Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possible New Long Haul Air Canada Routes in the next 5 years

Possible New Long Haul Air Canada Routes in the next 5 years

Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Exactly this. With the current political climate in the US, it's a good time for AC to expand into Central/South America to offer travellers connections to Asia and Europe without needing to transit the US.
Redacted
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Agree. YYC will struggle to maintain its existing long haul routes, with the exception of perhaps LHR.
I think FRA and LHR are safe. NRT is at risk. But other carriers are fine (BA will return, KLM is doing OK) and obviously WS will continue to grow YYC.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I think FRA and LHR are safe. NRT is at risk. But other carriers are fine (BA will return, KLM is doing OK) and obviously WS will continue to grow YYC.
It's just unfortunate that AC is cutting their investment into YYC. Every time I'm in the city I really enjoy it, it's the gateway to the Rockies, and the new airport expansion is beautiful. It would be interesting if AC made YYC a backup to YVR for flights to Asia. YYC is only ~1hr farther from cities in Asia than YVR, and it would relieve congestion in YVR, allowing AC to add new routes to Southeast Asia and/or South America out of YVR.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's just unfortunate that AC is cutting their investment into YYC. Every time I'm in the city I really enjoy it, it's the gateway to the Rockies, and the new airport expansion is beautiful. It would be interesting if AC made YYC a backup to YVR for flights to Asia. YYC is only ~1hr farther from cities in Asia than YVR, and it would relieve congestion in YVR, allowing AC to add new routes to Southeast Asia and/or South America out of YVR.
1. Careful with the airport thing. Not everyone agrees.

2. YYC is likely less than one hour more than YVR from most places in Asia.

3. However this is mainly WS territory. Asia-bound traffic originating here is substantially less than from YVR.

The NRT flight is predicated upon Japanese tourism in the Banff area. Very popular in Japan. Still, borderline because largely low fare. Didn't I hear the flight exist only because it's subsidized locally?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:56 pm

Watch out for YYZ-MNL or YYZ-CRK
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by pitz
I thought of LIM-YVR, BOG-YVR, but the 73M can't do it, and filling a 788 or A330 might be quite a stretch economics-wise. Even an A321LR Neo wouldn't do. These are rare routes for which the hypothetical Boeing "MoM" aircraft (ie: a 757 replacement) would be needed. Or the 767 I guess.
Then again, if Colombians and Peruvians are desperate to avoid the USA when travelling to Asia, they really don't have a lot of good options other than to use AC.
Good analysis re AC's aircraft types.
Maybe not so much re South Americans desperate to avoid the US having no other options than AC ("pssst" says AeroMexico).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:20 am

A restart of SVO comes to mind as a potential money-maker; CKG as well.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by discoseal
A restart of SVO comes to mind as a potential money-maker; CKG as well.
SVO, restart? When did AC ever fly there? If they did, must be a *very* long time ago. As to CKG, since the time it stopped being the KMT capital, has been a non-starter.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by imverge
I'm surprised AC hasn't started service to South Africa.
I was curious what that would look like from a routing perspective from Vancouver, so I google-mapped it up: https://goo.gl/maps/koHNfzExjVw

...obviously not a $$$ viable route, but an interesting intellectual exercise.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
SVO, restart? When did AC ever fly there?
Don't know when the service ended, but here's a blurb about AC's Moscow service in the late 60s:

Postcard from Moscow | Air Canada enRoute

Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
Don't know when the service ended, but here's a blurb about AC's Moscow service in the late 60s:

Postcard from Moscow Air Canada enRoute
Actually Nov. 1966, on a DC-8, an extra leg on flights YUL-CPH. Now how long did it last?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Its not that AC wants to cut investment
Its this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ttlenecks-bite
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by gglave
They actually used a photo of St. Basil's under construction as part of a marketing campaign? Wow.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Good analysis re AC's aircraft types.
Maybe not so much re South Americans desperate to avoid the US having no other options than AC ("pssst" says AeroMexico).
NRT, ICN, and PVG. And MEX's altitude and temperature probably is going to be quite a limit to a widescale expansion.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Masterceewhy
Watch out for YYZ-MNL or YYZ-CRK
I can't imagine MNL serviced in anything other than ACr but I don't think the 763 has that range

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.