Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Full fare J - Online checkin standby offers Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:53 am
Original Poster

It's a full fare ticket, one way, in paid full J.

At checkin, it offers a Standby option for an earlier flight, but only in Economy. Shouldn't it offer J?

I'll call in to get it done, but is this just another thing that is broken? J is 9.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: AC 75K
If it’s truly full fare J, why wouldn’t you just change the flight?
lallied likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
If it’s truly full fare J, why wouldn’t you just change the flight?
This.

If you actually bought J (the real J), then there's literally no reason to standby.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Because we aren't sure we will make it...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Because we aren't sure we will make it...
But you should still be able to do it as a confirmed change even at the airport. It says two hours but have always seen them comfortable to change right up to flight close if fare rules allow free changes. If cabin you are on now is wide open could also change and if you no-show change flight back (assuming you are in true J)
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Call the concierge and have them monitor you/your flight to see if you are going to make it. I would standby for econo in check in and get it fixed by concierge or at airport. Worst that can happen is you get your original flight in J.

You can always no show for earlier standby without penalty.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
It's a full fare ticket, one way, in paid full J.

At checkin, it offers a Standby option for an earlier flight, but only in Economy. Shouldn't it offer J?

I'll call in to get it done, but is this just another thing that is broken? J is 9.
I have checked in on restricted J in person and asked for an earlier flight and they just gave it to me. So a full fare ticket if that's what it is just show up for the earlier flight and tell them you want that flight assuming it's not full.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd be tempted to accept the standby and see where you appear on the list.

I've found the act of standing by tends to put me in the right place, regardless of whether the agent takes explicit action. For example, if I'm in Y with an eUpgrade request, and I stand by for an earlier flight, I show up on both the J and Y lists, even though the agent is just doing the normal standby procedure.

I've also done standby in full J when I wasn't sure I would make the flight. Bear in mind you'll be processed after eUpgrade requests, meaning if there are a lot of people listed, you won't clear into J.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The earlier you submit the request the higher the chance of clearing assuming you get to the airport on time right?

If you really want to be in J, and the flight is about to closes at J0 Y1 I assume you'd be offered the choice to wait or fly Y. Possibly without a refund on the fare difference.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by jc94
Possibly w Without a refund on the fare difference.
Corrected
jc94 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd be tempted to accept the standby and see where you appear on the list.

I've found the act of standing by tends to put me in the right place, regardless of whether the agent takes explicit action. For example, if I'm in Y with an eUpgrade request, and I stand by for an earlier flight, I show up on both the J and Y lists, even though the agent is just doing the normal standby procedure.

I've also done standby in full J when I wasn't sure I would make the flight. Bear in mind you'll be processed after eUpgrade requests, meaning if there are a lot of people listed, you won't clear into J.
To add to that, there are certain times/places I would standby for an earlier flight if I wasn't sure I could make it (e.g., YYZLGA during IRROPS, or just in the afternoon/evening).

I would not want to be in a position (or put other passengers/ground staff) where I standby clear, don't make it, and my seat has now been given away.

If I was SE, I would likely just concierge it. And if I'm not, I'd just wait until I get to the airport. No one will bat at eye at changing an actual J fare.
​​​​​
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
If I was SE, I would likely just concierge it. And if I'm not, I'd just wait until I get to the airport. No one will bat at eye at changing an actual J fare.
​​​​​
Well you’d hope not. Just don’t use the lounge and cancel it.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:39 pm

delete

Last edited by pitz; Oct 26, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.