!
I am surprised that anyone who has spent time on the prairies in the winter would consider that to be a cold night.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:58 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
It was a great time!
I am surprised that anyone who has spent time on the prairies in the winter would consider that to be a cold night.
Like I said last night, I took me almost no time at all to turn into a West Coast Wuss.

Happy Travels and Enjoy the Winter!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Also wanted to echo the thanks to @Adam Smith for organizing this and @BlondeBomber for the first drink!

I got a seat in the back mini-J cabin, but strangely enough we got our meal orders taken first.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Thanks for setting up a great event, as usual.

A smaller group of us continued until around 0230.

What flights are people on today?

We were considering the 1pm YYC-YVR but RM done goofed and J1'd it, but we're happy to switch to anything else that's at least J2 Y2.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:14 pm

Echoing the many thanks to Adam Smith for organising again! Remember to go back in May for the winter jacket fire sale.

Great to see everyone again and meet a couple new faces. Until next time, happy flying and may the miles accumulate in abundance!
Bohemian1 and 24left like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Great time and company at DO and post DO.

(the usual) 3 of are flying to DEN at 455pm for dinner @ Timberline restaurant during our 2.5hr connection. (always worth a Denver connect for this free meal and drinks).

any other FTers headed direct to US? We can guest 6 or 10, into the transborder priority pass lounge depending on the agent.

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 9, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Great meeting everyone last night

Adam great job as usual, much appreciative
Thank you for BlondeBomber for the first drink, very kind and festive of you

Great conversations and fellowship

I am too old to be with up until 02:30, was already in my warm bed sleeping away

Until the next time, you all take care and have a Wonderful Holiday Season. May you all be blessed and safe and with a terrific 2019
24left likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Also wanted to echo the thanks to @Adam Smith for organizing this and @BlondeBomber for the first drink!

I got a seat in the back mini-J cabin, but strangely enough we got our meal orders taken first.
And as I recall, the mini-J cabin was the first to receive some treats of the chocolate variety
King Chung Huang likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
As @yyznomad had promised, he brought AC menus, ear buds, amenity kits and such

For those of us who did not get to experience the gastronomic fare AC used to offer , it was really interesting to see some of the older menus

FWP Alert: not even remotely close to the J breakfasts I've had over the past 5 years

There was also a fun exchange going on between participants over the ear buds and pins that yyznomad brought

Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Just going to have to plan my own darn Do for sometime this spring so I can meet all you fine folk. I wanted badly to be there for this one but family is family and they came from afar.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:55 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Just going to have to plan my own darn Do for sometime this spring so I can meet all you fine folk. I wanted badly to be there for this one but family is family and they came from afar.
'Do' it!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
'Do' it!
Decision was already made over the last week as it truly bothered me to miss yet another.

Will be polling members early in the New Year for potential dates in late winter/early spring. Family growing again in April so will need to happen before then.

Going to leave it a few weeks though because many here are likely do'd out and everyone needs to focus on Christmas at the moment.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by 24left
And as I recall, the mini-J cabin was the first to receive some treats of the chocolate variety
Yes thanks for that (being in the main cabin however) and good to meet you at the do!

Always a treat to see some familiar faces in the ff world, rub shoulders with legends (young and older) and just generally have a good time discussing families, food, travel, politics and the ff world!

Safe travels wherever you are. Hope you got to miss the suspicious package at YYC this afternoon . . . .
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Always a treat to see some familiar faces in the ff world, rub shoulders with legends (young and older) and just generally have a good time discussing families, food, travel, politics and the ff world!
And it was very nice to finally meet you; a legend!

Thanks again to @Adam Smith for doing this. It was also great to see many other familiar faces.
@nomadic.relief gave away my @24left-provided Kit Kat to @cooleddie, but luckily there was another one for me.

Added: Also, thanks to @YEG_SE4Life for the ride to the DO and assisting with retrieving of my winter articles left in the MLL, and Mrs. @expert7700 for the ride back to YYC.
nomadic.relief likes this.

Last edited by yyznomad; Dec 11, 2018 at 3:17 am
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Sadly, I have to withdraw my confirmation.

Wife's Christmas party, which I get to miss because I now have to coach son #1's hockey game Saturday evening, along with recital for daughter Saturday aft. Oh and a day trip to BOS on Sunday to visit son #2 .....

Will have to share Glen Breton some other time....
REALLY happy I stayed home last weekend!!!!

Recital was postponed until this Saturday, I spent 3.5 hours of online pain upgrading my hockey safety course so that I could coach a hockey game that the other team decided not to show up for, and then I was able to go listen to my not so sober wife sing karaoke with her not so sober co-workers. Of course, day trip to BOS was also cancelled on Sunday.....

Grrrrrrrr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.