Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

upgrade procedure AC33 YYZ-SYD vs. YVR-SYD vs. YYZ-YVR

Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

Just wondering whether anyone happens to know how AC processes upgrades on AC33 YYZ-SYD vs. YVR-SYD vs. YYZ-YVR?

Are there three separate upgrade lists? And how are they processed?

I seem to recall a discussion several years ago where the general consensus seemed to be that upgrade odds for YYZ-SYD were much better than YVR-SYD since anyone departing ex-YYZ woul get cleared before any remaining J seats (if any) were given to the pax ex-YVR. Is that still true? Or does AC "reserve" some seats for those pax departing YVR?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just wondering whether anyone happens to know how AC processes upgrades on AC33 YYZ-SYD vs. YVR-SYD vs. YYZ-YVR?

I seem to recall a discussion several years ago where the general consensus seemed to be that upgrade odds for YYZ-SYD were much better than YVR-SYD since anyone departing ex-YYZ woul get cleared before any remaining J seats (if any) were given to the pax ex-YVR. Is that still true? Or does AC "reserve" some seats for those pax departing YVR?
What you quote used to be the case, but based on my recent experience, it's 3 separate flights and lists. The key issue is that to be upgraded YYZ-SYD there HAS to be through seat available. If you miss out in YYZ due to the YYZ-YVR competition, it is IMPOSSIBLE to be upgraded YVR-SYD once you leave YYZ- even if it's R9 from YVR. As noted in a previous thread, if you want to leave your options open, DO NOT book AC 33 right through, or insist that the YYZ agents break your trip into 2 parts - not sure how that's done, but most YYZ agents have no idea why it's necessary. The staff in SYD know exactly what to do and understand the reverse issue.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fin 645
What you quote used to be the case, but based on my recent experience, it's 3 separate flights and lists. The key issue is that to be upgraded YYZ-SYD there HAS to be through seat available. If you miss out in YYZ due to the YYZ-YVR competition, it is IMPOSSIBLE to be upgraded YVR-SYD once you leave YYZ- even if it's R9 from YVR. As noted in a previous thread, if you want to leave your options open, DO NOT book AC 33 right through, or insist that the YYZ agents break your trip into 2 parts - not sure how that's done, but most YYZ agents have no idea why it's necessary. The staff in SYD know exactly what to do and understand the reverse issue.
Good point about not being able to request an upgrade on only YVR-SYD if one books the direct flight YYZ(-YVR)-SYD.

I'm currently booked ex-YVR, so I'm much more concerned about pax ex-YYZ snagging all the remaining J seats. It's currently showing J5 for YYZ-SYD and YVR-SYD (and J6 YYZ-YVR)..

The thought of spending 15h in PE on a 77L really scares me.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Good point about not being able to request an upgrade on only YVR-SYD if one books the direct flight YYZ(-YVR)-SYD.

I'm currently booked ex-YVR, so I'm much more concerned about pax ex-YYZ snagging all the remaining J seats. It's currently showing J5 for YYZ-SYD and YVR-SYD (and J6 YYZ-YVR)..

Yeah and AC agents in YYZ and YVR like to play pass the hot potato in terms of people willing to pay $$$$ for a. LMU as well.

I think you mean spending 15h in *AC* PE on a 77L right? Face mask and ear plugs/nc earphones is my plan for future pond PE trips. And if AC, maybe an edible snack. Just eat it before landing in SYD.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
This is useful to know ... and if true, then it's certainly a change because about 3-4 years ago I did exactly what you describe - the yyz-yvr leg did not clear, but the concierge came and found me in the lounge in yvr because the yvr-syd leg did clear.

You say that's not possible anymore?

Any more details on exactly what it would mean to break the leg into two? Does this mean creating two separate PNRs, or something else?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
It goes

YYZ-SYD, then YYZ-YVR and finally YVR-SYD

in that order

and of course, if YYZ-SYD is J0 and YYZ-YVR is J9, if you are wait-listed the whole way, they will not clear you in YYZ. If the segments are broken up, they will.

Of course, not everyone boarding in YYZ upgrading to J will go onward to SYD. So it may be J5 (YYZ) and J6 (YVR) and when 33 leaves YYZ, it becomes J2 (YYZ) and J3 (YVR)

You get the idea..

As a rule of thumb, your best chance in getting the upgrade is starting in YYZ...but they do release more Rs from YVR for this same reason.

This route AC tries to balance it as it is high demand and two major hubs.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Now I want to know...why the face mask and where do you get one?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:43 am

I just booked 33/38 and I am lacking in eupgrades (plus the outbound is J0)

That said, I've done 33 in the old 777 Y and it was no fun, even with the emergency exit row.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lcohen999
It goes

YYZ-SYD, then YYZ-YVR and finally YVR-SYD

in that order

and of course, if YYZ-SYD is J0 and YYZ-YVR is J9, if you are wait-listed the whole way, they will not clear you in YYZ. If the segments are broken up, they will.

Of course, not everyone boarding in YYZ upgrading to J will go onward to SYD. So it may be J5 (YYZ) and J6 (YVR) and when 33 leaves YYZ, it becomes J2 (YYZ) and J3 (YVR)

You get the idea..

As a rule of thumb, your best chance in getting the upgrade is starting in YYZ...but they do release more Rs from YVR for this same reason.

This route AC tries to balance it as it is high demand and two major hubs.
I suspect that status plays a role also, ie, an SE YYZ-YVR will go ahead of an E50 (me) YYZ-SYD. But when you know that it's J9 R9 YVR-SYD, and the YYZ agent assures you that the YYZ waitlist transfers to YVR (as it used to), and in YVR they tell you that you are on no lists, it hurts. The YVR agents tried very hard to find a way to do it, but AC did not want my copay. The most startling aspect was that ground staff from the duty manager down would not process an upgrade for fear of retribution, and in fact, the help desk told one agent that she would be fired if she did. Quite the eye opener!

Do you know exactly what to ask be done before departure from YYZ re splitting the segments? As I indicated earlier, SYD concierges at least know exactly how to do it, and do so proactively. But I gather they have had no success in getting AC to educated YYZ agents on handling the issue.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:39 am

I suspect that status plays a role also, ie, an SE YYZ-YVR will go ahead of an E50 (me) YYZ-SYD. But when you know that it's J9 R9 YVR-SYD, and the YYZ agent assures you that the YYZ waitlist transfers to YVR (as it used to), and in YVR they tell you that you are on no lists, it hurts. The YVR agents tried very hard to find a way to do it, but AC did not want my copay. The most startling aspect was that ground staff from the duty manager down would not process an upgrade for fear of retribution, and in fact, the help desk told one agent that she would be fired if she did. Quite the eye opener!

Do you know exactly what to ask be done before departure from YYZ re splitting the segments? As I indicated earlier, SYD concierges at least know exactly how to do it, and do so proactively. But I gather they have had no success in getting AC to educated YYZ agents on handling the issue.
To be honest, I am not sure. This is a weird flight. It was my understanding that they should clear all SYDs before YVRs but perhaps, it goes status/location first. So SEs to SYD, SEs to YVR, E75s to SYD, etc.

The wait-list should definitely transfer over. It used to for me when my SYDs upgrades didn't clear in YYZ. That said, the YVR concierges are usually very good at managing this (I know it did not help in your situation) but every since they stopped having them run the MLL for the Australian flights, that has probably changed.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:41 am

I would say if you wanted to split segments, if you see positive R ex YVR, split ahead of time and upgrade then. Then waitlist for YYZ-YVR. I have always contemplated doing it but never actually have done it.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa

I hope I'm not missing something here but when u try and upgrade using eupgrades on this itin I'm guessing your entire flight by segment appears. YYZ-YVR and then YVR-SYD with a confirmation or waitlist. I tried to upgrade our SCL-YYZ-YVR from O to P last week and the YYZ-YVR was confirmed immediately (to my great surprise!) but we are waitlisted from SCL-YYZ. Ideally if I had to choose between a 10.5hr flight in SS or a 5.5hr, then the the first one would be preferable to me. Have u been given this choice or is it the fact that the 33 is a 2 sector, same aircraft, service which doesn't give u that option?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
I hope I'm not missing something here but when u try and upgrade using eupgrades on this itin I'm guessing your entire flight by segment appears. YYZ-YVR and then YVR-SYD with a confirmation or waitlist. I tried to upgrade our SCL-YYZ-YVR from O to P last week and the YYZ-YVR was confirmed immediately (to my great surprise!) but we are waitlisted from SCL-YYZ. Ideally if I had to choose between a 10.5hr flight in SS or a 5.5hr, then the the first one would be preferable to me. Have u been given this choice or is it the fact that the 33 is a 2 sector, same aircraft, service which doesn't give u that option?
(bolding mine)

Exactly that. If you're booked on AC33 YYZ(-YVR)-SYD, you're only given the option to request an upgrade for the entire YYZ-SYD leg.

But that's only an issue if J YVR-SYD >> J YYZ-SYD.

The much more interesting question IMO is whether there are indeed three different upgrade lists and how they are related to each other.

E.g.

1) Would an E50K trying to upgrade from Flex to J on AC33 YYZ-SYD trump a SE trying to upgrade from PE to J YYZ-YVR (which would presumably be the case if AC processes the YYZ-SYD upgrade list before the YYZ-YVR upgrade list, as suggested above)?
2) Does AC process everyone on the waitlist for AC33 YYZ-SYD, thereby decreasing the odds of an upgrade for those ex-YVR to next to zero? Or does it "manually" hold back some J seats on YVR-SYD and as a result gives preference to some pax trying to upgrade YYZ-YVR only vs. YYZ-SYD?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Wings100
Now I want to know...why the face mask and where do you get one?
Slightly o/t but relevant if your upgrade fails. Used to block light. AC is terrible at turning lights off in non-J red eyes ime. And their amenity kit face masks are poor.

I went off a recommendation here but haven’t actually had a change to try it out on a long haul yet...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M9BC1M8/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M9BC1M8/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My understanding (i.e. I could be wrong) was that there were two onload lists.

One for 33 departing YYZ, and one for 33 departing YVR.

Beyond that, they're processed as normal. An SE flying YYZ-YVR has priority over an E75K flying YYZ-SYD, because the destination isn't taken into account for any of this, beyond actually securing space.

Additionally, you can't actually pull up the list for 33 ex-YVR until 33 departs from YYZ (easy to verify in the app - it will show blank until 33 ex-YYZ is PD).

Needless to say, these direct flights are a pain in the butt to deal with, and I would never recommend booking one. Take an earlier YYZ-YVR, avoid these issues, and as an added bonus, earn more miles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.