Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Worst Airline Experience with Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst Airline Experience with Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Eltham

Sounds like you haven’t flown much over the 50 years, and never in premium classes. Perhaps broader travel experiences would provide you with a more balanced view. I have enjoyed some excellent meals in Business and First.
Same, while I havent even been around anywhere close to for as long as the poster has been flying, in the last 15 years, I have enjoyed great J/F meals on planes as well, even with Delta for a North American carrier. All I ask for economy is to be edible. Sadly AC fails even that.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Radha CR
Just to clarify, I had changed the meal option from JML to AVML at T-36 not at T-18, and yes, my parents were served a JML (the meal that I had ordered when I bought the round trip ticket). I suspect that once you've selected a meal on a ticket you are stuck with it on both legs of your journey and their system doesnt allow any updates later. Had the customer rep informed me that they were going to be served a JML, I would have understood (though a little frustrated) but wouldnt have been worried that my parents wouldnt have got any suitable food, neither would I have written this post. But she had no knowledge of this and continually insisted that a spcl meal was never ordered.

Agree I'm not a frequent flyer and that all other airlines probably provide equally bad experiences. But why do you experienced frequent flyers normalize the bad customer experience?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some airlines don't permit one to order special meals for only some segments: it must be the same special meal (or no special meal at all) for every flight on the same itinerary that offers special meals. This might be why you were unable to change from JML to AVML after the outbound was flown.
I've had one SPML on the outbound and a different one on the return on AC. So it's definitely possible.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some airlines don't permit one to order special meals for only some segments: it must be the same special meal (or no special meal at all) for every flight on the same itinerary that offers special meals. This might be why you were unable to change from JML to AVML after the outbound was flown.
Assuming that's the case (which I doubt), someone should have been able to explain...

OTOH "worst airline experience" should quite a bit excessive. Happens every day that some special meal does not get loaded.

Plus, airline meals being what they how much of a loss is this?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Smile

Sounds like you haven’t flown much over the 50 years, and never in premium classes. Perhaps broader travel experiences would provide you with a more balanced view. I have enjoyed some excellent meals in Business and First.
I have enjoyed some great meals as well, and definitely some excellent beverages!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I'm amazed that people are still complaining about food on aircraft.

I've been flying for over 50 years and since pretty much day one, realized that 'rubber chicken' is what to expect on any airline. By 'rubber chicken', I mean that all airline food is rarely beyond bland and barely edible. I cannot remember the last time I ate any of the main course dishes on any airline. The odd snack item, pick at the salad or desert, that's about it for me and has been as I say since pretty much day one. I have ZERO expectations when it comes to airline food and don't understand why anyone who has flown more than a couple of times in their life would not have the same expectations.

When I fly, I either go without eating or bring my own food on board. That's the only sensible answer there is to airline food.

Ha ha...I remember travelling with my parents back in the 'old days' of the 1970s as a very young pup, having stewards carving roast beef in premium class.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Wings100
I have empathy for the OP. And, 14 hours fasting is difficult especially for an elderly couple.
Fasting in old age is not a problem because of old age, but rather due to poor diet or a medical condition.

Additionally, one’s digestive system practically shuts down up in the air.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
So just to confirm,,, they and their bags arrived on time and they were served the special meal you ordered for them at the outset?
Perhaps you glossed over the detailed portions of the post in which the OP stated all the interventions that had to occur in order to achieve the bare minimum of bags and meals being assigned to the correct traveler. The outcome was successful not because of AC's efforts, but in spite of them.
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I don't blame AC when I am rudely treated at the transfer desk in PEK, or am hassled in IST or bullied at LAX. It's just the way they are in those places.
It's not "just the way they are" in any of those places. If one finds themselves being treated rudely, hassled or bullied all across the globe, the common denominator is likely the source of the strife.
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
The more you travel the more you realise that these things are just part of the "joys" of travel.
I could write a book of travel misadventures I have experienced over the years. It is what it is.
Yes sure, but this isn't off the beaten path travel we're discussing. Flying between major cities on global airlines has become such a routine, mundane experience that one would be forgiven to expect that in 2018, issues of abysmal customer service and failing IT would be an exceedingly rare phenomenon at best.
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
This isn't "worst airline experience", this is "slightly mildly disappointed experience" in my eyes.
This experience wasn't viewed from your eyes.
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Sensational title, click-bait style.
The OP may well have had handed their worst airline experience so far by Air Canada (I'm assuming you read the opening sentence of the original post), and if that's the case, the title is accurate. It doesn't compare to anybody's prior experiences except the poster's herself.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

The OP may well have had handed their worst airline experience so far by Air Canada (I'm assuming you read the opening sentence of the original post), and if that's the case, the title is accurate. It doesn't compare to anybody's prior experiences except the poster's herself.
Ah, semantics... Technically the title could be interpreted that way, but (1) somehow I don't think that's what the OP meant and (2) that's not what most people will read into it.

Ayway, just our of hospital after three days makes airline food look good.
Plumber and Plumber like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by yulred
AI notwithstanding, customer service in India is generally better than anything in North America. 9W, Vistara, Indigo are generally good at customer service (and recovery). Mostly because it's a very competitive market. LH and BA actually ended up providing their staff with India-specific training, and it wasn't aimed at making them worse.

AirlineTrends » How Lufthansa and British Airways are competing with Emirates on Indian routes

That said, when it comes to staff, you get what you pay for in India. And with AC's track record on cutting costs...

Also, I wouldn't recommend buying fruits for NA-bound flights. Some lady got into serious trouble for showing up in the US with a DL-provided apple from France. CBSA could also kick up a stink if they accidentally entered the country with it, and elderly people can be forgetful about these minor things.

But yeah, fly an ME3 (who evidently manage to price dump and be more expensive than AC at the same time - middle eastern magic) EU or Asian airline next time (the SQ option would be ridiculously long for YYZ - South India). I imagine BLR-BOM-YYZ is one of the shorter routings so would command a premium. But maybe it's the cheapest. Who knows.
The root cause of this is the OP's claim that the check in agent in YYZ did not respond to the demand for a specific meal on the return flight and this is followed by an allegation of poor customer service. Perhaps it is best if someone were to explain to the OP that the airline states that If you have already completed your online booking: Contact Air Canada Reservations to request your special meal
I don't know where the OP made the contact, but common sense holds that if an individual CSR is incapable of handling a request, you end the call, and wait a bit and then try again and keep trying until you get someone who knows. This holds for any customer service situation where one would consider the response inadequate.

An airline ex-India to Canada has no obligation to provide a specific type of meal to a passenger. None. Nada. Zippo. Even when there is an offer to try and accommodate the dietary needs of passengers on an ex-India to Canada flight, there is no obligation of the airline to do so. Yes, Air Canada offers a complimentary special menu option, but this should not be interpreted as an obligation.

In respect to the purchase of fruit for consumption at the airport or ENROUTE to YYZ, there is nothing wrong with the purchase. If one believes that elderly people are incapable of understanding that no fruit should be brought into Canada, then one should also insist that they should not be flying since this would mean making a false declaration at YYZ. Passengers are required to complete the declaration which specifically asks if fruit is being brought in.

Your claim of superior service from Indian airlines is your opinion and it seems it is yours alone. You reference an article from 7 years ago which really doesn't support your position. What's next, an ode to the bankrupt Kingfisher? There are significant ongoing service and operational issues in the Indian civil airline sector and they are not a secret. You offer the near bankrupt 9W as a reference of quality. Instead of 2011, let's deal with the reality of 2018 and the fact that Air Canada uses both Air India and Jet on its connections within India. You want to offer citations. Fine. Start with these gems;
http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...ine-challenges
Jet Airways has become a prime example of the problems confronting India’s airline industry.........
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/30/econo...ble/index.html

And what's this nonsense about Indigo? How can you compare a bare bones LCC with Air Canada or even the full service US carriers? Indigo is the equivalent of Spirit or Ryan Air. Visatara is a small regional operation of 21 aircraft. Would you compare Porter to AC on routes to India? If not, why then would you toss out a smaller domestic airline? Neither of these operations partners with Air Canada.
sram likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It's not "just the way they are" in any of those places. If one finds themselves being treated rudely, hassled or bullied all across the globe, the common denominator is likely the source of the strife..
Cute. It's not about me. PEK transfer desk is no secret. They treat everyone rudely, including federal MPs. IST is well known for its hassles, , and don't tell me that the LAX's reputation for rude customs and TSA personnel is not earned, as the negative comments are posted. My experience(s) are common to thousands of others who have suffered far worse in any given month.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yulred

Who's comparing events? I'm not. I'm just applying the same reductivist logic to two separate events to demonstrate how daft applying reductivism is in general.

That said, you're quite right that airline service standard in Canada are pretty damn bad relative to the rest of the world. Presumably that's why a lot of AC FT'ers see a case with:

- IT glitches
- poor customer service issue resolution/ "computer says no" attitude
- passenger-side confusion
- rude staff
- inedible food
- baggage shenanigans

and so on, and think "that's normal. Nothing to see here".

Except that it's not normal. Most airlines and their passengers don't consider this type of experience to be run-off-the-mill. They are justified in complaining. As people travel abroad more/experience more airlines products at better price points, the complaints here will increase.

Growing up, I heard some interesting stories about the Aeroflot of Soviet times (which still existed at the time). If you're familiar with the stories, you'll notice that a lot of them might well describe AC today.

You're speaking to me as though I have no concept of travel outside Canada or on other carriers. It's amusing.

By the way, my father used to travel into Leningrad regularly in the early to late 80s. He flew a lot of Aeroflot. I like to believe people are inherently honest, so I absolutely believe you heard stories about Aeroflot like I did. The part that's tripping me up is comparing those to AC now or at any time in history. I wouldn't compare them to Canada3000.

Let me be clear: AC makes me crazy sometimes and I'm no apologist. It's the logical choice for me and I accept the occasional nuisance that comes with it.

I stand my original point that the OP was being sensationalist and as I see it, so are you. In both cases it's entirely your prerogative. Let's agree to disagree.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
The reality is that every airline has its good days and awful days. For the OP, take a wander through the other airline forums on here and you'll see this first-hand. Every carrier - without exception - screws up now and then, and every carrier - without exception - periodically leaves some traveler feeling like they just got robbed and sodomized all at the same time.

Having said that, some airlines manage this more frequently than others. Most of the Asian and European airlines tend to have more good days than awful ones. Some of the US airlines have a lot of bad days while others have become quite good. Air Canada, I'm sorry to say, has been having more problems and having them more frequently for several years now. Many of those poor experiences could have been entirely avoided had the company invested in upgrading its Windows 95-era IT system instead of repeatedly sucking all the profits out of the company in the form of massive executive bonuses year after year.

Air Canada's functional problems stem from horrible IT, which leaves passengers no choice but to interact with staff directly and be subjected to "inconsistent" (I'm being kind here) customer service. But make no mistake - the responsibility for these continuing problems flows directly the corner office.
wrp96 and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Symmetre
The reality is that every airline has its good days and awful days. For the OP, take a wander through the other airline forums on here and you'll see this first-hand. Every carrier - without exception - screws up now and then, and every carrier - without exception - periodically leaves some traveler feeling like they just got robbed and sodomized all at the same time.
Very well said!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: AC SE
What bothers me about this whole story is that AC is well aware of the specific dietary requirements of a good chunk of passengers on its India routes. In all classes of service, including Y, Indian vegetarian meals are catered in sufficient quantity as part of the normal service. They would likely have been better off with the standard meal rather than trying to get a SPML loaded.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 12:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.