Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What realistic changes would you like to see onboard AC flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What realistic changes would you like to see onboard AC flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by canopus27
In addition to exterior camera views playing on the IFE (which would be super cool, but I know they'd be expensive for AC to retrofit) .... I'd love to have an option to listen to the cockpit radio communication, like united used to have with channel 9. This shouldn't be considered by anyone as an intrusion on the pilot's privacy, as I'm not asking for a live monitor from the cockpit .... just what's already being broadcast over the radio (and is easily listenable across the internet on sites like liveatc.net).

This doesn't seem like it would be that expensive to provide, but I would really enjoy it - plane geek that I am.
I tried to hit "Like" but it wouldn't take. I totally would like that also, makes flights more interesting. Like Canopus I'm a plane geek (have flown in 52 types) and it would make things fun for those of us that are into that stuff.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by songsc
No change is probably the most realistic change that I would like to see.
You mean no more enhancements?

Originally Posted by canopus27
That's a fascinating observation.

Do you know if that's why the divider was removed, or is that part just a (very reasonable) guess?
If (and that’s a big if) AC removed the curtain to prevent the UK charging more taxes for PY how come the UK still charge more taxes for PY? Probably because it’s also still called PY?

I believe the curtain is also gone on all routes, not just those involving the UK.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: TK *G
@jc94 yes, no further enhancement is probably the best thing that can happen.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Glenlivet 18 please, definition of smooth. Octamore 8.1 for pre-landing peaty kick.
That would be ok for Y or even PY. for J, Macallan 18. thank you.
Also something XO in J - the better airlines dont serve VS or VSOP to premium passengers.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: E35K,Skymiles
Originally Posted by yyznomad

Ok, I've been in AC international Y once, and that was a TPAC in 2011. So, crappy sample size. IIRC, a hot meal and wine was served. Is that gone now?
No, I think hot Y meals are the norm for TPAC or TATL flights due, I believe, to competition. Same reason AC offers pretzels on routes served by Porter.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Keeping it realistic, what changes would you like to see AC make onboard its flights. It can be things that you have seen on other airlines, or once existed but are now gone.

My list:
1. Live TV service on all flights, including international. (Can be just a few channels, like CNN)
2. External cameras
3. Book the cook on international signature service
4. Pyjamas on International signature service
5. Some free wifi for premium and business class passengers
6. A proper breakfast in Y on TATL flights. The banana bread puts AC to shame!
7. Airphones... ok, just kidding about that last one

What would like to see ?

much cleaner planes.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I really wish AC would update the A320 series cabins - not complete refurb, but ensure that the IFE system, headphone jack, and power port works at every seat. I've found that on numerous 4+ hour transcons over the last year that these are consistently broken in both Y and J.

Of course I don't expect AC to replace cabins on planes they'll be retiring soon, but if they're going to be around for a few more years and used on longer segments, I think it's reasonable to expect things to work.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nave888
I really wish AC would update the A320 series cabins - not complete refurb, but ensure that the IFE system, headphone jack, and power port works at every seat. I've found that on numerous 4+ hour transcons over the last year that these are consistently broken in both Y and J.

Of course I don't expect AC to replace cabins on planes they'll be retiring soon, but if they're going to be around for a few more years and used on longer segments, I think it's reasonable to expect things to work.
I suspect there is not much life left in these. In contrast with the 319 and 321, which are newer.

Hence the large orders for 7M8 and A220.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Clean the planes! The lavs, the seat pockets, the walls, the area around the vents, and the whole cabin!

One of the first things I notice when I step onto a LH plane is how clean it is.
Based on this comment I am assuming you frequent the A350. In my experience the old B747s are filthy and the 319/20/21's used within EU are almost as bad.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
.. the 319/20/21's used within EU are almost as bad.
That's not my impression, when comparing with AC's 320s.

Plus, I don't believe LH has any A320 left from the same vintage as AC. Plane being old does not help with the impression of cleanliness.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Upgrade their Economy Plus cabin and service to Premium Economy.
A 14 hour flight from YVR to AKL on NZ will show how its done. Nothing complex or expensive needs to happen.
I'll buy the NZ ticket for them if they implement the changes.
fin 645 and eigenvector like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

After deleting a few post a reminder the thread topic is not how many aircraft types you've flown but rather "What realistic changes would you like to see onboard AC flights" so let's please try and return to this topic.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by expert7700
UK's Air passenger Duty for premium cabins is 200% of the cost per seat of economy cabins.

Guess what defines premium cabins? Not seat size or service level. It is instead defined by the presence of any permanent or removable, sheer or opaque cabin divider.

UK's Air Passenger Duty (APD) tax -- Questions, How to avoid, Refunds if incorrect,..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passenger_Duty
I don't think this is correct. HM Revenue & Customs says:
Classes of travel
If the passengers have different standards of comfort, service, privacy or amenities, they’re in different classes of travel.
This seems to make AC PY a higher class of travel whether or not there is a curtain, and indeed a quick check shows that the 'standard rate' of 156 GBP (same as J) applies to AC PY departing the UK.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Would you settle for a regular single malt 12?
not him, but I would settle for Nikka 12
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I've flown the daytime YYZ-LHR a few times over the past 12 months. Please change the meal service. It is currently breakfast, which doesn't get served until 10 am or so, and then a very light meal 90 mins before landing. Landing is usually around 9pm UK time, which means arriving at a central London hotel at +/- 10:30 pm, too late to easily find a meal. I would prefer a light lunch or a snack after take-off, and then a proper meal before landing.

Good comments up-thread about the omelette. It has got to go.

Final comment, please freshen up the lavs at least every few hours, especially up front. TG, TK, SQ and others seem to able to do it after every other PAX, or at least it seems that way based on the appearance of the lavs.
--
13F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.