Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

upgrade procedure AC33 YYZ-SYD vs. YVR-SYD vs. YYZ-YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade procedure AC33 YYZ-SYD vs. YVR-SYD vs. YYZ-YVR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by jc94

Slightly o/t but relevant if your upgrade fails. Used to block light. AC is terrible at turning lights off in non-J red eyes ime. And their amenity kit face masks are poor.
I'm impressed with the 'new' face masks introduced this year as part of the Signature (International) service.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Needless to say, these direct flights are a pain in the butt to deal with, and I would never recommend booking one. Take an earlier YYZ-YVR, avoid these issues, and as an added bonus, earn more miles
The risk you run taking two different flights is you are now only processed after the YYZ flight has left.

If it was J6 YYZ-SYD and YVR-SYD and 6 people upgraded out of YYZ, it is J0 and you are out of luck.

Starting at the beginning is a better way to secure your seat.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999
The risk you run taking two different flights is you are now only processed after the YYZ flight has left.

If it was J6 YYZ-SYD and YVR-SYD and 6 people upgraded out of YYZ, it is J0 and you are out of luck.

Maybe, but you're fighting against all the SEs on high fares trying to upgrade a commuter route (YYZ-YVR). Out of YVR, it's no longer a commuter route.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:10 pm

Maybe, but you're fighting against all the SEs on high fares trying to upgrade a commuter route (YYZ-YVR). Out of YVR, it's no longer a commuter route.
Not really

They clear YYZ-SYD before YYZ-YVR on that route.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Not really

Are you sure? (not questioning you, just looking for reliable information).

If so, an E50K trying to upgrade YYZ-SYD from Flex to J would presumably trump a SE trying to upgrade YYZ-YVR PE to J?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

If so, an E50K trying to upgrade YYZ-SYD from Flex to J would presumably trump a SE trying to upgrade YYZ-YVR PE to J?
I can only tell you my experience as SE.

So it is possible, they take all SEs, sort first by destination then status, or simply status

When I used to upgrade this route as a 50K, there was much more R on this route
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: *G
My understanding (i.e. I could be wrong) was that there were two onload lists.

One for 33 departing YYZ, and one for 33 departing YVR.

Beyond that, they're processed as normal. An SE flying YYZ-YVR has priority over an E75K flying YYZ-SYD, because the destination isn't taken into account for any of this, beyond actually securing space.

Additionally, you can't actually pull up the list for 33 ex-YVR until 33 departs from YYZ (easy to verify in the app - it will show blank until 33 ex-YYZ is PD).

Needless to say, these direct flights are a pain in the butt to deal with, and I would never recommend booking one. Take an earlier YYZ-YVR, avoid these issues, and as an added bonus, earn more miles
Based on my most recent experience, this is the most logical explanation I have seen (Bolding mine)

Again, based on my experience, I guess that could happen, but I faced J9R9 ex YVR and could not upgrade as a YYZ pax. YVR pax had tons of space available.

Not really

They absolutely do not. Status plays a very big role, and as stated also, the SE heavy load on YYZ-YVR clearly have priority over lesser status YYZ-SYD pax.

Highly unlikely. I would also love to know exactly how it works. It will always be a chess game trying to upgrade, but not being able to when I qualify and space is available is infuriating.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by fin 645; Nov 4, 2018 at 8:04 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Not really

I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Again, my understanding is that 33 ex-YYZ has one onload list. It's sorted by cabin, status, fare class.

Your destination isn't factored into the priority.

It does matter if YVR-SYD is J0 though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.