Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A Challenge for Route Planning Gurus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Challenge for Route Planning Gurus

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Kudos to the helpers here and good luck with your planning.

I find the discount Prem Econo fares to Europe very reasonable and flying through alternative airports a treat (usually more efficient). The only issue with alternative airports is the paucity of flights if IROPS happen. If you absolutely have to be somewhere at a certain time, make sure you know the options if crap happens.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Maybe you are not feeling great after your DUS-EWR and decide on leaving the airport instead of taking your last flight (B, E, B, N, B):

Heavily pursuing this option today.

Can someone tell me what happens when I just don't show up for the final leg of this trip? (EWR-YUL)

Thanks again for all the help. Love this place!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Can someone tell me what happens when I just don't show up for the final leg of this trip? (EWR-YUL)
If you do this rarely, then nothing will happen.

If you do this often, then it will rain fire and brimstone brought on by the fury of AC.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
If you do this rarely, then nothing will happen.

If you do this often, then it will rain fire and brimstone brought on by the fury of AC.
Only if I make good use of the lounge before skipping the flight...
smallmj likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Only if I make good use of the lounge before skipping the flight...
Haha.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
This thread was great to watch. +1 for FT resources and helping each other.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Still trying to sort out the change fee on the 016 ticket (YVR-SFO-PHL-ORD-YVR). I obviously want to cancel the YVR-SFO-PHL portion but keep the PHL-ORD-YVR. I am waiting to hear from the 3rd party on the cost of this because UA won't tell me directly.

The change with AC for the first part is $337 which is just fine by me. Train ticket from EWR-PHL for <$100. Laundry services (won't be able to check a bag because I'm bailing on the last leg - 2 weeks out of a carry-on is doable but definitely will require some laundry!) ~$100.

Assuming the UA change is <$500, I'm looking at $1000 out of pocket to save myself a couple segments and one extra night on airplanes. Probably worth it to me.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Still trying to sort out the change fee on the 016 ticket (YVR-SFO-PHL-ORD-YVR). I obviously want to cancel the YVR-SFO-PHL portion but keep the PHL-ORD-YVR. I am waiting to hear from the 3rd party on the cost of this because UA won't tell me directly.

The change with AC for the first part is $337 which is just fine by me. Train ticket from EWR-PHL for <$100. Laundry services (won't be able to check a bag because I'm bailing on the last leg - 2 weeks out of a carry-on is doable but definitely will require some laundry!) ~$100.

Assuming the UA change is <$500, I'm looking at $1000 out of pocket to save myself a couple segments and one extra night on airplanes. Probably worth it to me.
2 weeks on the road and the company won’t pay for any laundry?!? Sheesh. Our rule is 5 days. Which I find to be about what I can realistically get in a carry on.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
PHL-YVR is really cheap on the 16th/17th (USD). Far cheaper than a change fee (most likely):

Was the ticket that your 3rd party booked originally for you in something better than Economy?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ridefar

2 weeks on the road and the company won’t pay for any laundry?!? Sheesh. Our rule is 5 days. Which I find to be about what I can realistically get in a carry on.
Our rule is 7 and that's fine for me. I have mastered 8 days in a carry-on.

The whole problem here and what is causing the complication is that the second week of travel is not related to my employer, so I cannot expense whatever comes up because of it.

If my employer had booked this mess for me I would have raised hell.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
PHL-YVR is really cheap on the 16th/17th (USD). Far cheaper than a change fee (most likely):

Was the ticket that your 3rd party booked originally for you in something better than Economy?
No. The return leg is a V fare.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Thanks FT, and particularly @pmarrsouth

All figures CAD

$337 to AC - ($37 fare difference, $300 change fee)
~$100 train ticket
$200 change fee to UA
$359 voucher from UA as credit for canceled outbound flight
$100 laundry
Ability to avoid 3 extra flight segments (DUS-FRA-YVR-SFO-PHL vs DUS-EWR and a train) and countless airplane/airport hours - PRICELESS

NET COST - $378
BlondeBomber and somedude3210 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
:thumb:
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Sorry guys, 1 more question on this.

How do I figure out what AQD I am going to lose out on by skipping the final leg of this trip (EWR-YUL)?

I ask because it matters. With my scheduled travel for this year I am within 10s of dollars (for SE). Literally.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry guys, 1 more question on this.

How do I figure out what AQD I am going to lose out on by skipping the final leg of this trip (EWR-YUL)?

I ask because it matters. With my scheduled travel for this year I am within 10s of dollars (for SE). Literally.
They pro-rate the total AQD by miles. So if you have the totla AQD, you can estimate the miles for each leg and calculate the fraction for that leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.