Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC employees feared reprisal for reporting safety concerns, Transport Canada found

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC employees feared reprisal for reporting safety concerns, Transport Canada found

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by The Lev
Are we really surprised? I don't think there is a company in Canada where a portion of their employees don't fear reprisal - be it for reporting safety concerns, harassment, reporting poor management or anything else. It's ingrained in our psyche even if the employer takes steps to ensure confidentiality and does not in fact ever enact any reprisal.
I know of one company where I don't feel reprisal.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I know of one company where I don't feel reprisal.
Does every one of your co-workers feel the same way?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by YYC009
Did I read that right? 26,000 safety issues raised in a one year period? And the report suggests that employees are afraid to write up safety concerns? 26,000 concerns were raised/brought forward. That is a strikingly high number and doesn't seem to imply people are afraid to report.
All it implies is that some people aren't afraid to report. It makes no mention of whether other employees retain that fear.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
And what does 26,000 reports even mean? Unless you can put that in some context of reports/worker, or reports/mile or something, and then tell me what the industry average is, it means nothing.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by The Lev
Does every one of your co-workers feel the same way?
I was almost expecting this reply. Sadly I'm not sure. I don't think so. I don't know why.... I have no issue standing up and saying something is wrong, something is unsafe, because I know there is nothing that the company can "directly" do to me. Sure I could be labelled a pain in the arse, and it may cause issues when it comes to advancement or promotions, but honestly I don't really care about that. I'm happy doing my thing, and I know what the union can and cannot do. Am I labelled a ....-disturber? Perhaps. But I know that I can go to sleep at night with a clean conscience knowing that I've always done everything I can do to make a safe system safer.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not sure where ZUR is.
I believe @Transpacificflyer is referring to an AC flight several years ago, IIRC to ZRH (it was a 763 IIRC), when it suddenly "dropped" or "dived" (insert another word that you might find appropriate if these don't work)... but I could be wrong.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: TK *G
Not sure where ZUR is.
As @yyznomad mentioned, I believe it's ZRH. Here is the TSB report: http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-re...2/a11f0012.pdf
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I believe @Transpacificflyer is referring to an AC flight several years ago, IIRC to ZRH (it was a 763 IIRC), when it suddenly "dropped" or "dived" (insert another word that you might find appropriate if these don't work)... but I could be wrong.
Eh, spoiling the fun?

To clarify: it was not transpacificflyer who mentioned ZUR.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Eh, spoiling the fun?

oh oops...
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:53 pm

Eh, spoiling the fun?

Hah - yeah it was I who made the mistake.

AC 878 in 2011, AC 624 in 2015, AC 759 in 2017.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I was almost expecting this reply. Sadly I'm not sure. I don't think so. I don't know why.... I have no issue standing up and saying something is wrong, something is unsafe, because I know there is nothing that the company can "directly" do to me. Sure I could be labelled a pain in the arse, and it may cause issues when it comes to advancement or promotions, but honestly I don't really care about that. I'm happy doing my thing, and I know what the union can and cannot do. Am I labelled a ....-disturber? Perhaps. But I know that I can go to sleep at night with a clean conscience knowing that I've always done everything I can do to make a safe system safer.
I've worked with many people who are afraid to stand up for what they believe is right.

I have no such fear. This sometimes gets me into arguments with management.

But I'm slowly learning to turn the discussion from "we should use titanium bolts" to "we should spend an extra $5/flight to bring the chances of a crash from 0.1% down to 0.01%, which will save us $500/flight".

It only takes a few dollar signs to turn "shut up and do as you're told" into "that's an interesting idea that we should investigate".

Should it be necessary to know how to properly phrase these things? No. Management should be able to do that analysis. A new grad with a good idea shouldn't be dismissed.

But you can make a lot more progress if you can sell your ideas.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:02 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
An excellent point.

Understanding how to put ideas/suggestions/opinions into a context that the target audience understands is one of the essentials of communications regardless of the situation.

Personality type or cultural background aside, most often a fear of standing up is a learned response to bad experiences with (probably) poor leadership. And it is really tough to earn trust back once it has been lost.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.