FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: SDC to J on Aeroplan Booking? (Confirmed in Y, ticketed in J) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1935532-sdc-j-aeroplan-booking-confirmed-y-ticketed-j.html)

tng11 Oct 14, 2018 6:49 am

SDC to J on Aeroplan Booking? (Confirmed in Y, ticketed in J)

I seem to recall that the following is possible, but after scouring a large number of threads, I couldn't seem to find a answer for the following scenario:

I'm flying YYZ-YVR-HND, YYZ-YVR being in Y and YVR-HND in NH J on an Aeroplan redemption this Sunday. I know I could get on the waitlist for J since I paid J miles, but I want some certainty that I'll get J.

Could I get to the airport early, pay the SDC fee and get myself confirmed in J for YYZ-YVR on an earlier flight? Or would I only be entitled to change to a Y seat on another flight, even though I have a Aeroplan J ticket?

On the return, I am doing YVR-YYC-YYZ, first segment in Y, second in J. YYC-YVR departs 20:30, arrives YYC 22:56. YYC-YYZ departs 00:30. Should I be able to SDC these two segments to YVR-YYZ direct - specifically the red-eye departure? (assuming J availability)

expert7700 Oct 14, 2018 7:00 am

On the origin if all AC flights are confirmed in Y, I have never been able to SDC to any J seat.

On the return flight, if you go to YVR early you it is likely you will be able to confirm SDC for the fee to a nonstop (but still a gray area I believe). If your route was ACJ cxn ACY it's a much easier sell to change to a nonstop ACJ but I have had some luck doing what you say.

Keep in mind that by SDC to the late yvr-yyz you are giving up full AC signature meal service in favor of the very abridged french omelette or the english omelette service...

canadiancow Oct 14, 2018 12:37 pm

If there is I-space on the flight, you can do the change through Aeroplan and get it confirmed in J.

If there is no I-space, the SDC is going to keep you in X.

Plumber Oct 14, 2018 5:46 pm

I have a reverse question.

A Freud’s is booked YOW-YYZ—WAW in J cabin on an Aeroplan. Redemption.

The problem is that there was only one flight available to them YOW-YYz , so they now have a q4 hour connection In YYZ.

On the the day of the flight, I know can they SDC to a much later YOW-YYZ flight for the J cabin. But if only Y cabin has space, can they SDC from Jcabin to Y cabin for that short flight?

canadiancow Oct 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Yes, easily. And then they could be waitlisted for J in case of any no-shows.

yyz_atc_qq Oct 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by tng11 (Post 30313825)
YVR-HND in NH J on an Aeroplan redemption this Sunday. I know I could get on the waitlist for J since I paid J miles

No one seems to have dealt with the original problem in the post. The YVR-HND segment is on NH, using the "onload" list (is that the right term @canadiancow ??) works on AC metal for J awards where a segment is in Y, but I was always under the impression that it ONLY applies to AC metal.

canadiancow Oct 14, 2018 6:07 pm

OP is asking about the AC segment.

yyz_atc_qq Oct 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30315529)
OP is asking about the AC segment.

I need to read more, or drink less.

tng11 Oct 21, 2018 11:05 am

Ended up upgraded to J on AC183 this morning! I would have thought YYZ-YVR would be a tough one to get off the waitlist for J from Y, considering elites on this route. No status, but just flying on a good ol' Aeroplan J redemption. :)

cperciva Oct 21, 2018 6:26 pm

I thought J-ticketed pax had priority over eups?

24left Oct 21, 2018 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by tng11 (Post 30339628)
Ended up upgraded to J on AC183 this morning! I would have thought YYZ-YVR would be a tough one to get off the waitlist for J from Y, considering elites on this route. No status, but just flying on a good ol' Aeroplan J redemption. :)

Congrats!

i will add the following, you flew Sunday morning.
Don't try this on most weekday afternoons YVR-YYZ for eg.
I am always connecting from TPAC to these flights 118,120,124,126 (red-eye).
There is always an endless number of people waiting to clear at the gate and it's not pretty when the announcement is made that J is now full.

Heading west in the mornings, I'm on 101 or 183, less so, 103. 101 and 183 often have spots open. (There is sometimes a nice assortment of dead-heading pilots to keep me company :D. ) 103 is the 77 HD with only 28 J. Also, it's now into Fall and 183 is out of the rotation, so even if less busy season, there is one less early morning wide-body. Just my observations.

yyznomad Oct 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by cperciva (Post 30340946)
I thought J-ticketed pax had priority over eups?

Yes.

Stranger Oct 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30340986)
Yes.

Paid, yes. Aeroplan, no.

pitz Oct 22, 2018 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 30341054)
Paid, yes. Aeroplan, no.

Doesn't appear to be a distinction per the previous poster's comments. Lots of controversy surrounding the topic, of course.... I'll just leave it at that...