Wiki Posts
Search

What will happen to 763 routes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35k
What will happen to 763 routes?

The 767s are on their way out and will be mostly retired (one frame left) by 2020. AC is bringing in 4 new A333s but they need refurb.

What will happen to the old 763 main line routes? Will they remain widebody or will we see replacement with 321s and 7M8 only?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are: YYC-NRT, YYZ-MXP, YOW-LHR. Then perhaps a few YUL and YYZ routes than have been going back and forth.

I suspect the first started with local YYC subsidy, all about getting tourists from Japan. Continued existence may well depend on continued subsidy.

MXP is not always 763. I would expect 788/789 or 333 eventually. Ditto for YOW-LHR.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
YYZ-MAD is back to 767 service these days, which is unfortunate.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
...and let's not forget the seasonal YOW-FRA - which has been using a 767 most summers, except one year when they used an A330. MXP is reverting back to 788 service next summer. MAD is reverting to 789 service. Into next Fall, the only three routes that I see in the schedule using 767 services are YOW-LHR, YOW-FRA and YYC-NRT (other than domestic operations)
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Guessing that most 767 International Routes will transition to 788/789 from YYZ/YOW as most A330 routes will migrate to YUL. The 4-A330's being brought in will operate in a PY/Y configuration until refurbishment/makeover time. Thus far, it looks like YVR-DUB, YUL-DUB & YUL-ALG will get these birds.
YOWCDNFF and Jasper2009 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35k
They also run on YYC-YYZ transcons; I can see us losing signature on this route.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Guessing that most 767 International Routes will transition to 788/789 from YYZ/YOW as most A330 routes will migrate to YUL. The 4-A330's being brought in will operate in a PY/Y configuration until refurbishment/makeover time. Thus far, it looks like YVR-DUB, YUL-DUB & YUL-ALG will get these birds.
My read as well. I think that the fear in YOW is that traffic/yield on LHR combined with general aircraft availability may mean a 7M8 on a go forward basis - or at least maybe on a seasonal basis.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stranger
There are: YYC-NRT, YYZ-MXP, YOW-LHR. Then perhaps a few YUL and YYZ routes than have been going back and forth.

I suspect the first started with local YYC subsidy, all about getting tourists from Japan. Continued existence may well depend on continued subsidy.

MXP is not always 763. I would expect 788/789 or 333 eventually. Ditto for YOW-LHR.
Isn't YYZ-MXP seasonal and 788 in high season? It was a 78x when I flew that route in spring 2018.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
They also run on YYC-YYZ transcons; I can see us losing signature on this route.
Not if YYC-NRT is continued post-763 retirement since this flight originates in YYZ as AC 009. But as discussed here before this route seems to be marginal so a jump in capacity to the 788 or 330 may be too much.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
The 767s are on their way out and will be mostly retired (one frame left) by 2020. AC is bringing in 4 new A333s but they need refurb.

What will happen to the old 763 main line routes? Will they remain widebody or will we see replacement with 321s and 7M8 only?
What will happen to the 767 that fly for Rouge? Some of these planes must also be ready for expensive checks AC wont pay for. Perhaps AC can pick up WestJets 767?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by mellon
What will happen to the 767 that fly for Rouge? Some of these planes must also be ready for expensive checks AC wont pay for. Perhaps AC can pick up WestJets 767?
The Rouge planes were deliberately selected to be the best of the fleet, hence receiving upgrades like winglets. But eventually their time will come as well. I suspect Rouge, like Tango and Zip, will eventually just fade away. As it stands, there is very little difference in product between Rouge and Mainline, unlike the situation when Rouge just started in which many recoiled at the horrors of the infamous 777HD whose standards have been adopted across the rest of the refurbished or newly delivered fleet. An economic downturn, probably already in progress (due to collapsing housing markets) probably will give AC's management enough cover to re-negotiate a uniform contract across the entire fleet. Alternatively, if the economy gets better, the unions will kill Rouge off.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I think I'd rather have the 330 than the 788/789. Just always been a fan of the big bus.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by pitz
The Rouge planes were deliberately selected to be the best of the fleet, hence receiving upgrades like winglets.
I have always wondered why some of the Rouge 763s didn't get the winglet upgrade
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by mellon
Rouge got the "younger" 763's (average fleet age is 22 years). AC will probably fly them for another 7 or so years and then replace them by being a launch customer for the Boeing NMA if/when it is officially launched (likely delivery in 2026/2027). If that plane doesn't happen, then Rouge might get a combination of 768's and 321ULR.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by ridefar
Isn't YYZ-MXP seasonal and 788 in high season? It was a 78x when I flew that route in spring 2018.
Like FCO, MXP is going year-round with a brief interruption period in January/February. While not a Star hub, MXP has great onward and reasonable connections with EasyJet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.