Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

United (domestic US) award on Aeroplan - does $75 same day change apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

I booked a United award on Aeroplan, in part because I did not then have to pay the extra fee United charges for close-in award booking.

However, I would like to get an earlier return flight than the one I booked. Does the fact that this is an Aeroplan reward affect my eligibility for either same day change or same day standby in any way? (Return flight is currently TUL-IAH-SEA on Nov. 6 - ideally, I'd like to change to a very early TUL-DEN-SEA routing, but otherwise, I'd like to get an earlier IAH flight).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I booked a United award on Aeroplan, in part because I did not then have to pay the extra fee United charges for close-in award booking.

However, I would like to get an earlier return flight than the one I booked. Does the fact that this is an Aeroplan reward affect my eligibility for either same day change or same day standby in any way? (Return flight is currently TUL-IAH-SEA on Nov. 6 - ideally, I'd like to change to a very early TUL-DEN-SEA routing, but otherwise, I'd like to get an earlier IAH flight).
No, the same-day change fees listed on the AC website only apply to flights operated by AC.

UA has its own policies for same-day changes and standby (though I'm not exactly sure from the top of my head what they are for partner airline award tickets)
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:18 pm

There is no published policy with respect to changing non-AC redemptions, so the assumption should be made that your ticket is only valid for travel on the actually ticketed flight in the actual class of service unless IRROPs exist. And is literally worthless otherwise.

My personal albeit very limited experience is that United applies the same policies to AC/AP tickets as they do to UA/MP tickets operationally, ie: they are indistinguishable in their IT systems (absent further digging), but staff definitely know that you are on reward travel.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
Are your flight on UA metal? If so UA policy apply and SDC is available for 75$ change fee. I've done that before but not on an award. Should be the same tho. You can do it yourself on the UA app, online, at kiosk, with an agent, on the phone. There is a thread on UA that explains everything.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
You need availability in your booked fare class in order to SDC flights on UA metal, i.e. X class. It'd be better to just pay the $100 Aeroplan change fee...
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Santander
You need availability in your booked fare class in order to SDC flights on UA metal, i.e. X class. It'd be better to just pay the $100 Aeroplan change fee...
How about standby?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Santander
It is not a given, but UA is pretty good about opening up most available fare classes within the 24 hour window so having change options is common.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
There isn't any reason the $75 same day change fee wouldn't apply that I have ever seen as long as there's space. At check in you should get options to take an earlier flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.