What will happen to 763 routes?

Old Nov 3, 18, 9:52 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YYC, Canada
Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Posts: 1,668
What will happen to 763 routes?

The 767s are on their way out and will be mostly retired (one frame left) by 2020. AC is bringing in 4 new A333s but they need refurb.

What will happen to the old 763 main line routes? Will they remain widebody or will we see replacement with 321s and 7M8 only?
YXUFlyboy is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 10:32 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,470
There are: YYC-NRT, YYZ-MXP, YOW-LHR. Then perhaps a few YUL and YYZ routes than have been going back and forth.

I suspect the first started with local YYC subsidy, all about getting tourists from Japan. Continued existence may well depend on continued subsidy.

MXP is not always 763. I would expect 788/789 or 333 eventually. Ditto for YOW-LHR.
Stranger is online now  
Old Nov 3, 18, 10:38 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: YYF/YLW
Programs: AS MVP/AC E50K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,902
YYZ-MAD is back to 767 service these days, which is unfortunate.
PointWeasel is online now  
Old Nov 3, 18, 1:14 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 837
...and let's not forget the seasonal YOW-FRA - which has been using a 767 most summers, except one year when they used an A330. MXP is reverting back to 788 service next summer. MAD is reverting to 789 service. Into next Fall, the only three routes that I see in the schedule using 767 services are YOW-LHR, YOW-FRA and YYC-NRT (other than domestic operations)
YOWCDNFF is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 1:55 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto - YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Posts: 5,526
Guessing that most 767 International Routes will transition to 788/789 from YYZ/YOW as most A330 routes will migrate to YUL. The 4-A330's being brought in will operate in a PY/Y configuration until refurbishment/makeover time. Thus far, it looks like YVR-DUB, YUL-DUB & YUL-ALG will get these birds.
YOWCDNFF and Jasper2009 like this.
ACYYZ/SD is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 1:59 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YYC, Canada
Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Posts: 1,668
They also run on YYC-YYZ transcons; I can see us losing signature on this route.
YXUFlyboy is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 2:40 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 837
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
Guessing that most 767 International Routes will transition to 788/789 from YYZ/YOW as most A330 routes will migrate to YUL. The 4-A330's being brought in will operate in a PY/Y configuration until refurbishment/makeover time. Thus far, it looks like YVR-DUB, YUL-DUB & YUL-ALG will get these birds.
My read as well. I think that the fear in YOW is that traffic/yield on LHR combined with general aircraft availability may mean a 7M8 on a go forward basis - or at least maybe on a seasonal basis.
YOWCDNFF is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 3:10 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 3,272
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
There are: YYC-NRT, YYZ-MXP, YOW-LHR. Then perhaps a few YUL and YYZ routes than have been going back and forth.

I suspect the first started with local YYC subsidy, all about getting tourists from Japan. Continued existence may well depend on continued subsidy.

MXP is not always 763. I would expect 788/789 or 333 eventually. Ditto for YOW-LHR.
Isn't YYZ-MXP seasonal and 788 in high season? It was a 78x when I flew that route in spring 2018.
ridefar is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 5:25 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC E50K (*G), NEXUS
Posts: 639
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
They also run on YYC-YYZ transcons; I can see us losing signature on this route.
Not if YYC-NRT is continued post-763 retirement since this flight originates in YYZ as AC 009. But as discussed here before this route seems to be marginal so a jump in capacity to the 788 or 330 may be too much.
marke190 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 5:26 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: ord
Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Posts: 365
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
The 767s are on their way out and will be mostly retired (one frame left) by 2020. AC is bringing in 4 new A333s but they need refurb.

What will happen to the old 763 main line routes? Will they remain widebody or will we see replacement with 321s and 7M8 only?
What will happen to the 767 that fly for Rouge? Some of these planes must also be ready for expensive checks AC wont pay for. Perhaps AC can pick up WestJets 767?
mellon is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 6:38 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: YXE
Posts: 3,050
Originally Posted by mellon View Post
What will happen to the 767 that fly for Rouge? Some of these planes must also be ready for expensive checks AC wont pay for. Perhaps AC can pick up WestJets 767?
The Rouge planes were deliberately selected to be the best of the fleet, hence receiving upgrades like winglets. But eventually their time will come as well. I suspect Rouge, like Tango and Zip, will eventually just fade away. As it stands, there is very little difference in product between Rouge and Mainline, unlike the situation when Rouge just started in which many recoiled at the horrors of the infamous 777HD whose standards have been adopted across the rest of the refurbished or newly delivered fleet. An economic downturn, probably already in progress (due to collapsing housing markets) probably will give AC's management enough cover to re-negotiate a uniform contract across the entire fleet. Alternatively, if the economy gets better, the unions will kill Rouge off.
pitz is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 6:41 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Body in YYZ, heart in YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,439
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
Guessing that most 767 International Routes will transition to 788/789 from YYZ/YOW as most A330 routes will migrate to YUL. The 4-A330's being brought in will operate in a PY/Y configuration until refurbishment/makeover time. Thus far, it looks like YVR-DUB, YUL-DUB & YUL-ALG will get these birds.
I think I'd rather have the 330 than the 788/789. Just always been a fan of the big bus.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Symmetre is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 7:39 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC E50K (*G), NEXUS
Posts: 639
Originally Posted by pitz View Post
The Rouge planes were deliberately selected to be the best of the fleet, hence receiving upgrades like winglets.
I have always wondered why some of the Rouge 763s didn't get the winglet upgrade
marke190 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 8:28 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 13,522
Originally Posted by mellon View Post
What will happen to the 767 that fly for Rouge? Some of these planes must also be ready for expensive checks AC wont pay for. Perhaps AC can pick up WestJets 767?
Rouge got the "younger" 763's (average fleet age is 22 years). AC will probably fly them for another 7 or so years and then replace them by being a launch customer for the Boeing NMA if/when it is officially launched (likely delivery in 2026/2027). If that plane doesn't happen, then Rouge might get a combination of 768's and 321ULR.
The Lev is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 9:28 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto - YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Posts: 5,526
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
Isn't YYZ-MXP seasonal and 788 in high season? It was a 78x when I flew that route in spring 2018.
Like FCO, MXP is going year-round with a brief interruption period in January/February. While not a Star hub, MXP has great onward and reasonable connections with EasyJet.
ACYYZ/SD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: