Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Worst Airline Experience with Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst Airline Experience with Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Wings100
I have empathy for the OP. And, 14 hours fasting is difficult especially for an elderly couple.
Me too

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
OP, please clarify where you checked in. You say your return flight was BLR to YYZ with connection in MUM. If checking in at BLR, it was not Air Canada serving you at the airport, but most likely the feeder airline (e.g Air India or Jet Airways). Perhaps you should direct much of the complaint at that connecting airline since it is the one servicing you at the airport?

In any case, airlines in India are not known for their quality of service nor customer care, so if there was an issue, it is more a reflection of the locals at the airport than it is of Air Canada. The airline cannot change the local culture. Everyone in Y can expect to be treated abruptly in India. It's the same at other airports. I don't blame AC when I am rudely treated at the transfer desk in PEK, or am hassled in IST or bullied at LAX. It's just the way they are in those places. If you want politeness and respect, pay more and fly via Singapore or Bangkok or Frankfurt. You wanted a cheap ticket, so accept that you will not receive the level of service you expect.

As for this bit of dramatic self entitlement, grow up and take responsibility for your decision
By this time, I was considerably piqued. I ask her how she expects two elderly people to manage on a 14-hour flight without food. She says she’s sorry but can’t do anything.

You were in the airport were you not? And you were well aware that there was an issue. Yet you did not purchase anything to eat at one of the many food outlets. Perhaps the airline could have done better, but the outcome of discomfort was entirely your doing. Were you too cheap to purchase anything? What stopped you from taking a few minutes and purchasing something? As you would have been purchasing a vegetarian option you had the added benefit of being able to purchase something that definitely would keep longer, Fruits and vegetables are readily available in Indian airport food facilities. There are millions of vegetarians flying in India and they have better options there than airports in North America. Don't blame the airline because you made the choice not purchase food.
AI notwithstanding, customer service in India is generally better than anything in North America. 9W, Vistara, Indigo are generally good at customer service (and recovery). Mostly because it's a very competitive market. LH and BA actually ended up providing their staff with India-specific training, and it wasn't aimed at making them worse.

http://www.airlinetrends.com/2011/10/13/lufthansa-britishairways-emirates-India/

That said, when it comes to staff, you get what you pay for in India. And with AC's track record on cutting costs...

Also, I wouldn't recommend buying fruits for NA-bound flights. Some lady got into serious trouble for showing up in the US with a DL-provided apple from France. CBSA could also kick up a stink if they accidentally entered the country with it, and elderly people can be forgetful about these minor things.

But yeah, fly an ME3 (who evidently manage to price dump and be more expensive than AC at the same time - middle eastern magic) EU or Asian airline next time (the SQ option would be ridiculously long for YYZ - South India). I imagine BLR-BOM-YYZ is one of the shorter routings so would command a premium. But maybe it's the cheapest. Who knows.

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
The more you travel the more you realise that these things are just part of the "joys" of travel.
I could write a book of travel misadventures I have experienced over the years. It is what it is.
Well said and very true
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
OP, please clarify where you checked in. You say your return flight was BLR to YYZ with connection in MUM. If checking in at BLR, it was not Air Canada serving you at the airport, but most likely the feeder airline (e.g Air India or Jet Airways). Perhaps you should direct much of the complaint at that connecting airline since it is the one servicing you at the airport?
The check-in was in YYZ, not in BLR. And regarding the buying of the food: yes, they did buy food ultimately at the airport and they would have probably managed somehow. What I was talking about in my original post was the lack of knowledge/training of the customer reps. And please read the original post before commenting. I was talking to the customer rep on the phone 18 hours before my flight about the meal plan. Not at the check-in counter.

Last edited by Radha CR; Oct 28, 2018 at 10:41 am
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’m sorry this was such an ordeal, but the title is unnecessarily dramatic. In the end everything went as it should have.
Stranger and jerry305 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: TK *G
A question for OP, will you fly AC again?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by songsc
A question for OP, will you fly AC again?
Probably not unless I have no other options. I'm definitely not putting my elderly parents on it again.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’m sorry this was such an ordeal, but the title is unnecessarily dramatic. In the end everything went as it should have.
Since we're being pedantic, how can something go "as it should have" and be an "ordeal" at the same time? Sounds like expectations management gone mad.

Only way it makes sense if we're subscribing to the same notion of reductivism that would argue that AC 759 was a non-event because no one died despite several apparent failures occurring along the way. The end end does not justify the means here.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:53 am

This isn't "worst airline experience", this is "slightly mildly disappointed experience" in my eyes.

Sensational title, click-bait style.

Plus, it's well known that travellers having special dietary needs should always bring some emergency food with them.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Radha CR
Probably not unless I have no other options. I'm definitely not putting my elderly parents on it again.
There are always options.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I wonder how many airlines would have managed to switch from 1 special meal order to another at T-18?
SQ did it for me at T-2 in PER -- an outstation no less
Clipper801 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Radha CR
Just to clarify, I had changed the meal option from JML to AVML at T-36 not at T-18, and yes, my parents were served a JML (the meal that I had ordered when I bought the round trip ticket). I suspect that once you've selected a meal on a ticket you are stuck with it on both legs of your journey and their system doesnt allow any updates later. Had the customer rep informed me that they were going to be served a JML, I would have understood (though a little frustrated) but wouldnt have been worried that my parents wouldnt have got any suitable food, neither would I have written this post. But she had no knowledge of this and continually insisted that a spcl meal was never ordered.

Agree I'm not a frequent flyer and that all other airlines probably provide equally bad experiences. But why do you experienced frequent flyers normalize the bad customer experience?
Some airlines don't permit one to order special meals for only some segments: it must be the same special meal (or no special meal at all) for every flight on the same itinerary that offers special meals. This might be why you were unable to change from JML to AVML after the outbound was flown.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:16 pm
Suspended

I'm amazed that people are still complaining about food on aircraft.

I've been flying for over 50 years and since pretty much day one, realized that 'rubber chicken' is what to expect on any airline. By 'rubber chicken', I mean that all airline food is rarely beyond bland and barely edible. I cannot remember the last time I ate any of the main course dishes on any airline. The odd snack item, pick at the salad or desert, that's about it for me and has been as I say since pretty much day one. I have ZERO expectations when it comes to airline food and don't understand why anyone who has flown more than a couple of times in their life would not have the same expectations.

When I fly, I either go without eating or bring my own food on board. That's the only sensible answer there is to airline food.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
The more you travel the more you realise that these things are just part of the "joys" of travel.
I could write a book of travel misadventures I have experienced over the years. It is what it is.
I agree with you. But, we can't forget the fact that there are a handful of service providers who are excellent in what they do. But, of course, they charge a premium. Compared to many other international service providers, I like to rate AC better than the majority. But, I am really sorry for what you had to go through.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I'm amazed that people are still complaining about food on aircraft.

I've been flying for over 50 years and since pretty much day one, realized that 'rubber chicken' is what to expect on any airline. By 'rubber chicken', I mean that all airline food is rarely beyond bland and barely edible. I cannot remember the last time I ate any of the main course dishes on any airline. The odd snack item, pick at the salad or desert, that's about it for me and has been as I say since pretty much day one. I have ZERO expectations when it comes to airline food and don't understand why anyone who has flown more than a couple of times in their life would not have the same expectations.

When I fly, I either go without eating or bring my own food on board. That's the only sensible answer there is to airline food.
Sounds like you haven’t flown much over the 50 years, and never in premium classes. Perhaps broader travel experiences would provide you with a more balanced view. I have enjoyed some excellent meals in Business and First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.